Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Tulip

New in Town
Gosh I'm feeling so inspired hair wise! Absolutely beautiful ladies!

MissS, it's a shame we can't see the back of your do properly, could you possibly describe how you did it?xx

Mary

Practically Family
IMGP4726.jpg

Kadri, I want to look just like you. You're absolutely beautiful!

MissS

A-List Customer
Mojito, Kadri thank you!

Tulip, I found a pic of the back, however, it was taken whilst I was dancing, so it's a little fuzzy.

backofhair.jpg

The hairdo was quite simple. I was in day 2 of my set, so I still had a lot of wave and body to the hair.

I sectioned off the top, before taking the sides and back of the hair into a low side pony. I wanted quite a substantial chignon, so I added a ponytail piece to my hair.

I then took this big ponytail and proceeded to loop it into a knot and pinned to the back of my head.

I then took the top section of my hair and combed into a sweeping wave and pinned it to the side.

Only problem was that as you can see from my photo above, the weight of the chignon combined with the dancing caused a bit of slippage.

Hope that makes sense and sorry for the bad quality of the photos!

Lillemor

One Too Many
MissS, I love both your hair, the dress, lipstick...you've really pulled it well together! I need a ponytail piece! I used to use long black scarves to create fullness to my styles but that obviously doesn't look very natural.

Bunny

New in Town
crazydaisy said:
I will cut a few inches as it's getting a bit too long now, but probably I won't cut it shoulder length which seems to be the most indicated length on the forum for being able to do pin curls and different vintage looks with it. I'll just have to compromise somewhere in between I think...and get very skilled at pin curling!;)

I have hair to the middle of my back and I've had a lot of trouble getting my vintage looks to stay put all day. I love my long hair and didn't want to sacrifice the length, but still wanted a vintage look. Recently I got long layers cut into my hair and did it ever make a difference when I curl my hair!! My curls are beautiful and bouncy and stay all day!

So not to worry! You can still keep your beautiful long hair and have a vintage look!

I'll post pics soon, but I'm new and still trying working my way through the whole picture posting thing!

Ms. Alice

New in Town
@Esme and cherry_lips: Ah, yes, the Brooks bob. I certainly thought about it more than once (read: fantasized), but I have this awful, stubborn cowlick on the right side, so I end up being forced to part it. What I wouldn't give for a nice, straight across bang!

Esme

One of the Regulars
Well, if you won't get a bob, I will!

Just got back from the stylist. I had a talk with Kitty von Kirsche about what I should do and we both though a Barbara Feldon bob (like in Get Smart) would work for me. So, I took a pic of early Agent 99. The stylist pulled out a photo of the back of Posh Spice's "pob" and then we had a chat about color.
This is what happened --
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33336395@N02/3330295250/
What do you think?

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Esme said:
Well, if you won't get a bob, I will!

Just got back from the stylist. I had a talk with Kitty von Kirsche about what I should do and we both though a Barbara Feldon bob (like in Get Smart) would work for me. So, I took a pic of early Agent 99. The stylist pulled out a photo of the back of Posh Spice's "pob" and then we had a chat about color.
This is what happened --
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33336395@N02/3330295250/
What do you think?

I love the style! What a great, updated look for you!

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Do any of you girls have some suggestions for VERY thin hair? I need a 'do that somewhat disguises the hairparting, which is where the hairloss is.
It doesn't help to part my hair in the other side either.
I suffer from hairloss in the parting of my hair, and I just went to the umpteenth doctor who just said "Go to a hairdresser and make them fix your hair in a smart way!". :mad:
(I have tried that!)
I lovelovelove pincurls, but it seems the hairparting has to be very visible in pincurl-'dos. :(

Lillemor

One Too Many
Tinseltown, I can't imagine your frustration. You've already tried the things that immediately come to mind. I can only think of one thing but that might not be good for your hair; Get it bleached and dyed into a really pale shade, then go ultra short, maybe with some perm curls. I know that may sound very little-old-lady like. Well, I happen to like that look but I can understand if it's not your thing. What about hair pieces or wigs? I know it'll soon be summer (or so we hope here in Denmarklol ) but surely someone's invented hair pieces or wigs for warm and often humid weather?!

Hmm...a small barette in some fine, large masked knit that's more decorative than functional? I have a very visible parting but no hair loss it's just the hair/scalp contrast. Is there enough hair and is it long enough for half updos?

I know I came across some old hairdresser's blog entry on her years as a hairdresser...she said something about a parting to hide some lady's thinning or hair loss. So either really short or long enough to change the parting and really pale hair? Sorry, I really wish I could help.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I totally feel your pain. My hair has thinned out in the front. It was very noticeable with a single color dark hair (I went from black to brown). One thing that has help is to put lighter highlights in it. I currently have strawberry blond with highlights and the color contrast between my scalp and haircolor seems to disguise it more.
Another trick that a hairdresser did for an event with photos for me when I still had very dark hair, was to apply a bit of dark powder (actually used a black powder eyeshadow) and dabbed it around my hairline. I know this sounds really weird - but it did disguise the area. I didn't do it daily but occasionally for special events I tried it.
As for vintage styles, I tend to back comb up the back half of the top of my head. I don't part it all the way back. It then leaves a much smaller part. Sometimes I try to hide this with a flower or by pulling rolls up over the part line.

I hope this helps.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
This is my usual up do, that I wear in the first and sometimes second day of my set, when the curls are fairly tight. I don't brush them out at this stage, just arrange and secure them with hair pins.

qNi3HH874600-02.jpg

WT9lyH428294-02.jpg

aJRYqc565073-02.jpg

8sqcfH109157-02.jpg

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Sorry about the lurid color :eek: - for some reason all my photos turn orange once I post the onto the photo hosting site :mad: .
...And no, I don't have a horrible overdone tan in my avatar (in fact no tan at all) - in case you wondered...lol

Emer

One of the Regulars
Irish-American twist

This is my version of a French twist (hence, Irish-American). I wore this on a very hot, windy day here in the desert and it held up quite nicely. I did have to make sure my hair was wet to start, but other than that I just twisted, tucked, and pinned! It was my first attempt, and I'm very pleased with how it turned out!

tax2.jpg

From the front.

tax1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav