Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I don't believe so, but I'm no expert. The S&W Victory model (M&P) was issued to Navy and Marine pilots in WWII but I'm not aware of the military purchasing the larger framed Heavy Duty.

Of course the Military did buy the large frame S&W and Colt 1917 models for WWI but of course they were chambered for 45 acp.

By the way that hat is great but sadly I think it's a bit large.

I do know that General Patton carried a Model 27 as well has his Colt SAA, but the Army did not issue the large frame revolvers.

Kirk H.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Patton carried a .357 Registered Magnum with a 3 1/2-inch barrel and ivory stocks. The Registered Magnums were manufactured c.1935-1939; after that date S&W catalogued the revolver simply as a ".357 Magnum". This nomenclature continued in use until 1957 when the revolver was renamed the Model 27. During it's production life the revolver underwent a number of engineering refinements; on post 1957 revolvers these are noted by a dash after the model number (ie: 27-1 would indicate the first engineering change to the Model 27).

Today a used Model 27 clone of Patton's revolver will set you back something in the neighborhood of $700, with guns in excellent condition knocking the spots of a $1000 bill.

Renault

One Too Many
Patton carried a .357 Registered Magnum with a 3 1/2-inch barrel and ivory stocks. The Registered Magnums were manufactured c.1935-1939; after that date S&W catalogued the revolver simply as a ".357 Magnum". This nomenclature continued in use until 1957 when the revolver was renamed the Model 27. During it's production life the revolver underwent a number of engineering refinements; on post 1957 revolvers these are noted by a dash after the model number (ie: 27-1 would indicate the first engineering change to the Model 27).

Today a used Model 27 clone of Patton's revolver will set you back something in the neighborhood of $700, with guns in excellent condition knocking the spots of a $1000 bill.

And don't forget the S&W "Outdoorsman"! Had a customer bring one in this past weekend. Had been "engraved" in Japan while with the Army of Occupation. Had a nice bulge in the barrel just in front of the forcing cone and the frame... :eusa_doh:

Renault

Renault

Renault

One Too Many
It's a "Victory" Model Smith. You sure it's not chambered .38 S&W ctg.???? They can be rather slopplily converted to Special (if not fitted with a "Special" cylinder). Problem with re-chambering the cylinder is there is a small bit of difference in the case head of the two ctgs. The S&W ctg is a bit larger. Also the old S&W ctg shot a heeled bullet like a .22 RF ctg.

The balance of these 5" bbl guns went to the UK during the war. I have one that was issued to the "Constibulary " during Occupation in Germany marked "Bavarian Rural Police". They did make 'em in the special ctg., but most had a 4" bbl. Not all, but most. I dunno if they were arsenal converts or not....

Renault

BigFitz

Practically Family

I think this may be what I was recalling, not sure, but this is a .38 special that was military issue.

I can clearly see in this picture that it is chambered in "38 S&W ctg". This was the prefered cartrige of the British Empire and there was known as the .38/200. The diameter of the 38/200 is slightly larger than 38 special and it's case length was slightly shorter than 38 special. Also the barrel is a 5" with Americans going for the 4" in 38 special. After the war, many of these "lend lease" guns had their chambers bored out to accept the longer 38 special cartridge. The guns were able to fire 38 special although accuracy was questionable and the cases being smaller in diameter than the 38/200 would swell and sometimes crack. This made extraction of the spent cases a little more difficult. Lee Harvey Oswald used one of these converted revolvers to kill Patrolman Tibbets.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Okay, the confusion on the S&W and Colt revolvers comes from some different directions. Officers were allowed to purchase their own sidearms so there was a wide variety seen. The models of 1917, both Smith and Colt were built on their large frame guns and were made for the .45 ACP cartridge with moon clips. The .38 revolvers were made on their respective factories' medium frames, smaller and lighter for issue to Officers, tank crews, air crews, etc.

Renault

One Too Many
"This was the prefered cartrige of the British Empire and there was known as the .38/200."

Affirmitive! Wasn't the Brit nomenclature .380/200???

The 38 S&W (or .38 Colt New Police if you prefer....) loaded with a 200 grn projectile was sold here in the states as the ".38 Super Police". The regular .38 S&W being loaded with a 146 grn. heeled, lead projectile.

Renault

DeaconKC

One Too Many
The .38 S&W cartridge has a slightly wider case body than the .38 Special, so be warned that the cases will swell if fired in those revolvers. Also, the Brit .38 was only loaded to a rather anemic 650-700 fps.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have not yet owned a .38 revolver, have had a few .380 auto (semi automatics) but after looking at some of the .38 caliber revolvers for sale out there, I may perhaps purchase one.

I own all the long guns in the family, my Wife has her C.C.W and carries a Bersa Thunder 40 S&W

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I have not yet owned a .38 revolver, have had a few .380 auto (semi automatics) but after looking at some of the .38 caliber revolvers for sale out there, I may perhaps purchase one.

I own all the long guns in the family, my Wife has her C.C.W and carries a Bersa Thunder 40 S&W

If you get a good S&W K Frame 38 you will be very well served. They point naturally and are fun to shoot. I recently aquried a 1947 M&P with 2" Bbl and the old long action and have enjoyed shooting it.

Kirk H.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
If you get a good S&W K Frame 38 you will be very well served. They point naturally and are fun to shoot. I recently aquried a 1947 M&P with 2" Bbl and the old long action and have enjoyed shooting it.

Kirk H.

I am sure you are right about that. One aspect also that I appreciate is that it is the ammo is common and I will have a variety of choices to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy