Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Dracca

One of the Regulars
ssubialdea said:
Yes, use it as a finishing spray. I don't normaly need it immediately after a set, but its great on day 2 or 3 when my hair starts to look dull. It won't make your hair stiff at all (which is nice) Try using it during your brush through routine (if you brush out the curls), I bet that would work well to help distribute it. It will work fine too if you just spray evenly after you've styled your hair how you want it, let me know how it works out.

Excellent thanks for the tip! I will definatly try it!

SerenityAshes

Familiar Face
Allergies to Dyes

When it comes to skin sensitivity or allergy to cosmetic preparations hair dye allergy is the third most common after fragrance and preservatives. The ingredient that can cause all the problems is paraphenylenediamine (PPD) which is found in all permanent or oxidation hair colour's. If you know you are allergic to PPD all permanent and most semi or demi permanent hair dyes should be avoided.

What happens?

You may suffer all of the following but it is most common to just notice one or two of the symptoms. Like other forms of contact dermatitis repeated exposure may cause the allergy to develop therefore alternatives to permanent hair dye should be researched as soon as an allergy is confirmed.

• Itching scalp/skin
  • Redness
  • Swelling
  • Mild dandruff like symptoms
  • Scaly skin
  • Pain
  • Sneezing or other hay fever/cold like symptoms when ever hair dye applied
  • Nausea when dye applied
  • Sever swelling around eyes
  • Scaly skin on ears, face and neck

There have been two deaths attributed to anaphylaxis due to hair dye. This sever allergic reaction is incredibly rare but stands to show how serious and allergic reaction can be. Even if you have been using a product for years a patch test should always be applied and the developer (oxidizing agent) should always be mixed with the dye or tint for this type of test.

Are there any cures?

No, but you still have options when it comes to dying your hair you could try temporary rinses that will blend in gray hair and brighten you natural colour with a subtle tone.

High or low lights are another good option making sure that your hairdresser knows you have an allergy and applies the product ensuring none gets on the skin.

You also have the option of using henna vegetable dye or metal pigment dyes.

Allergic to henna?

Although extremely rare you can be allergic to pure henna. I use the term pure because more often than not what appears to be an allergic reaction to the henna is in fact a reaction to something that has been pre-mixed into it. Additives can include PPD and metallic salts and due to lax regulations in some of the countries that supply henna it is often impossible to know what is contained within them without chemical testing.

An allergic reaction to pure henna may include a tight feeling in the chest, sneezing, itchy eyes, a runny nose, and/or a dry cough. The symptoms appear soon after exposure so if you think you might be allergic to henna, dab it in the crease of your elbow and wait one hour. If you do not have any symptoms within that time, you are not allergic to henna.

Other things to consider

Approx. one in four people allergic to PPD are also allergic to ingredients found in semi-permanent dyes, azo dyes, these can also be found in pen inks and may be used to colour foods and pharmaceuticals. Always follow the pack instructions for a patch/skin test before using any form of hair dye.

While PPD dyes are rare in clothing, other dyes that may react like PPD (cross-react) may be present. As a result, some PPD-sensitive patients cannot wear dark clothing; especially clothing made of synthetic fibers like polyester or nylon.

About 25% of PPD sensitive people are also allergic its chemical relatives like procaine and benzocaine, found in certain local anesthetics and haemorrhoid creams, sulfa drugs and para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) – found in sunscreens.

Acknowledgments:

www.allergyclinic.co.nz
www.nsc.gov.sg
www.hennaforhair.com

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
~*Red*~ said:
Thank you BeBopBaby!!! I would love to do your hair.. it's my passion! Do you live near San Diego? hee hee:D

Darn! My company's going to be in San Diego for a trade show next month, but I'm not going. I just create the exhibits and the displays they use at the shows, I don't get to go out in public. lol

~*Red*~

Practically Family
BeBopBaby said:
Darn! My company's going to be in San Diego for a trade show next month, but I'm not going. I just create the exhibits and the displays they use at the shows, I don't get to go out in public. lol

Bummer! Well if you can ever convince them to send you out.. you know where I am! ;)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Madalene Laurae said:
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!

I tried doing pin curls last night and ended up with this!

frizz.jpg

I love you for posting this! I think we've all been there.

When I take my hair out of the rollers it's a dead ringer for Norma Shearer's hair in her frizzy early 30's pre-George Hurrell period. After 20-30 minutes of brushing I can start to think about going out in public.

wannabe40sgirl

New in Town
1940's dress/makeup/hair do

Hello everyone!! I have been browsing the internet for the past several weeks looking for advice on what to do for a 40's hair-do/makeup. I came across this forum and I am glued to it!!! My boyfriend and I are really into the WWII era, he mostly into the war part, I am too but mostly I have become obsessed with the fashion part of it. The ladies in those days were soo classy, I just love it!! Anyways, we had already planned for Halloween to dress like a 40's couple. But before halloween we got invited to go to a mystery dinner at this old mansion and they are having a 1940's dress up contest!! :eusa_clap He will be going as an army air-corp officer from the war and me in the typical dress that the ladies in those days wore. Well, I have the dress part down, his adorable grandmama is making it for me (it's a slinky type polyester in a red color, not orangy tho, more dark red). I also have the shoes, I got some black suede wedge pumps at Pay less for $20 bucks, they are adorable and i've been told work great for that time period (i hope thats right?). Now I'm just needing a hair do. My hair is pretty long, to the middle of my back, i have long bangs (equal in length to the rest of my hair), its kinda thin on the sides but thicker in the back. It has definetly been known to hold curl well. Any suggestions?? I have a stylist booked for that day and I was told to take in several different pictures just in case she couldn't accomplish the look i am wanting (which kinda worries me). I found one of Kate Beckinsale from Pearl Harbor and its perfect, it has the rolls along the top and pulled up on the sides and the rest is down and curled. I mean I'm thinking that shouldn't be that hard to do, right? I've also been looking at pictures of Veronica Lake since her hair was long like mine. I'm probably obsessing about this more than I need to, but we are just soo excited about doing this, I want it to be perfect!! Also I need tips for make up to i.e. how much makeup to wear, did they wear eyeshadow? things like that. Any Tips are sooooo appreciated!!!

P.s. I just absolutely LUV everyones pictures on here of their hair and their looks!!! When we go to our event, I'm definitely going to be posting our pictures up of us!!! ;)

Megan

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
wannabe40sgirl said:
Hello everyone!! I have been browsing the internet for the past several weeks looking for advice on what to do for a 40's hair-do/makeup. I came across this forum and I am glued to it!!! My boyfriend and I are really into the WWII era, he mostly into the war part, I am too but mostly I have become obsessed with the fashion part of it. The ladies in those days were soo classy, I just love it!! Anyways, we had already planned for Halloween to dress like a 40's couple. But before halloween we got invited to go to a mystery dinner at this old mansion and they are having a 1940's dress up contest!! :eusa_clap He will be going as an army air-corp officer from the war and me in the typical dress that the ladies in those days wore. Well, I have the dress part down, his adorable grandmama is making it for me (it's a slinky type polyester in a red color, not orangy tho, more dark red). I also have the shoes, I got some black suede wedge pumps at Pay less for $20 bucks, they are adorable and i've been told work great for that time period (i hope thats right?). Now I'm just needing a hair do. My hair is pretty long, to the middle of my back, i have long bangs (equal in length to the rest of my hair), its kinda thin on the sides but thicker in the back. It has definetly been known to hold curl well. Any suggestions?? I have a stylist booked for that day and I was told to take in several different pictures just in case she couldn't accomplish the look i am wanting (which kinda worries me). I found one of Kate Beckinsale from Pearl Harbor and its perfect, it has the rolls along the top and pulled up on the sides and the rest is down and curled. I mean I'm thinking that shouldn't be that hard to do, right? I've also been looking at pictures of Veronica Lake since her hair was long like mine. I'm probably obsessing about this more than I need to, but we are just soo excited about doing this, I want it to be perfect!! Also I need tips for make up to i.e. how much makeup to wear, did they wear eyeshadow? things like that. Any Tips are sooooo appreciated!!!

P.s. I just absolutely LUV everyones pictures on here of their hair and their looks!!! When we go to our event, I'm definitely going to be posting our pictures up of us!!! ;)

Megan

Welcome to The Lounge Megan! It's nice to have you here.
This place if filled to the brim with all of the information that you will need for your hair, make-up, clothes, and much more. Check out all of the threads in both The Powder Room and the Beauty section. There are countless threads on the subjects you are in need of. If you have trouble finding them, we do have a search engine, but be very specific with the keywords you use, it's a bit touchy! Also, if you want an easier way to find the information that's here, just google what you're looking for and add the words "The Fedora Lounge" to your search. This will reveal a lot of threads in our archives.
I know it's overwhelming, being that there is so much info here. But, just take a little time to browse and I'm sure you'll come up with a lot of helpful information.

Here's a list from the archives done through a Yahoo search that you might find has helpful links to threads.
Page 2 archive list
Here's a link to a Yahoo search "1940's makeup the fedora lounge. It reveals a lot, hopefully some of the links will be useful to you.
Welcome again:)
Daisy

wannabe40sgirl

New in Town
Thank you sooo much Daisy!!! All of those links are sooo helpful! :D Your 1940's dresses that you are modeling in your slideshows are sooo beautiful!!! Where do you find them at?? I would love to start collecting them and/or wear them, if I can find them in my size. Is Ebay a good place you think?? I've just had bad luck on there sometimes.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Johanna, you are simply amazing! I would love to have your hair for one day.. ok, maybe a month.. just to play with it!;)

Josephine

One Too Many
I had a dream this morning where I was getting ready for something (maybe the wedding I'm going to this Sat?) and I parted my hair on the side and put the larger side up in a roll, then took the rest and put it in a chignon roll from ear to ear. It looked pretty good, I'll have to see if I can do it for real and show it. :)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Johanna, your pics are just lovely. I can't help but think that if Marilyn Monroe had had a long lost baby sister she'd have looked like you!:)

By the way your eye make up is fabulous it looks very similar to the techniques Monroe used to use , did you use her for inspiration or did you come up with it yourself?

Johanna

One of the Regulars
Thank you! :D I did get the idea for the little winged line under the eye from Marilyn. I read about it somewhere and tried it and discovered that it suited my eyes much better than just lining the upper lid. Every time I've tried to put eyeliner under my eye it used to look weird, but for some reason it looks really nice when I do that little wing.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Right now, what I find the most difficult is doing my pomp, since my fringe is still very short... I will be a very happy gal once my fringe reaches the desired 4 inch length!

So right now, when I need my pomp to be decent, I have to use lots of pins, and even then it's not very nice because the pins show because I don't have that much hair in the front where it's only about 2 inch long where it's longest, and maybe only half an inch at the sides (I had a U shaped fringe)... Really frustrating. You can see how short it is in picture 4 and 5 below.

Do any of you have this problem and if so, how do you deal with it while the hair is growing?

Most of the time I make a small arrangement of curls on top, as in my avatar picture. This time I tried a pomp, but it failed (see picture 1) so I had to improvise and pin it. I'm wearing a sleeping hair net (picture 2 and 3), love the look of those, and my curls last much longer when I wear them.

Front%201.jpg

Nape%201.jpg

Nape%202.jpg

Side.jpg

Side%202.jpg

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Laura Chase, your hair looks lovely! Gorgeous colour, too!

A quick question for the rest of you girls (and I feel somewhat silly asking it!): how exactly does one use pin curl pins? They're so wide...:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn