Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Highlander said:
Well, I've always wanted a set of dueling pistols. I couldn't afford an original set of nice pistols, so I purchased a set of Pedersoli, Charles Moore English Flintlock Dueling Pistols, and then proceeded to make a box (a prototype of the walnut one I intend to make from some 100 year old walnut in my Dad's Barn). Here's a quick look.
CharlesMooreset-vi.jpg

I've been looking to try and cast some silver balls (werewolves are rampant in my area), but silver doesn't cast well, so I have gotten a lead silver mix and may get that done one day too.

Pure silver shrinks too much when it cools. For bullets, as opposed to balls, you can cast up a oversized rod and mill them to diam on a lathe.

At least that's my plan if a plague of werewolves breaks out locally. For now most of my planning is for the inevitable Zombie Apocolypse. :D

-edit-

read the whole thread before replying next time Carberry

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'm trying so hard not to be jealous of so many things in this thread. You guys aren't making it easy! :rage:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
indycop said:
...I served with the M16 and was a 60 gunner but I have to say when I picked up the M1 it was quite a feeling!... As old as the rifle is it is more solid than any modern weapon I carried in the service!

Got your thumb caught? ;) The finest rifle in the world.
but luggin a 60 builds character....;)

carebear

Michaelshane said:
Silver doesn't shrink anymore than lead does,I melt and cast w/silver for a living,you just have to get it hot enough,

That's not what I've read, it appears to be confirmed in the article above. [huh]

I've read that if you use a lead bullet mold with molten silver, the bullets will come out consistently and (caliber-wise) significantly undersized.

But I haven't done it myself so that's all I have to go on.

Still, I'd rather use a lathe to get the correct diameter and, as John suggests, swage them into empty jackets. It's got to be easier to cast a plain rod or bar than a gas-checked bullet.

carebear

Harp said:

If that's your thing. ;)

I'm sure the guys stuck carrying the Lewis guns and BAR's were told the same story. Golden Era character. :D

WH1

Practically Family
Harp said:

that explains why everyone keeps telling me I'm quite a character:p 2 years hauling the pig! funny but the 240 has never had the same feel as the M60 and I aint talking about the friggin rambo A3 gay guy model!

WH1

Practically Family
At least that's my plan if a plague of werewolves breaks out locally. For now most of my planning is for the inevitable Zombie Apocolypse. :D

Zombies!!!:rage: We are planning as well for the next big outbreak, just finished reading Max Brooks, Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z.
Had to the FOB at Bagram is full of them. walking around aimlessly, no clue, a meaningless existance!lol

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Any other vintage side by side or Edwardian shooters here.

I love shooting vintage side by side shotguns. When I lived in Virginia I used to go to the Southern SXS shoot, great fun. I never managed to go up to the Vintage cup though, and just when I left the mid-Atlantic region is when they moved it to Pintail Point... Drat.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
carebear said:
That's not what I've read, it appears to be confirmed in the article above. [huh]

I've read that if you use a lead bullet mold with molten silver, the bullets will come out consistently and (caliber-wise) significantly undersized.

But I haven't done it myself so that's all I have to go on.

Still, I'd rather use a lathe to get the correct diameter and, as John suggests, swage them into empty jackets. It's got to be easier to cast a plain rod or bar than a gas-checked bullet.
This is farther on in the article
"However, the very best castings are perfectly sized, and presumably deadly."
Also you don't need a carbon coating in the mould,just squirt a little WD-40 or 3 in one oil in and pour in the silver.The oil will flame up,creating a reducing atmosphere,and viola.....I make silver ingots all the time,I made one today.Believe me folks I've been doing this for many many years.

carebear

Michaelshane said:
This is farther on in the article
"However, the very best castings are perfectly sized, and presumably deadly."
Also you don't need a carbon coating in the mould,just squirt a little WD-40 or 3 in one oil in and pour in the silver.The oil will flame up,creating a reducing atmosphere,and viola.....I make silver ingots all the time,I made one today.Believe me folks I've been doing this for many many years.

That's after they designed and had built a custom oversized mold to allow for the shrinkage. The standard-sized lead mold used first ended up with sub-caliber silver bullets.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
carebear said:
That's after they designed and had built a custom oversized mold to allow for the shrinkage. The standard-sized lead mold used first ended up with sub-caliber silver bullets.
I guess size isn't as critical in jewelry as it is in a rifled barrel....I yield.:eek:

shortbow

Practically Family
Undersized balls would be no problem in a muzzle loader because you can just use the appropriate patch. Hey, come to think of it, you could do the same thing with conicals in a breach loader if you paper patched.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
If that's your thing. ;)

I'm sure the guys stuck carrying the Lewis guns and BAR's were told the same story. Golden Era character. :D

I was the kid and got the heavyliftin'. :whip: lol
Used a BAR later in Macedonia; tried to steal a few 60s w/o luck. :eek:

warbird

One Too Many
Chasseur said:
I love shooting vintage side by side shotguns. When I lived in Virginia I used to go to the Southern SXS shoot, great fun. I never managed to go up to the Vintage cup though, and just when I left the mid-Atlantic region is when they moved it to Pintail Point... Drat.

I'll be there in just a couple of weeks. Can't wait. I like any sporting clays event vintage or not, but especially like the vintage SxS events.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
warbird said:
Any other vintage side by side or Edwardian shooters here.

Love SxSs, and for years shot nothing but; tastes differ, of course...but to my mind, that's what a shotgun is SUPPOSED to look like, preferably with double triggers and straight stocked. My particular interest is American field (and Skeet) shooting in the 1920s/early 30s....and my background is in pretty heavy-duty historicist reenacting....where the MOST common thing is what one should be aiming for. I always thought pump guns looked like plumbing--still do!--but that was the American thing for average folks. So eventually, I found a Model 1912 (the brief-lived precursor to the Model 12; mine was made in July 1913) in great shape at a price I could afford...and with a cylinder barrel. It's not aesthetic...but it's historically correct, and (as it turns out) I shoot it quite well. For my upland hunting, I basically always carry a SxS...I just feel safer with the ease of being able to break the gun to get over our many stone walls, etc. here in New England, and the fact that when meeting another hunter, he can see clearly that the gun is safe.

You won't see me at any of the vintage shoots...I have no interest in competitive shooting at all (although it goes without saying I try to shoot my best every time I get up to the peg)....but for those who do, more power to you!

"Skeet"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy