Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

LordJohnRoxton said:
Any opinions on the .303 Enfield?
All the ones I have shot have been real fun, but I do recall that there are some models that were hard to keep zeroed. It was refered to as a "Wandering Zero" by the writer of a magazine article. I am not sure which models he was refering to though, and don't remember the publication.

A friend that reloads let me shoot some really fun lightweight loads thru one later model and that was a lot like shooting 22's!

Story

I'll Lock Up
LordJohnRoxton said:
Any opinions on the .303 Enfield?

Sporter, #1 Mk III (WWI), Mk IV (WWII) or Mk V (Jungle carbine)?

The "Jungle carbines" have accuracy issues, but otherwise it's a reliable weapon (although surplus ammunition is getting hard to find).

You'd do well to read these forums
http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=8c8df60af1f9f8a0d03c1912f45621a7
http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/lee-enfield/lee-enfield.pl

Considering your interest in the Golden Era, you might look hard at the No 1 Mk III - sporterized and full military issue ones can still be found.
Ishapore copies are the cheapest on the market, have a better quality steel in the receiver and clean up nicely.

D

DeaconKC

There are also Ishapore built Enfields available right now in .308. Built in the 60s these are excellent shooters. Thankfully, Wolf and others are now importing new .303 that is a little less expensive. The #4s have different sights than the earlier ones and the ones with micrometer sights are easy to adjust and much easier on my 46 year old eyeballs. Avoid the Pakistani surplus ammo, it is horrible. Mkae sure you say hello if you drop in at surplusrifle!

undertaker

Practically Family
Charter Undercover .38 and a Rohm .22

handguns.jpg

I had the pearl grips made for the Charter. I carry it regularly in a leather shoulder holster.

The .22 was my Grandfathers "Saturday Night Special". He bought it new for $8.50.

Regards,
J.S.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
undertaker said:
I had the pearl grips made for the Charter. I carry it regularly in a leather shoulder holster.
I carry a Charter Bulldog .44, they make a great pistol in my opinion. Nice picture!:eusa_clap

Levallois

Practically Family
A little fun with a turn of the century rig plus accoutrements

Luger M1900 in an Abercrombie and Fitch holster with an umarked belt and 3-mag pouch, 1887 Winny shotgun, Stetson 1900 bowler, badge made from a Mexican coin, and Elgin silver pocket watch. What every well-dressed lawman might have been carrying/wearing circa 1904.

Lugeroldwestrig1-1.jpg

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
On top is a new Rock Island .38 super 1911. Classic cartridge of the 30's. Although the Pachmeyer grips are a LITTLE more modern...

Below it though, is an army issue .45 M1911, built in 1917. Still shoots well for a 91 year old pistol!

PHTO0005.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
Levallois said:
Luger M1900 in an Abercrombie and Fitch holster with an umarked belt and 3-mag pouch, 1887 Winny shotgun, Stetson 1900 bowler, badge made from a Mexican coin, and Elgin silver pocket watch. What every well-dressed lawman might have been carrying/wearing circa 1904.

That, Sir, is a tasteful collection. 12 or 10g '87?

Levallois

Practically Family
Thank you Story. The 1887 is in 12 gauge - it's gone all silvery on me from the high nickel content of the steel back then.

John

D

DeaconKC

Good looking equipment gentlemen! I especially like that magazine pouch, haven't seen one with 3 pockets on it before.

Levallois

Practically Family
Deacon,

It's the only 3-mag Luger pouch that I've seen too. Unfortunately, it is unmarked. Someone told me they though it looked like a Bulgarian military style piece, but who knows?

John

D

DeaconKC

Lev, you might want to post it over at surplusrifle, some of our members might have seen it. Pretty well rounded bunch over there.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Levallois said:
Thank you Story. The 1887 is in 12 gauge - it's gone all silvery on me from the high nickel content of the steel back then.

John

I refinished a 20" barreled 10g bar gun built in 1896, IIRC - the metal finish had turned plum but the stock wood was beat. Where it had shrunk along the tang, I used piano ivories as shims. ;)

jawisher

Familiar Face
My favorite, and favorite thing to shoot, is my Mauser K-98. All matching parts (except the bolt), and 1943 dated.

MauserAction.jpg

There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Mauser.jpg

Curt Dawson

Familiar Face
Love singles

Mike K. said:
New England Firearms 'Handi-Rifle'
DSC_0013.jpg

This is a .30-30 break open action single shot. However I can swap barrels and put on any rifle caliber or shotgun gauge that NEF produces. I mainly use the .30-30, but when conditions change I will switch to .22 Hornet or 20ga shotgun. It's really nice having such a "user friendly" firearm.
I carry a plastic stocked 16 1/4"barreled 45-70 with the platic stock,nylon sling,slip on butt stock cartridge carrier and old Weaver 4x sope ind the trunk of my car as my contigency rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes