Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Expression perhaps limited to the French?

Illustration from a 1964 book "French Military Weapons 1717-1938", Major James E. Hicks -
"AUTOMATIC PISTOLS
Ruby.
An automatic pistol, calibre 7.65 m/m, nine cartrudge magazine.
Similar in appearance to Browning automatics. Weight 875 grams."

Story

I'll Lock Up
Ruby was a trade name

But I found this, while noodling around -
Llama was around from before WWI; they were known as Gabilondo y Cia, and their Ruby pistol was the standard adopted by the French during WWI as the pattern to be supplied by the Eibar gun makers - even though some 40+ firms cranked out these pistols, they were generally known as "Ruby" by the French.
and also
"Ruby" type semi automatic pistol manufactured in the period of 1911-1918 by Esperanza y Unceta, Guernica (Astra), as indicated by markings on the right side of the slide. Blowback design based on John Browning's FN/Colt M.1903.

Similar pistols were supplied to the Allied forces during World War One. Among others, the French Chauchaut machine gunners were supplied with short grip Ruby pistols in special box like holsters. The French military bought Ruby pistols off the shelf in 1915.

Which would explain how your Grandpop picked it up (eg: Polois picks up pistol no longer needed and 'off the books', trades for American cigarettes, loses it in a poker game, whatever). ;)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is a 1947 CZ .25 cal I've had since the 1960s. It's the most concealable pistol I own and it can be slipped under your arch in a dress shoe and walked on if you fear a pat down at the door of some place;) There are a few "baby" autos from days gone by that you can hide anywhere.
PA280002.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Okay, I finally bought what I'd been mulling over forever.

Springfield Armory 1911 A1 .45ACP, mil-spec in stainless steel. I realize there were others available (The Loaded package and the Professional used by the FBI) but I was more interested in price, history and style. This gun has it all and I personally don't need too many bells and whistles.

Springfield191145.jpg

It took me about one hour to figure out how to take it apart and put it together (hey, I'm a revolver guy) but I've done it once and it's like riding a bike. I love this weapon andI'm excited to going shooting!

Currently loaded with 230gr Federal Hydra-Shoks.

cowboy76

Suspended
HeadHunter said:
The larger revolver is a vintage .38/44 from the '30s. The smaller one is an Iver Johnson Secret Service Special much like the one my grandfather carried while bodyguarding Chicago politicians in the '30s and '40s.

IMG_0974-1.jpg

Two beautiful irons,....my pop had one of the Iver Johnsons,....I'm lookin to pick one up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran