Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
It's taken me over a week, but finally I managed to make it through the entire 188 pages of this thread!! I've been so incredibly inspired by all the fantastic hairstyles here!

I have very thick naturally wavy hair that takes to curl very easily. I also have what I call my 'Jennifer Garner' fringe, which I love for it's versatility. It's slightly too long at the moment to wear straight, but I can curl it ala Betty Paige, or I can wear it swept to either side. Previously all I've done vintage wise is my attempt at a 50's styled beehive (yes I know, not quite historical but it was for a Rose Tyler costume from Dr Who) which wasn't a complete success because my hair is longer than Billy Piper; and the other style I've done is a simple alice band with my hair curly at the back (just natural curl).

But since reading through this thread I decided to attempt victory rolls. After a couple of miserable failures, I finally think I've managed it!! I went to see Phantom of the Opera on Friday night in a 40's styled evening dress, so I did my hair in two victory rolls with my fringe creating a third roll at the front and the rest of my hair softly waved. I got so many compliments, and lot sof strange looks from passers by! Then today I was going out to coffee with a couple of friends who are also costumers/lovers of vintage, so I decided to do the rolls and curls again. I was so pleased with my 10 minute hairdo! I think I'm finally getting the hang of working the rolls (oh and wearing red lippy) so I can soon start experimenting further! I'm SO excited!!!

Unfortunately I'm interstate at the moment and left my camera cable at home, but as soon as I get back to Sydney on Wed I will upload the photos and post them! :D

Emblaze

Familiar Face
ohairas said:
Same method here only a do with some heigth(Sp?)
The curls on top are pinned to the curls below using hairpins. She had a chin length bob at the time, that was a doosie to get up in back!
620748237_ef08a012ba_o.jpg

all of the pearls are set on hairpins
620748365_c8ff8e6324.jpg

Ooh, I did this sort of dealie with my hair for a Christmas ball!
n223703922_4010344_6574.jpg

You can't really see the three little rolls I put in at the front in this one. Here's another pic (also not very clear), but please pardon my scary stare!
n223703922_4010364_4002.jpg

I've stopped reading this thread very often because I'm scared of suffering hair remorse. I had my hair chopped from this length:
DSCF7289.jpg

to this length:
Bobbed.jpg

I haven't tried anything vintagey with the new cut yet. It's shorter at the back, so I could maybe get one row on pincurls in, but I don't know how that would look with the longer front. Any suggestions?

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Magpie Annie said:
SarahLouise, thanks for the tip, is this the type of brush you are talking about?
200px-Hairbrush_flat.JPG

If so, i'm going to sprint out and get one, because I read somewhere that they are good for brushing out curl and all have is this kind,
hairbrush300X300.jpg

which turned my head into a poodle when I tried to brush it out! And I would like to avoid the poodle-head look henceforth... not pretty... :)

That first bristle brush is great for curls and wavy styles but I actually meant a paddle brush for the pageboy -

31Y8RVND0TL._AA280_.jpg

They are meant to be better for smoothing longer styles but I've always carried a mini one in my bag and found out by chance that they work the best for the pageboy style. It takes a while to form and you have to keep brushing and brushing under until it forms itself. You probably ended up with a "poodle look" because you weren't brushing in the right direction or with the right brush. Hope that helps!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Emblaze said:
You look gorgeous Emblaze. Holy cow! It also looks alot like mine in this pic!
hairshow074.jpg
[/IMG]

Miss Neecerie, you look devine. I love the snood and flowers in the middle. Both the rolls and combs look perfect. Very period indeed! :eusa_clap
Nikki

plumdearly

New in Town
I went out last night with a group of friends, and somehow, had what is quite possibly my best hair day so far.

Here's the front shot:
P10307652.jpg

And another shot with a goofy look on my face, but you can see more of the curls:
P1030762.jpg

I used hot rollers with 4 pumps Motions foam, by far more than I normally use. But, my hair turned out really well and the curls lasted all night, so I'll probably start using that amount from now on. My hair is really thick, so it made a huge difference. :D

MissS

A-List Customer
plumdearly, I love your hair - the curls are fabulous! You and Hamilton_Honey are giving me major hair envy....and making me think I want to cut my hair....

MissS

A-List Customer
I thought I'd try a pageboy today, so last night I set my hair in pincurls using the pageboy instructions from Nocturne's website.

Here's how it was this morning...(warning, dumb look on face...!)
Picture13.jpg

However, it kept falling back into ringlets at work, which was very annoying, so I found some bobby pins in my purse and pinned it up. So here's how it is, 8 hours later.

Picture25.jpg

Does anyone have any tips about how to keep your hair "fluffy" - ie, stop falling back into ringlets?

Lil' Miss A

Familiar Face
plumdearly said:
I went out last night with a group of friends, and somehow, had what is quite possibly my best hair day so far.

Here's the front shot:
P10307652.jpg

And another shot with a goofy look on my face, but you can see more of the curls:
P1030762.jpg

I used hot rollers with 4 pumps Motions foam, by far more than I normally use. But, my hair turned out really well and the curls lasted all night, so I'll probably start using that amount from now on. My hair is really thick, so it made a huge difference. :D

Sooo cute, love it :)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie, can I ask how long your hair is in the back?
I love the look of the flowers and the snood. I also love your eybrows.

MissS I love the your hair. It looks sl sleek and glamorous.

Emblaze- I love the hair cut and the updo is stunning as well.

Plumbearly- you have a very vintage looking face. That hairstyle suits you perfectly.

Hamilton Honey- I love the flowers and your hair cut is perfect.

ohairas- I love the updo with the cherries. You are stunning.

PS

A-List Customer
I have a wicked case of hair envy right now. You all look so amazing.

My hair has decided to stop holding curl. I spent 50 bucks on steam rollers and get a good curl out of them. I get a so so curl which falls out after a few hours.
My Motions doesn't foam anymore but my natural curls love lotta body. My hair like a simple foam roller set, maybe I should just go back to that as opposed to trying more complicated things.......
HELP!

drjones

A-List Customer
wow

WOW! now thats cute! and such talent...a perfect snapshot WHILE driving! LOL!

DRJONES

Pink Dahlia said:
I was pretty happy with the way my hair turned out today. I forgot to take a pic before I left so I took one in the car. :)

l_c5f3a898c2dd77d26975e0ff62ef1afb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner