Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

tecolote

New in Town
This was posted on another site and I thought it would be appropriate for the Lounge firearms enthusiasts. It is from the LASD from 1938. Obviously things were a lot different back then and I would not recommend trying some of this stuff, but still a very interesting vintage video.
[video=youtube_share;jDP8BRSEjrA]http://youtu.be/jDP8BRSEjrA[/video]

Kirk H.

For those that are interested, here's an unofficial LASD page that has a Popular Science article on the Department's trianing from May 1940.
http://www.badgehistory.com/badges_33_48.html

Regards,

Tecolote

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Not my gun but I thought this might be appreciated on this site.

[video=youtube;5uxNMcmagl8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uxNMcmagl8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I tell you that a Thompson SMG is one awesome piece of hardware!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I figured it's about time I added a photo of my latest. While I was at a local gun shop I saw something that had a Carcano action but looked like no other Carcano I had ever seen. I went home and did a little research and went back the next day to buy the rifle. It turned out to be a Carcano Type "I", made for the Imperial Japanese Navy in 1938-39. The IJN ordered these rifles because after the Japanese invasion of Manchuria in 1937, virtually all Japanese rifle production was going to the Japanese Army.
The Type I has a standard Carcano receiver and bolt, but everything else follows the design of the Japanese Type 38 Arisaka. The butt stock looks like it is split, but that is the two-piece stock construction typical of Japanese rifles. The IJN specified the two-piece stock like the Arisakas. The Italian arsenals producing these rifles generally used beech for the stocks, though I've heard of some walnut examples having been found. This one has a beech stock. This rifle is chambered in 6.5x50mm (6.5 Japanese), and even came with the capture tag.
I've read conflicting reports as to the number produced, ranging from as low as 60,000 to approximately 130,000. In either case, that is a relative drop in the bucket compared to the number of Arisakas produced. Once delivered, these Type I rifles generally did not see much front line use, being relegated mostly to training and rear echelon use. It was also reported that many were destroyed in warehouse storage by an Allied bombing raid.
In any case, they aren't terribly common and this is perhaps the scarcest rifle in my collection.

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
Well, let's see if this works...

b19221.jpg

b19222.jpg

If the image shows up, you'll be seeing a Dutch contract Browning 1922.

Had to sell these before moving to California a while back, but thw two nicest WW1 pieces I ever found. For those of you who know the Luger, the action was tight as a drum and the finish 99.9%. Just a small fingerprint, clear as day that must have been burning into the finish for 90 years. A 1918 dated DMW.

The 03 was dated August of 1918 and super condition as if hardly ever fired but showed plenty of character because it was carried around by an engineer from the 27th ID. Have to brag that I bought this one out of a closet for 200- after a very brief research on these rifles. Actually had no idea that I was looking at all the refurbished pieces and based my paying price that way. Only after getting it home did I realize the value of this all original rifle in the serial# range that was safe to fire, I believe 850000. Before that. they weren't heat treated properly or something.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Really like 1903's and that one is spectacular. Not sure I have ever seen one that has a reinforcement lug but I am not an expert on them. I am willing to bet that rifle is a tack shooter easily capable of hitting a man-size target out to 1000 yards.

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
Nagant revolver.

95nagant2.jpg

95nagant1.jpg

Tula, 1928 mfg. The pictures don't do the original finish justice.

When I got it, the muzzle was plugged with lead, and the firing pin removed. Some kind soul started to drill out the plug, and managed to do it without screwing up the rifling. Elbow grease, a stainless steel bore brush, and Ballistol removed the rest. After a year of hunting around for a pin, I broke down and bought one from Mark Kubes.

Some GI brought it home, defanged it so the kids could play army, and I end up restoring it to punch holes in paper.

WineGuy

A-List Customer

I've owned many different firearms over the last 40 years(used to have a FFL) but recently I got the bug for a six shooter and just purchased a Ruger New Vaquero 5.5" bbl in stainless steel. It's the Davidsons limited 5141 which comes with the two cylinders 45lc/45acp and I've added a custom made pair of BearPaw stocks made from Buckeye Burl(the stocks are wider at the top and really fill the hand well). I've never handled, much less shot, a SAA before and Sunday I fired it for the first time. It was both thrilling and frustrating! I loved the feel of the gun...so different from the autos I'm used to but I struggled with the sight picture...I was all over the place. After 100 rounds I started to get barely reasonable groups at 25'. I found that I had to overcompensate upward by a big margin to center the groups, it's as if the front post is scaled for shooting at 100'.

I want to join CFDA and SASS and get into fast draw and action shooting but I live in Rockland County which is a suburb of New York City and there doesn't appear to be any chapters of either organization within a reasonable drive. If there are any members into single actions reading this thread I could really use some pointers as to a good fast draw rig maker and a gun smith that can optimize the action for the sport. I'd welcome any and all advice on using this pistol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner