Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Dracca

One of the Regulars
~*Red*~ said:
On Tuesday I layered my hair and set it sponge rollers.. no tension, medium on the sides, small for my bangs and the back, extra small on the neck.
This is Wednesday, brushed out with Royal Crown Dressing. The back stayed curly through Friday, and would have stayed longer, but I needed a shampoo.. hee hee...I also changed my bangs from a triangle part to a rectangle part, which is much more versatile!

100_4106.jpg

This look really suits you and the shine, wow! It looks just like a 1940's moviestar hairstyle.

JitterBugJenny

New in Town
~*Red*~ said:
On Tuesday I layered my hair and set it sponge rollers.. no tension, medium on the sides, small for my bangs and the back, extra small on the neck.
This is Wednesday, brushed out with Royal Crown Dressing. The back stayed curly through Friday, and would have stayed longer, but I needed a shampoo.. hee hee...I also changed my bangs from a triangle part to a rectangle part, which is much more versatile!

100_4106.jpg

AMAZING! - You did a great job! Thanks for the compliment and the warm welcome!

-do you have thick hair? I love that style but my hair is so thick, not sure if it would even be possible for me to do-

zaika

One Too Many
lol. thank you Red!
and i just have to say that every time you post a picture my love for your hair grows. lol you did a fantastic job again! i must try that. but please...how do you brush out with royal crown? i'm thinking of getting some to make my hair less frizzy and define the curls better.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Thanks ladies for the wonderful compliments!
Yes, my hair is very thick, and the layering helps. It's also why I really like to use the Royal Crown hair dressing. It controls my frizz, adds shine, and will tame the curl if it's too curly. Not alot mind you, but it does work, without the sticky or dryness of hairspray.

Zaika, after I take out the curlers (wet set) I brush my hair to see how curly it is. Then I will take a little dab of RC, smooth between my hands and run over my hair, especially on the ends. I try to cover all my hair. Then I brush again and smooth the curls. Depending on the curliness of my hair.. if it is too curly, then I use about a quarter size ( I have thick hair too!) other wise, for normal curls, I use about a dime size. If I am doing a hot set, I use about a dime size and rub through before I roll my hair. Comes out nice and shiny. I don't really recommend for people with fine hair.. it can be too heavy and look greasy.

Madalene Laurae

New in Town
HELP!

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!

I tried doing pin curls last night and ended up with this!

frizz.jpg

I tried to brush out the left side and then did the right side with my fingers. I tried doing the "glamourous casual" that is in the Classic Style Starter Kit thread.

Any tips on what I did wrong, how I can improve next time?

Thanks!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Madalene Laurae said:

Madalene, there are many tips in this thread about these issues. Please try to read back to see what you can find!

* use end papers to prevent kinked ends
* use bigger sections
* add a pomade when setting your hair to help prevent frizzies
* brush more. half of doing pincurls is brushing them out properly, which can take a LOOOONG time

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Okay, I think I got some of it right this time. Not quite forties yet, but we're getting there. Baby steps!

I did this with a combo of plastic rollers and pin curls ('cause I ran out of the rollers!)...any suggestions for my next foray into the dark world that is my hair?

SelfPortraits_07.jpg

SelfPortraits_10.jpg

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Madalene Laurae said:

frizz.jpg

I tried to brush out the left side and then did the right side with my fingers. I tried doing the "glamourous casual" that is in the Classic Style Starter Kit thread.

Thanks!

Wow! You have a great head of hair! :eusa_clap

Maybe your hair is too long & thick for pin-curls?

Madalene Laurae

New in Town
Miss Brill said:
Wow! You have a great head of hair! :eusa_clap

Maybe your hair is too long & thick for pin-curls?

My 70 year old grandmother still has a thick head of hair, that I can thank her for. It is more than halfway down my back but I have it layered or else it kills me in the summer. Maybe I will have to stick with hot rollers and curling irons although I am going to try pin curls again with bigger sections of hair and some kind of setting lotion.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Madalene Laurae: If you want to keep doing the pincurls...try bigger sections...what size of a section are you using now? ANd Also, try rolling the curl bigger.. meaning the diameter of the curl is larger...(for instance.. instead of a dime size curl, try a quarter size.. )

Also, practice practice practice. For myself, since I am lazy and my hair is bone straight, I only pincurl my hair after it has already been set with curlers.. like on night two before bed.

.k.: Very Cute!

sweetfrancaise: I love the curls!! What sort of look are you going for? Waves, Pageboy, rolls?

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Madalene Laurae said:

frizz.jpg

Thanks!

I have long thick hair too... if you can handle it, I would suggest switching over to perming rods and sleep with them in your hair over night. Since you have long hair pin curls aren't really going to do much except put (non placement) curl in your hair, so perming rods will work just the same, but give a better effect.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
~*Red*~ said:
sweetfrancaise: I love the curls!! What sort of look are you going for? Waves, Pageboy, rolls?

Thanks, Red! I wanted rolls...and I received ringlets, that turned out alright but I'm not so sure how to get that pretty, sleek look. Any suggestions?

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Madalene Laurae said:
My 70 year old grandmother still has a thick head of hair, that I can thank her for. It is more than halfway down my back but I have it layered or else it kills me in the summer. Maybe I will have to stick with hot rollers and curling irons although I am going to try pin curls again with bigger sections of hair and some kind of setting lotion.

Have you tried the Veronica Lake style? That would be a great took to go for.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
sweetfrancaise said:
Thanks, Red! I wanted rolls...and I received ringlets, that turned out alright but I'm not so sure how to get that pretty, sleek look. Any suggestions?

Brush them and form the brushed hair into bigger curls..like... brush a section of your hair around your fingers. You brush and smooth it. For the rolls...you take a section of hair from crown to ear, (you may need a rat or some backcoming) and form a "roll" upward.. or down, depending on what you are going for. Then you pin. You got the curls, now you just have to play with them! Have fun!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran