Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Get both.

Oh, wait, nevermind.

PIE!!

Uh...

Actually, unless you just want a shooter I'd pass. The price is low, but you will spend more than $300 getting it refinished correctly. If you want a collector piece, that does not sound like it. If you want a shooter then you would be okay.

Chris Dillon

Familiar Face
However, it can be said that the chrome is actually a part of it's history since it was done by the vet that picked it up, ugly as it may be. Its really a shame but the allies LOVED to embellish their acquisitions. I think this just adds character.

That being said, I think I would save for an un-touched original.

Levallois

Practically Family
Merwin Hulbert circa 1880, second model pocket, 5-shot 38 cal, 5 1/2-inch barrel, and engraved in the classic punch-dot style with a schooner on the side panel - it's got some milkiness and flaking of the nickel finish but if it didn't then I wouldn't have been able to afford it. Thanks for looking.

John

DSC01496.jpg

DSC01502.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I couldn't find anything (because I'm probably blind), but does anyone have experience with the S&W Model 19 .357?

Pictures would be nice, but I need first-hand experiences! Any help is much appreciated.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Undertow said:
I couldn't find anything (because I'm probably blind), but does anyone have experience with the S&W Model 19 .357?

Pictures would be nice, but I need first-hand experiences! Any help is much appreciated.

Carried a stainless Model 19 with a 3" barrel and standard S&W wood grips. Nice revolver...well balanced, accurate and no problems with recoil. Wish I still had it! It looked like this one:

19a.jpg

Undertow said:
I couldn't find anything (because I'm probably blind), but does anyone have experience with the S&W Model 19 .357? Pictures would be nice, but I need first-hand experiences! Any help is much appreciated.

Not first hand but a friend of mine has several S&W revolvers he spoke highly of the Model 19.

I had a model #19 S&W 4" barrel..which was a very fine shooter. However..I sold it to purchase a 3" barrel Mo.#66 that is kind of rare...and is really the same as the Mo.#19 but in stainless version..smooth trigger..dif sights. Sadly it seems that neither are in production any more. I'm not sure that S&W even makes a K frame .357 now. Possibly only the L frame.
HD

The model on top is the larger N frame .44 mag 3" barrel in stainless...the second revolver is the K frame mo. 66 in .357 2 1/2" barrel..same frame and size as the mo. 19 but instead of blued finish it is stainless. Third is the smaller J frame .38 2" barrel...and lastly a .22 caliber 4" Barrel S&W for comparison.

100_0465.jpg

anon`

One Too Many
Guttersnipe said:
Given to my Grandpa new as a present for his ninth birthday in 1926...
It's a damn shame, you know. Kids these days never get guns for birthdays and longer, it seems! (I was given a rifle on my 10th birthday. My grandfather bought it when I was born, and gave explicit instructions to that effect.)
Great history behind that pistol!

On a slightly related note, anyone remember this rifle?
DSCN3948x.JPG

I'd always been under the impression that my grandfather bought this from a guy, stateside, in the late '40s or early '50s. But a couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to read about 18 months' worth of letters that he sent to his folks between early 1944 and 1946, while he was in the Army. Turns out this was a war trophy he picked up in Germany in 1945 and mailed home.

-----
And completely unrelated, regarding 1911 thumb safeties: Colt still produces WWI-style safeties. Midway has them listed constantly, though they're often backordered. The only catch is that they're blued steel, if you demand matching finishes. The only current-production 1911 of which I'm aware, really looks the part of a period piece and is available off the shelf in blue runs at about $1k and, oddly enough, already has that safety installed.

Levallois

Practically Family
Great looking Mannlicher , especially with the family history ! I had one and foolishly sold it. Thanks for showing it off. But I can't say that I approve of the use of a Colt for a trigger stand.

Mav

A-List Customer
Undertow said:

G-d Himself carries a Model 19.
I regularly carry a 2.5" bbl. model, as my daddy in his F.B.I. days did, and still does, though retired, now. I'm such a rabid believer and enthusiast that I gave my wife a stainless version (model 66- she named it "Maggy", and keeps it in her purse) as a wedding present.
Hey- I'm an incurable romantic.
I've run more rounds through mine than I can count ( .38 +P, the K frame is a tad too light for a steady diet of .357, but when the SHTF, they love .357 Hydra Shoks). Taurus makes a more than acceptable knock- off, at a lower price, and unquestioned warrany policy, than S&W, who largely suck these days. It's an ingenious design for a lightweight combat magnum.
What questions do you have? They shoot great, conceal great, and are pretty. Slap a set of fake ivory Micarta grips on it, and you've got a dandy, deadly, gentleman's piece. Get one.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I missed this inquiry about the Model 19 before. The Model 19 was the first revolver I fired (not counting a Dan Wesson .22). It remains one of my favorites, and is an extremely pleasant shooter with .38 Specials or +Ps.

I have a strong sentimental attachment to that one in particular. My father brought it back from Southeast Asia.

-Dave

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
'Anon,

Beuatiful Mannlicher! A familly friend of ours picked one almost identical during his service in Germany in the early 1960s.

Guttersnipe: love that little .32! I'd like to get one of those small break tops one day.

Chris Dillon

Familiar Face
anon` said:
DSCN3948x.JPG

I'd always been under the impression that my grandfather bought this from a guy, stateside, in the late '40s or early '50s. But a couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to read about 18 months' worth of letters that he sent to his folks between early 1944 and 1946, while he was in the Army. Turns out this was a war trophy he picked up in Germany in 1945 and mailed home.

Gorgeous!! And a great story along with!:eusa_clap

shortbow

Practically Family
Can't really argue with you M19 addicts, but for my purposes I like the old M13 better, with the heavy barrel and the smooth sites. Like the older style vibe better, no chance of the site getting knocked about or hung up. My favorite modern wheel gun. If I couldn't get my mitts on an old 1911, it would be my pick if I could only have one belly gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy