Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Antje said:
I really like the pageboy do, did you use the instructions on the vintage hairstyling book?

Thanks! I used a diagram from a pdf file that has apparently caused some controversy around here, so I don't think I'm allowed to post the link. It's in the 1940's Hairstyles book by Daniella Turdich, but in all honesty, I had to mostly make it up as I went along because the pageboy diagram is so tiny. I did a square part at the top of my head, about 3 inches deep and 4 inches across. I divided it into 3 rows, 1 inch deep. Each row became 4 curls, about 1 inch across, so basically, I have 12 1inch X 1 inch curls.The first row was my bangs, and I curled it away from my part. The next two rows. The next two rows were a bit longer, and I curled them toward my part. This created the nice roll at the top. The sides and back, I brushed it straight, then made rows of curls at the ends-- about 8 on the top row and 10 on the bottom. I parted it in the center in the back and directed the curls toward my face.

Here's a diagram:
curl1.jpg

(well, technically the bottom of the diagram is where my bangs are)

SIDE:
curl2.jpg

I apologize for the crudeness of these diagrams ;)

crazydaisy

Practically Family
I love the hairstyles of the 30's, but I have long hair and haven't yet found a solution as how to emulate that; won't cut my hair as I love it and also don't find chin length or slightly shorter to be very flattering for me. I have just started to experiment with pin curls but I think it will take me a while to be able to make them into an actual pattern.
Also i would love to be able to do finger waves - I know they are for short hair and require the highest skill - but maybe if I learn how to do those I can do the top of my head only and have the rest of the hair on a side bun or something at the base of the neck. A girl can dream...
This is my first try at pincurling. With all my curls up my husband said I look like a sheep:rage: Oh well! Wasn't going to go out like that! The result didn't look particularly vintagey though. I guess there's a lot of practice ahead of me!
I started with a mixed set of pin curls and rollers resulting in this:
IT5ZTi955683-02.jpg

Then later on I proceeded to reset into pin curls (this is the sheep look):
N89eCe755092-02.jpg

With the final result being:
tNeRzA563110-02.jpg

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
OH MY GOSH....>.< I LOVE YOUR HAIR:eek:

ok, now that I've gotten that out of the way...welcome to the lounge, and I'm amazed at you being able to do pin curls with all that hair!!!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Yeah, I don't look too pleased with the result...:eek:
Sorry to have posted so many pictures lady, you might have had enough of me already and who could blame you...I just feel that I need to ask people who know more than me so I can improve my ways :)

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Oh, thanks Caity Lynn, but the thing is I am not doing the pin curling properly or I feel it should look better; but maybe the lack of volume at the top is also to do with the hair being too long and heavy... I'm not going to give up on it, I've just started, so will see how it goes.:)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
crazydaisy, your hair is out of this world! It's so full and long, just beautiful!

I think you are right in thinking that this is the reason you can't get as much fulness on top as you might want. The weight of your hair naturally pulls downwards, and unless you have natural curl, I would also think that the weight would make your curls drop more quickly. If you cut off some inches it would be much easier to style, but of course I understand if you don't want to do that, your hair looks very healthy.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
I will cut a few inches as it's getting a bit too long now, but probably I won't cut it shoulder length which seems to be the most indicated length on the forum for being able to do pin curls and different vintage looks with it. I'll just have to compromise somewhere in between I think...and get very skilled at pin curling!;)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
crazydaisy said:
I will cut a few inches as it's getting a bit too long now, but probably I won't cut it shoulder length which seems to be the most indicated length on the forum for being able to do pin curls and different vintage looks with it. I'll just have to compromise somewhere in between I think...and get very skilled at pin curling!;)

Layers will really help you. Then you don't have to lose the overall length but the top layers will be shorter and lighter! Your hair looks GORGEOUS btw.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Lovely! ...And such well behaved hair! I'm going to grow my hair longer and keep the layers at the bottom. I might change my mind tomorrow and change it again the day after.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I agree that the length might weigh it down a bit at the crown. However I was thinking that you might try a couple of things to see it it might help. First - do you think you could try at the top to roll the pin curl so it sits up vertically rather than pinning alongside your head? Another thing I have read that when you begin forming the curl, you can pull it 45 degrees from the the direction you are pinning it. Rather than pulling the hair straight out to make the curl, you would pull it up at 45 degrees so that it creates a natural tension, lifting the hair from the scalp. Then pin it to the side of your head as you have done before. Just some ideas.

You have gorgeous hair, and I wouldn't cut an inch if it were mine. Just beautiful.

o0olibelulao0o

Familiar Face
MissHannah said:
o0olibelulao0o - I can't believe how great your hair is for such an early attempt - you must have real natural flair for it. You're so lucky to have that natural gloss to it too.

I was very pleased with my set today. I had a meeting with my hairdresser about doing some design work for her and I really wanted to impress her!

Hair230209A.jpg
Hair230209B.jpg

Hair230209C.jpg
Hair230209D.jpg

Thank you... I'll keep trying haha. But your sets always look absolutely PERFECT! You are flawless :)

Kadri

Familiar Face
I have been trying vintage hairstyles for almost a year now but I really can't get them just right.My hair is VERY thick and even though I layered it and cut is quite short,it's still hard to manage.And it certainly does not form into anytrhing with wave clamps,as I've learned.

It's also quite straight while unstiled,thus it looks TERRIBLE.
I had a perm some time ago and loved it,because I was able to comb fingerwaves in it and strive for a good 30's style,but just as I was getting good at styling,the perm grew out and my hairdresser refused to give me another,clamining my hair was damaged.
Can't see it,as it was as shiny and strong as ever.Not even a bit dry.[huh]
Hairdressers around here aren't very keen on vintage hair anyway,so telling them you want a perm for fingerwaves also somehow irks them,because it's not 'modern'.

I did a home perm and it was great,but fell out quickly.So now I'm all at sea with styling.

Anyway,I've been playing around with all sorts of rollers,perm rods and pincurls,but they all bring the same,unsatyisfying results.

IMGP0052.jpg

IMGP0001a.jpg

IMGP0005h.jpg

I'd really like something like this
2284953214_b04e16e0b5.jpg

alas,it may be impossible.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Kadri, you are such a doll! Totally Jean Harlow, wauv!

I'm guessing your hair is naturally straight? That makes it virtually impossible to finger wave and have it stay that way for an entire day. Unless it's permed, that is! From what I understand about perms, you might need a stronger solution, if it fell out of your hair so quickly. And a different hair dresser who does what you ask of them. ;)

Again, I love your Harlow look!

Oh, and your smile is totally Kirsten Dunst as Marie Antoinette! ;)

texasgirl

One Too Many
I think you're being too hard on yourself! I think you look lovely :) I especially like the more brushed out ones.

And yes, for fingerwaves, you really need a perm or natural wave/curl. I have some of these though and they work rather well.

IMG_0080.jpg

I also think dark hair looks better than blondes- at least on myself. I think lighter hair you can see all the imperfections.

Kadri

Familiar Face
Laura Chase said:
Kadri, you are such a doll! Totally Jean Harlow, wauv!

I'm guessing your hair is naturally straight? That makes it virtually impossible to finger wave and have it stay that way for an entire day. Unless it's permed, that is! From what I understand about perms, you might need a stronger solution, if it fell out of your hair so quickly. And a different hair dresser who does what you ask of them. ;)

Again, I love your Harlow look!

Oh, and your smile is totally Kirsten Dunst as Marie Antoinette! ;)

Aww,thank you!Especially because I adore Jean Harlow.

I did try the strongest solution.But I guess my hair will fight for it's own descions.And it just won't give in.;)

Well,I've tried many hairdressers and they just don't get what I want and are eager to argue.Living in a small town doesn't help either.:mad:

Kadri

Familiar Face
texasgirl said:
I think you're being too hard on yourself! I think you look lovely :) I especially like the more brushed out ones.

And yes, for fingerwaves, you really need a perm or natural wave/curl. I have some of these though and they work rather well.

IMG_0080.jpg

I also think dark hair looks better than blondes- at least on myself. I think lighter hair you can see all the imperfections.
:) Thank you.

Yes,I totally agree that dark hair looks better,especially for vintage styles.
But I've had dark hair once in my life and swore never to dye it again.It looked awful on me.:eusa_doh:
I'm naturally an ash blonde.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Kadri, you are stunning! You look like you just stepped out of the 20s. :D

Could you tell me the lipsticks your wearing in the different pictures? Great colours. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner