Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

flyfishark

Practically Family
My wife has a Smith and Wesson 329PD--the scandium-titanium 44 mag revolver. She wears a 6.5 glove, the the grip fits her perfectly. (she shoots 44 specials, not mags at this point). She loves the gun. I shoot a S&W 686 357 Mag--both are 4" barrels, and we wouldn't trade them. We got rid of our Kimbers 45s because of the maintenence required every 800 rounds. My wife uses a gun purse--the perfect way to carry. The short barrels (I have a 2" 38 Specal) are fine if you're used to shooting, but my wife had one and the damned thing ate her hand. She's sticking with the 4" barrel.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I am 6'2", a solid 240, been shooting for 40+ years and there is no way I would shoot a scandium 44 recreationally. I have a 44 mag S&W with a 3" barrel and Hogue grips and the recoil is not bad at all. However, that same gun with the scandium frame is a monster. If I were backpacking in bear country I would prefer to carry the scandium frame but they are definitly not every day shooters of for a newbie.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I am 6'2", a solid 240, been shooting for 40+ years and there is no way I would shoot a scandium 44 recreationally. I have a 44 mag S&W with a 3" barrel and Hogue grips and the recoil is not bad at all. However, that same gun with the scandium frame is a monster. If I were backpacking in bear country I would prefer to carry the scandium frame but they are definitly not every day shooters of for a newbie.

That is a pretty good philosophy for any scandium frame gun, except for bear country, 38 and 357 a bit lacking in power.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Found elsewhere, posting here and leaving a trail for the original photographer.

rwe9K.jpg

Myah, see?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
As I happen to live in bear country :eeek:,....does anyone have recommendations as to a good bear defense gun? .357 or .44 magnum??,.or perhaps .45 or .50?,...I'm talking monster 600 lb. + grizzly bears here, and ONE shot.

Rathdown

Practically Family
As I happen to live in bear country :eeek:,....does anyone have recommendations as to a good bear defense gun? .357 or .44 magnum??,.or perhaps .45 or .50?,...I'm talking monster 600 lb. + grizzly bears here, and ONE shot.
No handgun will deliver a reliable ONE SHOT kill against a Grizzly Bear, regardless of caliber. The minimum I would consider for use against black bear would be a .357 Magnum with a 148 grain semi-jacketed soft point bullet, and at that I would expect to need three shots to stop (or seriously slow down) a bear. Even a .44 Magnum loaded with soft nose bullets would still be less than optimal, but probably better than a .357 Magnum. For bear, especially Grizzly, I'd recommend a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs as probably the most effective choice. But even at that, I wouldn't expect any one shot stops.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It may sound strange, but another good thing to carry in bear and mouton lion country is one of those air horns like at sporting events. Most animals shy away from loud noises, thats why quite a few bicycle riders have been killed over the years by mountain lions, but no motorcycle riders. To an animal, even a quite off road bike with stock mufflers and spark arresters are Harley straight pipe loud. I know, I have come across black bears on my motorcycles, a little rev of the engine and they are heading in the opposite direction.

Philip A.

Familiar Face
The only way to stop any animal in its tracks is by incapacitating the central nervous system, i.e. a brain or upper spinal cord shot.

We don't have bears here in Africa, but we do have some pretty nasty stuff, big and tough.

The key to stop a charge is not the caliber of the bullet, but shot placement and bullet behavior - directly linked to bullet construction and shape.

At handgun velocities, the best bullets available for deep and straight penetration are hard lead flat nose bullets ("Keith" FN and their derivatives).

Get a good bullet in a gun that you handle proficiently, and your bacon will be much safer than relying on a howitzer dumping humongous amounts of whatever all over the place.

Foot-pounds and loud noises don't kill. Holes in the right places do.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
No handgun will deliver a reliable ONE SHOT kill against a Grizzly Bear, regardless of caliber. The minimum I would consider for use against black bear would be a .357 Magnum with a 148 grain semi-jacketed soft point bullet, and at that I would expect to need three shots to stop (or seriously slow down) a bear. Even a .44 Magnum loaded with soft nose bullets would still be less than optimal, but probably better than a .357 Magnum. For bear, especially Grizzly, I'd recommend a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs as probably the most effective choice. But even at that, I wouldn't expect any one shot stops.
Hmm,..my late uncle lived in Alaska, and he told me that everyone there carried a .357 when out and about, in case of grizzlies. Black bears are not as bad, and generally not as aggressive. One shot to the heart and I think a bear will go down. But that is a lucky shot at best if one happens to stumble upon a bear with no warning. I think I would want an automatic to be sure of getting the bear before it got me. And yes, I know noise is the best deterrent but it's not always possible. I may just invest in a Desert Eagle one day.

Last edited:

Rathdown

Practically Family
Hmm,..my late uncle lived in Alaska, and he told me that everyone there carried a .357 when out and about, in case of grizzlies. Black bears are not as bad, and generally not as aggressive. One shot to the heart and I think a bear will go down. But that is a lucky shot at best if one happens to stumble upon a bear with no warning. I think I would want an automatic to be sure of getting the bear before it got me. And yes, I know noise is the best deterrent but it's not always possible. I may just invest in a Desert Eagle one day.
A couple of things:
When the .357 Magnum was introduced to the shooting public in the 1930s, it was regarded as the be-all and end-all of handguns, surpassing the performance of both the .45 Long Colt and the .44 Special (the .44 Magnum didn't come along until the 1950s). As a result, many shooters imbued the caliber with performance characteristics that the .357 Magnum flat out didn't have, and legendary "big game" stopping power was one of those "rural myths" that even today attach to the cartridge, and the pistols that fire it.

The other myth about stopping power is that a shot to the heart will instantly kill or totally incapacitate an animal. Not true; a human assailant, shot thru the heart will have at least 4 seconds of brain activity before lack of fresh oxygen will cause the individual to become woozy and pass out; a grizzly, receiving a similar wound may last as long as 20 seconds, more than enough time to kill it's assailant (you) even though conventional wisdom may suggest that the bear is "dead".

In broad terms, as Phil has pointed out, what "kills" is ex-sanguination (ie depriving the brain of oxygen, which in turn shuts down the central nervous system); and what encourages rapid death is rapid bleed out, and the bigger the hole, the more like this is to occur.

Your Desert Eagle may be "faith inspiring" out in the woods, but when it comes time to take up the collection you'd be better off with a slug of truly biblical proportions.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
No handgun equals the power of a 30-30 Winchester rifle, a caliber that is considered a good general short range deer gun. Repeat, no hand gun equals the power of a 30-30. People who stop bears professionally start at the .375 H&H and the US Forest Service issues .458 Winchesters to its crews that are likely to deal with grizzly bears. They are big, fast and well armed. Air horns and pepper spray will be more effective than a handgun.

And by the way, if you shoot a grizzly in 'self defense' you'd better have really good evidence that you absolutely had to because the Fish and Game departments are renowned for their skepticism in that regard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran