Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Betty Draper hair

I'm really pleased with how this 'do worked out for a party. I may try more often, seem like it will work into victory rolls with less curlers.

Antje

One Too Many
Everyone's hair looks good!! Retro_Gi_Jane = NICE BARBIES :D

I bought Belle Blossoms "mini" roses and they ain't very mini! I was happy with their hugeness -- I was expecting much smaller....

405431_10150524190534164_624014163_8885036_506626336_n.jpg

Love this Amy, Mini rose?? I like the size but It also seems to me it is not mini

TheRedSquare

New in Town
Barbigirl- That looks lovely. So polished.

Amy-Jeanne- Great set as usual... and I love the rose.

RetroGIJane- Add me to the list of envious ladies. That front wave is perfection.

Here is a phone camera shot of how my set's have been turning out lately. Black hair is so hard to capture any detail!
a48f3107.jpg

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Thanks Ladies!

Miss Sofia, I have had Lauren Bacall mentioned to me in the past but I had forgotten about it til you said.
TheRedSquare, love your brows and your set looks great.

Sorry I haven't gone back and read are your ladies using setting lotion? Which one? I need to find something that will actually hold my daughter's sets.

Antje

One Too Many
Barbigirl- That looks lovely. So polished.

Amy-Jeanne- Great set as usual... and I love the rose.

RetroGIJane- Add me to the list of envious ladies. That front wave is perfection.

Here is a phone camera shot of how my set's have been turning out lately. Black hair is so hard to capture any detail!
a48f3107.jpg

Oh my gosh, perfect hair and make up!!

angeljenny

A-List Customer
Love all the photographs!

When I do a retro type look with my hair I feel really self conscious - how do you decide if it is too much for work / daytime?

1A1.png

My hair felt a bit over the top like this ^ but I don't know if it just takes some getting used to. It feels flat today as I didn't curl it!

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
TheRedSquare: As always I´m green with envy when I look at your brows. What do you use to make em look like that? I hope you don´t mind me asking. Your hair´s perfection, too.

angeljenny: looks perfectly vintage to me, not over the top. It just shows that you put a lot of work and love into your hairstyle and that´s a good thing to me :)

Last night I tried to do a wavy set but wasn´t happy with the result, which is why I ended up with a ponytail:

40swelle.png
ponytail.png

Also, and I partly have to blame AdrianLvs.Rocky for that, I´ve been thinking about Bettie bangs a lot lately, so I tried to find out what it could look like on me.
fakepony.png

They don´t look like betties really, but the length is what I´d go for. I´m not sure if they´d suit me and could need some thoughts :)

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
I think they'd be cute on you! You should go for it!
And they'd look nothing like that little roll you have going on in the picture, they'd look a lot better.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I agree with everyone else your front wave is super, Retro GI Jane. TheRedSquare I adore your hair, I style it the same way. You are so right when photographing black hair. I tend to have that same problem even though my hair is not black its dark brown. Yet when I take pictures it looks black. And I get upset sometimes because I end up looking a whole lot different in photos then I do when I look in the mirror. http://m253.photobucket.com/albumvi...oads/IMG-20120117-00249.jpg.html?o=0&newest=1 I am super pleased with this photo because my true coloring is pictured here.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
TheRedSquare you gave me a better idea on how to work the victory roll bangs. Mine looks a bit thinner then yours. Now I know I need to tease it up a litt to give it the correctness.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Black hair is so hard to capture any detail!
a48f3107.jpg

Really pretty look - I love the bang wave you have here. And black/dark hair really needs light shining on it to capture anything more than a silhouette of it. Another tip is to stand in front of something the same tone or even darker so that the camera's light meter doesn't have to 'settle' for a compromise between two extremes (white background, black hair). Putting something less bright behind dark hair will help the camera find a setting that's less contrast-y. Most camera phones aren't going to have much room for adjustment on high contrast shots like this, but I think yours did a good job of it!

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Thanks everyone, for the compliments on the waves. Grant Fan, I can't believe I'm making you jealous when it's usually me jealous of your waves! You are like my hair wave inspiration! lol

I'm rocking them again today, they look better with my set today as I left my rollers in all day yesterday (stayed home so might as well!) for a nice tight set which gave me the ability to brush out my curls the way I wanted for once without them falling out. lol

Amy Jeanne, I love that little rose fascinator, it's making me want to dig out my flower stash and finally get around to making my own! As for the Barbies, there's one off camera that you can't see...she's an fighter pilot. ;)

OK, don't laugh... I'm still new to this and I have really short hair so I don't have that much to work with. Plus I've always been really, really bad at styling my hair.

Anyway, today I tried to create waves across my scalp and curls in front and at the neck (you get what I'm trying to say?). Unfortunately, it didn't really turn out like I wanted it, but I'm going to keep trying!

And front:

Photoon2012-01-21at12.jpg

Flicka, I think your waves and set looks great! Looks like a cute flapper bob to me!

Your hair looks FABULOUS in this shot. I am so envious of that wave you've got in your bangs. Love it. Do you have any natural curl in your hair? I cannot remember if you've said already, so please excuse.

Nope, my hair is stick straight! If it means anything, that set was on second day hair. I have better luck with waves staying in after brushing on second day hair even though my rollers don't stay in but a few hours overnight. It seems like on my freshly washed hair, I need to have the set sit all day if I want it to do anything other than large waves at the end.

Love all the photographs!

When I do a retro type look with my hair I feel really self conscious - how do you decide if it is too much for work / daytime?

My hair felt a bit over the top like this ^ but I don't know if it just takes some getting used to. It feels flat today as I didn't curl it!

Angeljenny, I think that looks wonderful for daytime wear. You could always forgo the fascinator and just clip one side back with a plain comb or a comb with simple pearls or rhinestones on the end to add a hint of glam. Sometimes I'll use a rhinstone barrette to hold back one side and just let the waves and curls shine on their own.

I agree with everyone else your front wave is super, Retro GI Jane. TheRedSquare I adore your hair, I style it the same way. You are so right when photographing black hair. I tend to have that same problem even though my hair is not black its dark brown. Yet when I take pictures it looks black. And I get upset sometimes because I end up looking a whole lot different in photos then I do when I look in the mirror. http://m253.photobucket.com/albumvi...oads/IMG-20120117-00249.jpg.html?o=0&newest=1 I am super pleased with this photo because my true coloring is pictured here.

Lovely set, Miss Nathalie! I really adore the reverse roll you've got going with your bangs! Cute!

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Looking beautiful as always ladies!

Retro_GI_Jane - Did you do a particular set to get that lovely wave in the front? I know that a lot of people really "sculpt" their sets and have a certain order etc. but I'm really a "shove 'em in" kinda girl. Maybe if I was disciplined enough I could get a perfect set? Fat chance.

Katinka - I think you'd look lovely with short bangs! I remember when I first had mine cut in, I used to spend hours with my bangs clipped up in a Betty length just wandering round the house looking in every shiny surface to try and get the confidence to take the plunge! :D

Flicka - Cute waves! They look gorgeous! Jealous - I can never get nice waves like that, they always look too, sort of, stiff and angular rather than soft and wavy.

Angeljenny - Beautiful curls and not at all OTT. I guess it'll take some getting used to if you're used to different hair. I find that my hair always feels much bigger than it looks. Just take the plunge and wear it out! Like Retro_GI_Jane says - you could just wear some plain clips or combs to make it feel a bit plainer.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Looking beautiful as always ladies!

Retro_GI_Jane - Did you do a particular set to get that lovely wave in the front? I know that a lot of people really "sculpt" their sets and have a certain order etc. but I'm really a "shove 'em in" kinda girl. Maybe if I was disciplined enough I could get a perfect set? Fat chance.

I tend to do my set the way I plan on wearing it the next day, in terms of parting it. I choose what side I want my part on and how far over my eye and then alway, always, separate the hair halfway from the front/crown from the back, ear to ear, (regardless of the part) if that makes sense. I guess a better way to describe the sectioning is to imagine a rainbow over your head, part from the back of the ear over my head to the back of the other ear and pull the hair at the back of the head into a ponytail while I do the front. The sections over my ears in this U/"rainbow" part are pulled straight out from my head and rolled under. The sections above my eyes are pulled straight out in front of me and rolled back. This helps get that curler down to the roots and get your waves all the way to your scalp. When I take out my curls in the morning, I tend to do all the back first and do a brush out then take out the sides and brush those sections up and out away from my face. The curls on top are taken out last and I brush up and away from face. To keep the waves in, I might spray with a little hairspray first and let it sit a moment before resuming brushing, and then really grab those ends to keep from pulling and putting too much tension on the roots while I brush the end curls smooth. I also use clamps after I brush out and get the hair placed, giving it a good coat of hairspray to set the waves. Next time I can try to do some pictures of my set so you can get an idea. I think it helps that I use a really wide toothed comb before really doing any brushing out. It helps get some of the major snarls out and gets the waves all uniform without pulling on them too much. Other than that, I never really deviate from this sort of setting pattern, even when it's determining the position of the part. The rollers will always go in the same direction, just sometimes I might have three rows of three on the top rather than two rows.

Oh and I agree about my hair feeling bigger than what it is after curling! I must ask my husband at least ten times in the morning if my hair looks like a frizz out in the back while I'm brushing! lol

Last edited:

Miss C

New in Town
Oh my ladies, I am suffering a rather large case of hair envy!! You are all looking "bleddy hansome" (yes I am Cornish) and I am just so jealous/envious of the styles you are creating :(

I just don't have the time or the skills that are needed to achieve 'out of the house' vintage hairstyles!

Please keep them coming and hopefully one day I will achieve something worthy of putting up next to your postings!!

Cx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk