Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Everyone... You look wonderful!!

Here is how I did my hair for a recent shoot. Photo of me is not that great, but you can see the triple rolls. The photo was taken at a local historic home/museum.

DSC00496b.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Lolita, I love the triple rolls and the nice wave you have there on the bottom. Your hair is always so lovely. :D

Candied Violets, I think your hair turned out very nice and I especially love the ribbon! More ribbons!

Magpie Annie, Welcome to the lounge! You have great enthusiasm and your hair did very well , even more so for your first roll! Mine turned out complete garbage! lol

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Magpie Annie - great results for your first try! Just a tip for the pageboy style; use a brush (I use a small paddle one or you could try a round one) and brush each section under so that you are moulding the shape of your hair. The look you got is very cute anyway but just thought I'd mention that.

Candied Violets - the ribbon is a nice touch! Ribbons were used a lot in the 40s.

Lolita - as I said in the 'Ladies of the Lounge' thread, I am always so envious of your hair! It looks so perfectly styled, thick and your rolls are amazing. If I could have your hair on a daily basis I'd be a happy gal ;)

MJrules

One of the Regulars
Magpie Annie said:

Oh Magpie, that's exactly the look I'm trying to get! Very pretty, it would look so nice with day dresses! How long is your hair and how did you get that curl? Thanks!
And Dolly, maybe you and I can harness our powers and pray really really really really hard for more hair??? Any additional prayers from the other ladies would be welcome lol

Magpie Annie

Familiar Face
MJrules said:
Oh Magpie, that's exactly the look I'm trying to get! Very pretty, it would look so nice with day dresses! How long is your hair and how did you get that curl? Thanks!
And Dolly, maybe you and I can harness our powers and pray really really really really hard for more hair??? Any additional prayers from the other ladies would be welcome lol

First I want to really thank everyone for being so helpful and welcoming! Your tips have been wonderful!!! MJrules, my hair is about three or four inches past my collarbones and layered a bit. To get that curl I just sectioned my damp hair into six parts, and curled it under from the ends just up to about my hairline! (I got the idea from Fleur de Guerres tutorial!) I used 2 inch foam rollers, kept them in overnight, and sprayed the heck out of them in the morning so they would stay! :) Also, dont bother praying for more hair, my hair is really really fine, and I have always hated it (because it is pin straight and limp and icky if left to its own devices...boo) BUT it works well with curlers! Good luck, and I hope this helps! Thanks again everyone for your comments! <3 <3 <3

Magpie Annie

Familiar Face
SarahLouise said:
Magpie Annie - great results for your first try! Just a tip for the pageboy style; use a brush (I use a small paddle one or you could try a round one) and brush each section under so that you are moulding the shape of your hair. The look you got is very cute anyway but just thought I'd mention that.

SarahLouise, thanks for the tip, is this the type of brush you are talking about?
200px-Hairbrush_flat.JPG

If so, i'm going to sprint out and get one, because I read somewhere that they are good for brushing out curl and all have is this kind,
hairbrush300X300.jpg

which turned my head into a poodle when I tried to brush it out! And I would like to avoid the poodle-head look henceforth... not pretty... :)

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Magpie Annie said:
SarahLouise, thanks for the tip, is this the type of brush you are talking about?
200px-Hairbrush_flat.JPG
I just bought something like that, and whoof! Suddenly my hot-stick curled hair became less little orphan Annie and a lot more vintage!
Go get one, I does magic for your hair that no other brush will!

Woo!! My hair is stupid fine & straight. Fine, but a lot of it apparently [huh] I just want it to be longer so I can do things with it, and it would seem that my hair is good for curling. Theres only so much you can do with fine, straight hair that's just past your ears!

Hamilton Honey; I'm a big fan of things in hair, any things, birds, flowers, bows, but not bugs. Definately not bugs. Butterflies are ok though. Anyway, you look great!! I have to agree, the first pic is adorable ^_^

I think I may play with some hair extensions today. Lalala.

And do another quiff lol

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Hamilton_Honey said:
Here are a couple snaps of mine in curls with flowers...

NewBlouse.jpg

FeelingBlue2.jpg

LunchatBubbas.jpg

You have such a beautiful face shape and your curls are just perfect! You're such a glamour girl!

I'm never gonna get over not being a blonde am I???:)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Red... Thank you. When I initially started to style my hair, I wanted a bushel of curls in between the two rolls, but I didn't seperate enough hair so instead I just turned my bushel into a whole new roll! It turned out better than I thought it was.

SarahLouise... You are such a sweetheart! If I could have my hair like that everyday I'd be a happy girl too! Hahaha Most of the time it looks ragged or in rollers since I hardly ever leave the house. Right now it is tied up in a rag Aunt Jemima style! Tonight I will set it and probably wear rollers in my hair for the next two days. I hope I don't have to go anywhere!! lol

DollyDaydream... A quiff is slightly different than a pomp, I believe. Where the hair in a pomp falls back on itself when combed back, a quiff ends when combed up and pulls a bit forward. Does that make sense? I could be wrong though, what the heck do I know about men's hairstyles. All I know is what I like and what I don't! :p

HamiltonHoney... I will always adore your hair!

Magpie Annie

Familiar Face
Hello ladies! I tried a roller set again yesterday, it turned out much less frizzy than the first!! Here I am in the morning, right after the rollers came out:
2300769195_c8efbdeb58_m.jpg
2300769223_caf29f9a74_m.jpg

and here I am at the end of the day, after dinner out with my husband! I brushed out the curls with my new brush (***thanks Sarah Louise!***) and I was really pleased with the result! Sorry for the dark pictures, I take them with my laptop, and it really needs natural light, but it was nighttime!
2301561866_ee840904b4.jpg
2300769383_ff6a8d3058.jpg
2300769441_e73a5f9c07.jpg

I have a quick question about roller sets, I am having a really hard time with my ends when I use my foam rollers... I have seen people talk about end papers on this thread, will they help de-frizz my ends? If so, can I get them at sally's? <3's magpie

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Magpie, you look adorable. I can tell you're having so much fun playing with your hair! You are darling, and I love the black dress on you with the locket.
Yes, use the end papers and Sally's has them, pretty cheap for a good size box. Walmart has them too, but less for more $$$.
They will make all the difference for you.

I have lot's of catching up to do!!
Nikki

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Magpie Annie-The set turned out so well and still looks great even when the curls relaxed a bit. 2 looks out of 1 set=Bonus!

LolitaHaze said:
DollyDaydream... A quiff is slightly different than a pomp, I believe. Where the hair in a pomp falls back on itself when combed back, a quiff ends when combed up and pulls a bit forward. Does that make sense? I could be wrong though, what the heck do I know about men's hairstyles. All I know is what I like and what I don't! :p

Who knows *shrugs* I can clip back my fringe now anyway!! Too technical for my liking is all this stuff lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner