Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Forgetting for a moment that I had a small revolver on my belt after seating myself in a restaurant and removing my coat...a cop came over and asked me to please put my jacket back on(or cover the gun). Nothing to do with 'rights'...but just common courtesy. An establishment (department store..mall) can even ask you to leave if you refuse to make it less obvious. Company rules. They don't want a family atmosphere and customers disrupted needlessly. Now if most of the public carried out in the open..it probably wouldn't be sometimes such an issue.
HD

Hi HD

If more of the general public were familiar with the 2A and more law abiding citizens exercised their 2A rights, crime would be lower and folks would be safer.. Open carry States have a much lower crime rate then anti 2A states... The numbers don't lie..
Thank you and best regards.

CCJ

NC still embraces an old common law offense called "Going Armed to the Terror of the Public". It isn't charged very much, but its still law and I've prosecuted it before. Like many common law offenses, the elements are stated using horribly archaic language. Conviction requires a showing that the defendant armed himself with an "unusual or dangerous weapon" and then "went about on the streets or highways" intending to terrorize onlookers. I've always envisioned a huge bearded man lumbering down a crowded street wearing a broad sword, screaming and growling at passersby.

But the offense is general enough that where a person acts with ill intent, just walking around with a firearm strapped to oneself could be a crime here.

AF

Hi AT
I always enjoy reading your post.. However if a law abiding citizen is open carrying in your state and is detained and arrested for merely carrying a fire arm for the purpose of defending himself and his property, then I would say, the law abiding citizen clearly as a civil rights violation case under U.S.C. 42 section 1983... under Federal Law...
Just my .02
Best regards.
CCJ

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
However if a law abiding citizen is open carrying in your state and is detained and arrested for merely carrying a fire arm for the purpose of defending himself and his property, then I would say, the law abiding citizen clearly as a civil rights violation case under U.S.C. 42 section 1983...

I think you are generally correct. Cases where I've seen where this specific crime successfully charged involved defendants who were wearing and/or brandishing a firearm in an attempt to intimidate or frighten innocent onlookers. But please note...intent is an elusive beast. It is normally determined by all of the circumstances surrounding the conduct of the actor. While the defendant may actually believe that he was carrying a firearm for self protection, the circumstances surrounding his actions may indicate some other motive...and he may find himself, innocent or not, sitting before a jury.

Also, there are places where it is illegal for law abiding citizens to carry a firearm, even for the innocent purpose of protecting their selves or their property. Public schools and courthouses, for example. And there are classes of otherwise law abiding citizens who are not allowed to carry, even for the innocent purpose of protecting their selves and their property. Convicted felons and people subject to current domestic violence orders, for example.

AF

MikePotts

Practically Family
Hi Mike
Thank you for your reply.. Are you 100% sure about the "no open carry laws" in your state? I have seen some youtube videos posted by open carriers from Texas, I believe Austin TX... Anyway, yes, law abiding citizens open carrying in vintage attire would be something to view.
Best regards.
CCJ

I should have been more clear Joe, Texas does not allow open carry of Handguns. Long guns are supposed to be OK but as we've seen in exercises like the one you mentioned, the practice is frowned upon by many Police Departments.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
NC still embraces an old common law offense called "Going Armed to the Terror of the Public". It isn't charged very much, but its still law and I've prosecuted it before. Like many common law offenses, the elements are stated using horribly archaic language. Conviction requires a showing that the defendant armed himself with an "unusual or dangerous weapon" and then "went about on the streets or highways" intending to terrorize onlookers. I've always envisioned a huge bearded man lumbering down a crowded street wearing a broad sword, screaming and growling at passersby.

But the offense is general enough that where a person acts with ill intent, just walking around with a firearm strapped to oneself could be a crime here.

AF

AF, that is funny because I too have that same image of the beared figure. Very rarely have we used that charge here and if it has been done the magistrate usualy rejects it and goes with Assault by Pointing a Gun. I also agree about the charging language in the offence being horribly archaic.

Well enough about the different gun laws that very from state to state. I just recently picked up another S&W Model 12 k frame snubby. This one has a sqaure butt. I will need to upload some photos and post them.

Regards

Kirk H.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Model12SQB_zps10077d0f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is the Model 12 Airweight snubby with a square butt

Kirk H.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I live in an open carry state. Funny, last year I saw more men with pistols open carry, then I think I have seen in all my years before. Not much reason to carry with our low murder rate.

Landman

One Too Many
Great looking Model 12 Airweight. I've been looking for a good one for years. Every one I've come across has been in pretty rough shape. I did find a nice flat latch Model 37 Airweight not too long ago. It was made in 1961. I need to take some pictures of it for this thread.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Great looking Model 12 Airweight. I've been looking for a good one for years. Every one I've come across has been in pretty rough shape. I did find a nice flat latch Model 37 Airweight not too long ago. It was made in 1961. I need to take some pictures of it for this thread.

Thanks. I have managed to pick up a few 12's over the past few years. One of our retired Assistant Range Masters works for one of the gun stores here and he knows how much I like the K frame snubbies. Everytime they get one in on a trade he calls me and says "Kirk, we just got another one in that you might like". The plus side is that I have been able to add some great guns to my collection. The down side is that when I walk out my wallet is a little lighter :D

Decodence

A-List Customer
We can legally 'open carry' here in Indiana...but why do it around populated areas? Rather than 'cool' it can make some feel uneasy.
HD

People should get over their irrational fear of inanimate objects. AZ has open and concealed carry no permit required. If you have an AZ CCW, you get Reciprocity with most states, and you can carry into places which serve alcohol. Why people are afraid of guns is beyond me. I see open carry all the time, and I don't give it a second thought. I always CC though unless I'm out in the desert.

rjb1

Practically Family
Speaking of Model 12's, a local pawn shop has a 12-3 2" n almost mint condition. They want $499 for it, which seems a bit high. I'm watching it week-to-week and if sits long enough I may make them an offer and see what happens..

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Speaking of Model 12's, a local pawn shop has a 12-3 2" n almost mint condition. They want $499 for it, which seems a bit high. I'm watching it week-to-week and if sits long enough I may make them an offer and see what happens..

Good luck. I hope you get it.

People should get over their irrational fear of inanimate objects. AZ has open and concealed carry no permit required. If you have an AZ CCW, you get Reciprocity with most states, and you can carry into places which serve alcohol. Why people are afraid of guns is beyond me. I see open carry all the time, and I don't give it a second thought. I always CC though unless I'm out in the desert.

+1

ccj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran