Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Oh. My.

So, i recently chopped off my hair and have been having a blast with it! My hairdresser is a genuis (if anyone needs a good stylist in edmonton...)
Anyways, i decided to curl my hair with my mom's 70's foam rollers...and well...i don't know what on earth i did wrong, but i woke up this morning and took out my curlers and looked like a poodle. I don't know what look i was going for but i don't think this was it! Any suggestions so i don't have the Bozo the clown look?

miss_killin

Familiar Face
From the advice and tips I have read here, I think it's all in the brushing. If you look through some of the threads you will see pictures of ladies after they take their rolls out and brush a bit, and have that "poodle" look. After some more heavy brushing and some product it turns into nice waves. Some reccomend a large round brush, and some a natural bristle brush. I would check out the hair threads a bit more and you will see alot of examples of different ways to do it.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
As un-vintage as it gets. So I went to get my hair cut today and this is how it was styled after my cut. I never ever wear my hair straight, it feels and looks so strange! I am excited to see how this cut sets.
IMG_3610.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
ClaraB said:
As un-vintage as it gets. So I went to get my hair cut today and this is how it was styled after my cut. I never ever wear my hair straight, it feels and looks so strange! I am excited to see how this cut sets.
IMG_3610.jpg

You are so pretty Clara - I love the red hair (yes, I know I am biased to red hair, haha!).

My hair dresser keeps wanting to straighten my hair just for fun but I told her I'd feel very odd. I think your new cut will set very well and can't wait to see what you do with it!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Great cut! The layers will look lovely! Did you take a diagram or ask for something specific? The last time I asked for a middy was a nightmare!

ClaraB said:
IMG_3610.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
Beautiful hair and so are you.:) It's similar to my cut and it looks as if it's still at the length my hair was when it was manageable. Maybe she knows that she can blow dry it straight faster than she can set it wet and dry it while rolled up. My hairdresser gave up trying to dry my set after two hours under a helmet at highest heat and setting.:( I'm hair proud in the natural sense (I'm sure you all are too in your own ways:) ) so I'm generally not happy to use heat on my hair.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Thanks ladies! I'll be sure to share the results of a set on this haircut with you!

Maggie, I did take a diagram this time, the one for the femme fatal middy cut. The stylist thought I was insane and told me she would not cut the sides like they were done in the diagram for fear it would turn out mullet like. So I just told her to cut the u shape and layers that she was comfortable with.

Lillemor, I definitely don't like heat to be used on my hair, I even like to avoid blow dryers. Usually when I get a hair cut they just blow dry it and send me on my way and it always looks horrible. Sometimes they will use a curling iron after they blow dry it and use lots of product, yuck. Either way a trip to the salon equals some torture for my hair. [huh]

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Can't you just tell them to leave it alone? now I cut my own hair, but when I still was going to the hairdressers, I just told them to hold their weapons and walked out with wet hair (I never blow dry anyway). They never knew how to deal with my curly hair anyway...

Inky

One Too Many
ClaraB said:
I prefer it too. Here is my first set with the new haircut. Setting is much different now.
IMG_3626.jpg

Lovely perfection! It looks terrific Clara - is the setting easier for you now? I know that now that I have a modified middy (my hairdresser didn't put as many layers in the front at my mullet-free request!), i find setting so much easier and straightforward.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Thank you so much ladies! That set was done quickly on damp hair with foam rollers. Unfortunately it was ravaged by 45 mile an hour winds this afternoon so I have reset in pin curls for a night on the town- I'm actually sitting under the dryer as I type this lol. Like Inky said, setting is much more straight forward with this cut. Setting is also quicker because I now have less hair to wrap up.

miss_killin- I will attempt a tutorial sometime in the near future but I warn you I don't do anything very special with my hair.

Thanks again for all the kind words, ladies.

Blondie

Practically Family
ClaraB said:
I prefer it too. Here is my first set with the new haircut. Setting is much different now.
IMG_3626.jpg

WOW ! AMAZING !!!!!! maybe i should rethink my ideas on layers, it is something that i have always shyed away from, but after seeing your end result in this pic, it has me thinking...........

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
what kind of dryer??

I'm assuming then that you have a portable hood dryer?? What is it, and where did you find yours please.
For my wet sets my hairdresser said getting a portable hood dryer would be a good idea (I sit under on at the Salon for like 30-45 minutes), or else to sleep overnite with the curlers in.

ClaraB said:
Thank you so much ladies! That set was done quickly on damp hair with foam rollers. Unfortunately it was ravaged by 45 mile an hour winds this afternoon so I have reset in pin curls for a night on the town- I'm actually sitting under the dryer as I type this lol. Like Inky said, setting is much more straight forward with this cut. Setting is also quicker because I now have less hair to wrap up.

miss_killin- I will attempt a tutorial sometime in the near future but I warn you I don't do anything very special with my hair.

Thanks again for all the kind words, ladies.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
ClaraB said:
...I will attempt a tutorial sometime in the near future but I warn you I don't do anything very special with my hair.
You always have such a lovely front wave. I think I remember you saying once that your grandmother or someone does one similarly. I'd especially love to hear tips on how you do that. Also, Perhaps my hair is simply too long but I find that whenever I brush out curls they end up frizzing and then brushing straight. It looks like yours are the perfect mix of blending (not ringlets) but not falling out. I'd greatly appreciate any tips! Thanks :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo