Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
AdrianLvsRocky - I love that colour on you ! and to be honest I think that even if it does fade to a lighter colour ( as long as it's even) it would look great too. Also - can I just say that your eyebrows are perfection !

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
So I bit the bullet and dyed my hair just before christmas but with all the rigmarole of christmas/new year etc. haven't found the time to be on recently so here are the pictures as promised - finally ! I went out the other night to a prohibition party and marcel waved it and made a faux bob but unfortunately I was a little worse for wear when I got home and didn't get any pictures !

PC220107.jpg

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
^Beautiful!! Such a lovely colour.:eusa_clap

P.S. My eyebrows are virtually non-existent. I'm very fair naturally so you can barely see them and one is almost white. Thank goodness for eyebrow pencils and Benefit Browzings!

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Be damned if I know! lol

I brushed out the bottom layers with my Goody bristle brush, then proceeded to unwind a row, brush, unwind, brush. Then I brushed them all together with a bristle brush, then with a larger brush to break up the knots and it just happened! I wished I had been paying more attention.

I attribute it to the mass amount of brushing (which also took a lot of my hair with it, it was really tangled this morning) because I never do as much as I do and it ends up staying curly. I also set it last night in all green (second-largest) rollers except for the bottom sections with unwashed hair, maybe that helped too?

Talk about perfection - those are some amazing victory rolls! And I love the personal touches you've added to your office :D

I notice that my sets on unwashed hair is much better when it comes to forming waves too. I tried to get some waves again today after washing my hair last night and it was a lost cause. I use the green rollers too, sometimes the yellow on the very top near my forehead I'm looking for a shorter style up front but it never fails that as soon as I take out the rollers, the waves pretty much fall out as soon as the brush hits the hair.

Thanks for all the compliments ladies! :D

Hey_Laaaaaady!

Familiar Face
No pictures but a happy story...

About three weeks ago I trimmed and re-layered my hair, with the shortest layers at my chin and the longest about four inches below my shoulder. Last Thursday I finally decided to set it for an impending swing dance :D and left the set in for eighteen hours to be sure the curls wouldn't come out while I was dancing.

I have had curls all week XD

Not only that, but they brushed out beautifully the night of the dance, into a very 50s hairdo; remained that way for the next two days; and I have been able to get a very pleasing pageboy style during the remainder of the week. Extreme happiness. XD I have never had a set turn out this well. (I started pincurling about a year ago.)

Things to remember for next time: the longer I leave my set in, the better it brushes out; and coiling the hair up in a loose bun for sleeping keeps the curls in longer.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the compliments, Antje! The snood is nothing fancy, just a brown hair net I picked up at Wal-Mart, but it worked in a pinch as I'm not overly thrilled with the snood I made from a pattern I found online (merely a round doily gathered up with elastic). I have some other true vintage patterns waiting at home, just need to get out and find some yarn!

MissNathalie, very nice set! Your curls looks spectacular!

No pictures but a happy story...

About three weeks ago I trimmed and re-layered my hair, with the shortest layers at my chin and the longest about four inches below my shoulder. Last Thursday I finally decided to set it for an impending swing dance :D and left the set in for eighteen hours to be sure the curls wouldn't come out while I was dancing.

I have had curls all week XD

Not only that, but they brushed out beautifully the night of the dance, into a very 50s hairdo; remained that way for the next two days; and I have been able to get a very pleasing pageboy style during the remainder of the week. Extreme happiness. XD I have never had a set turn out this well. (I started pincurling about a year ago.)

Things to remember for next time: the longer I leave my set in, the better it brushes out; and coiling the hair up in a loose bun for sleeping keeps the curls in longer.

Way to go! I notice my sets stay in longer on second day hair, if I set the day I wash, it has to stay in much longer too...it's a pain because mid-week it's tough to get home early enough to wash and set so I end up with less than desirable results I have to try and rock at work the next day. lol

Nothing fancy with my 'do today, I just finally had an "aha!" moment with my rollers and the angle I was rolling them up and woke up to amazing waves with my bangs after my brush out ala Rita Hayworth, Ann Miller, and so many others. I used yellow rollers on the first couple of rows in front, green all the way back, with yellow again on the layer closest to my neck. The curls are a lot tighter up front and I just pinned it in a couple places so it wouldn't relax and fall in my face as the day goes on.

6731652517_75eaf7ff5e_z.jpg

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
Thanks for the compliments, Antje! The snood is nothing fancy, just a brown hair net I picked up at Wal-Mart, but it worked in a pinch as I'm not overly thrilled with the snood I made from a pattern I found online (merely a round doily gathered up with elastic). I have some other true vintage patterns waiting at home, just need to get out and find some yarn!

Way to go! I notice my sets stay in longer on second day hair, if I set the day I wash, it has to stay in much longer too...it's a pain because mid-week it's tough to get home early enough to wash and set so I end up with less than desirable results I have to try and rock at work the next day. lol

Nothing fancy with my 'do today, I just finally had an "aha!" moment with my rollers and the angle I was rolling them up and woke up to amazing waves with my bangs after my brush out ala Rita Hayworth, Ann Miller, and so many others. I used yellow rollers on the first couple of rows in front, green all the way back, with yellow again on the layer closest to my neck. The curls are a lot tighter up front and I just pinned it in a couple places so it wouldn't relax and fall in my face as the day goes on.

That is so flattering to you ♥

Antje

One Too Many

wow, you had a terrific set!! great waves

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Everyone's hair looks good!! Retro_Gi_Jane = NICE BARBIES :D

I bought Belle Blossoms "mini" roses and they ain't very mini! I was happy with their hugeness -- I was expecting much smaller....

405431_10150524190534164_624014163_8885036_506626336_n.jpg

angeljenny

A-List Customer
First attempt with foam rollers - my hair feels huge!!

Not sure if I would dare wear my hair like this to work as I hate to attract attention to myself. When I am looking at myself in the mirror it looks too much.

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
zombi - thankyou so much ! that's really sweet :)

retro_GI_Jane - that's an amazing wave! at the moment I'm just pin-curling but I may have to invest in some rollers now! absolutely stunning !

Flicka

One Too Many
OK, don't laugh... I'm still new to this and I have really short hair so I don't have that much to work with. Plus I've always been really, really bad at styling my hair.

Anyway, today I tried to create waves across my scalp and curls in front and at the neck (you get what I'm trying to say?). Unfortunately, it didn't really turn out like I wanted it, but I'm going to keep trying!

From the back:

IMG_0740-1.jpg

From the side:

IMG_0737-1.jpg

And front:

Photoon2012-01-21at12.jpg

Flicka

One Too Many
incidentally - what method are you using to curl your hair?

Foam rollers. I use setting lotions and about 20-30 foam rollers and sleep on it. Usually I end up looking very much like Lix in The Hour (the British tv-series). I tell myself it means I look intellectual. :) Anyway, it's such a relief compared to trying to blow dry and style it every morning. I cannot think why the fashion ever went out of style!

I think I should get some larger-sized ones, but I only know of one place here that sells them and they're right across the city from me (naturally).

angeljenny

A-List Customer
Foam rollers. I use setting lotions and about 20-30 foam rollers and sleep on it. Usually I end up looking very much like Lix in The Hour (the British tv-series). I tell myself it means I look intellectual. :) Anyway, it's such a relief compared to trying to blow dry and style it every morning. I cannot think why the fashion ever went out of style!

I think I should get some larger-sized ones, but I only know of one place here that sells them and they're right across the city from me (naturally).

I used foam rollers and setting lotion (and a hair net!:eek:) to curl my hair. I have different sizes though and use the biggest along the top, the medium for the back and sides and the small ones around my face. I couldn't find them so asked one of the ladies at my knitting club. She knew exactly where to get them!

I need to practice more. I really like the Elizabeth Taylor / Marilyn Monroe look but don't think I would dare cut off my hair!

Flicka

One Too Many
I had really, really short this summer - a genuine pixie cut (which is what you can see in my avatar), but I'm trying to get it to grow back. It'd be lovely to be able to actually wear it up again (because it means much less styling).

Your set looks really nice. Maybe I should ask the ladies at my local knitting shop if there is anywhere else you can get foam rollers here! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21