Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DeaconKC said:
O, fair warning. Don't be alarmed when you discover the "BOX OF HOLSTERS" you have somehow accumulated. Welcome to the club.........

In an emergency you can use them for soup.

Sean

Familiar Face
my remington 870 express magnum!!!!

DSC_0150.jpg

mace85

New in Town
John in Covina said:
There are about 26 states where you may still own full auto suppressors and other "controlled" firearms which tends to totally amaze those from the non states. Something about a tax stamp and background checks by the Feds ATF.

Anyway, on numerous visits to Nevada which is a can own state one may visit a variety of guns stores with indoor ranges and learn of the pleasures of renting full auto guns as well as "silenced" guns. I really enjoyed shooting a Mac (10?) in 45 ACP with a great suppressor. It was awesome and being able to hear the brass hit the floor was both startling and amusing. I am drawn to H&K's MP5 which is a joy to shoot. One of these days I'd like to shoot the Rugar 10/22 they had which was full auto and supressed, I'd be tempted to sign my initials in the target with it. JE

The number of these legally in the hands of citizens is a pretty high number and i believe the record on muders with a legally held full auto in all the years since this set up is only one if I am not mistaken.

I believe you are correct about the crime rate with legally owned title II weapons. And I think that one crime was committed by a police officer with a department issued weapon. So it wasn't even a privately owned weapon. I will have to find a source for that though. But it makes sense. No one would spend that kind of money on the gun and paperwork to lose it for something stupid.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mace85 said:
I believe you are correct about the crime rate with legally owned title II weapons. And I think that one crime was committed by a police officer with a department issued weapon. So it wasn't even a privately owned weapon. I will have to find a source for that though. But it makes sense. No one would spend that kind of money on the gun and paperwork to lose it for something stupid.

To keep it vintage, prior to 1934 Thompson's, BAR's (and suppressors) could be bought over the gun counter at Sears or even mail-ordered. The bad guys still didn't buy them at that point, they typically stole their firepower from poorly guarded police and National Guard armories.

Why spend hard-(not)earned money or steal one at a time from a gun store when you could get a truckload at once?

mace85

New in Town
My pics

Well here are my pics.

Top to bottom:
Form 1 AR-15 SBR. Homebuild, Bushmaster XM-15, Mossberg 500 saddles carry B&P low recoil slugs, Hornady low recoil buckshot, and 12 ga Pepperball rounds.

IMG_4412.jpg

CZ-82 with holster and laynard and FEG PA-63

IMG_4416.jpg

Pre-Lock S&W Model 17, Ruger GP-100 .357 mag, Ruger SP-101 .357 mag with CTC laser grips.

IMG_4414.jpg

Kimber Custom II (custom build).45 ACP, STI Trojan 9X19 (USPSA/IPSC gun), Custom built Colt Series 80 Commander .45 ACP

IMG_4415.jpg

Glock 17 (removed finger grooves and stippled grips), Glock 23C, Walther P-22, Kel-Tec P-32, Kahr CW-40.

IMG_4417.jpg

Using a "CAN"

carebear said:
To keep it vintage, prior to 1934 Thompson's, BAR's (and suppressors) could be bought over the gun counter at Sears or even mail-ordered. The bad guys still didn't buy them at that point, they typically stole their firepower from poorly guarded police and National Guard armories. Why spend hard-(not)earned money or steal one at a time from a gun store when you could get a truckload at once?
Maxim of the machine gun fame had developed a silencer (suppressor AKA can) that was really effective and was as described above available at many hardware stores. The use with a 22 was supposed to help home owners eliminate pest problems without alarming the neighbors. (As opposed to eliminating the neighbors.) Use by the underworld made that handy item out of the reach of many.

As to surpressors, some years back I did get to shoot a Mac-10 full auto in 45ACP with a suppressor at "The Gun Store" in Las Vegas and it was really enlightening. Hearing the brass hit the floor was a novel experience.

Yeah, but The Gun Store's prices are ridiculous. If you wanna try Title II, the places to do it are either Knob Creek, Albany Rifle & Pistol Club in Oregon, or if you have a Class 2 or 3 FFL/SOT-licensed manufacturer or dealer you know who might be willing to allow you to "assist" with a "test-firing" session...:D

Story

I'll Lock Up
To keep it vintage..

carebear said:
To keep it vintage, prior to 1934 Thompson's, BAR's (and suppressors) could be bought over the gun counter at Sears or even mail-ordered. The bad guys still didn't buy them at that point, they typically stole their firepower from poorly guarded police and National Guard armories.
Why spend hard-(not)earned money or steal one at a time from a gun store when you could get a truckload at once?

The relative cost of automatic weapons made them incredibly expensive and beyond the reach of the average Joe pre-WWII : the 1928 Thompson was going for around $300, which was roughly the price of a generic automobile. By comparison, I think the 1911 .45 Auto was going for $11-13 (something like that).

When the National Firearms Act of 1934 was passed, it mandated a $200 tax stamp for Class III weapons. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

As an aside, in 1928 Ira Goldberg was peddling Thompsons to Philadelphia's gangsters in complete violation of his agreement with Auto Ordnance (General Thompson's firm) and yet, Goldberg's is still in business today. :eusa_doh:

It wasn't until after WWII that all manner of automatic weapons came back as surplus, either in a dufflebag or sold mail-order to those who missed their chance to snag a souvenir.

Diamondback said:
Yeah, but The Gun Store's prices are ridiculous. If you wanna try Title II, the places to do it are either Knob Creek, Albany Rifle & Pistol Club in Oregon, or if you have a Class 2 or 3 FFL/SOT-licensed manufacturer or dealer you know who might be willing to allow you to "assist" with a "test-firing" session...:D
Opportunity doesn't place me anywheres near the above listed suggestions. Las Vegas is only a hop skip and a jump away. Factor in the travel time & $ shooting one Title II in Vegas is all I need. I don't need to get all hopped up on what i can't own in Cali.

warbird

One Too Many
If you are going to carry and its Inside the Waist Band IWB, get yourself a top quality holster. I recommend Milt Sparks. They make just about the best holsters around IMO and I have used many different brands. They handmake a holster that not only isn't much more than many mass made holsters, but you usually have to wait a few weeks, but they are works of art, made by craftsmen. As good a holster as has ever been made. A holster is not something to chince on.

warbird

One Too Many
I believe the 30-06 is the best overall round for hunting you can find. It is extremely versatile depending on bullet weight.

There are several other good choices that have versatility depending on the loads, specifically the 300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 308 and my personal favorite, the venerable .375 H&H. Any of those guns will take large game, the 375 will take any of the largest and importantly most dangerous game on earth.

As with any good caliber, a dependable rifle is of utmost importance. I urge no one tries to skimp on that fact. Cheap rifles mean cheap actions. If you are hunting anything where the possibility of dangerous game exists, have a very dependable gun. There are many choices from fairly inexpensive to very very expensive. Though I have many bolt actions, I am a hold out of a dying breed of hunters who believes dangerous game is best hunted with double rifles.

Many prefer a 44 mag sidearm. My choice for years has been my S&W 681 357 with a 4"bbl. If I have to shoot something with a pistol it is likely already on me, the shot will be at point blank range and I will be shooting to save what is left of me. A 357 will do as good as anything at that range and is manageable with one hand. If they are charging from a distance you better use your rifle and be accurate, you wont be shooting anything from a distance with a pistol. I don't care how good you are, a bear coming at you will not make accuracy easy. And they are all so fast, even bears, they can be on you before you can even cycle the bolt on a rifle, much less yank out a pistol and try to fire from some distance. Also carry a good knife. A nice Bowie is an excellent back up as well. Some scoff at such things, screw that I want several options when in that situation.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gents - thanks for spilling my coffee!!

Slow day at work? The naked men images just don't work in here gentlemen and just ruined a good cup of Joe!! I'll concede for now with the nuns and the guns.

Back on topic please ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn