Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Hair Color woes:

I have always used Loreal Preference in the past and it worked wonderfully in keeping my hair a bright chesnut red. However, I made the mistake of switching brands and trying out Garnier Nutrisse. The color was uneven ( I blame the super thick consistency that is difficult to spread) and actually appeared dull brown at the ends and DARK burgundy on the crown.

In the past, the only thing that worked to even such mistakes out is a highly pigmented semi permanant color like Manic Panic. I chose a blue based red this time and concentrated on the ends before applying it all over. I allowed it to process 30 minutes before rinsing. My hair is now 'pin up purple'. NOT what I wanted but infinitely better than that uneven mess. I was gonna post a picture from my computer but couldnt figure that out??

What are your hair color experiences and what has worked for you?

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
LisaFreemontSt said:
*Snip*Hair Color woes:
My hair is now 'pin up purple'. NOT what I wanted but infinitely better than that uneven mess. I was gonna post a picture from my computer but couldnt figure that out??

Too bad it didn't turn out how you planned. I'd love to see a picture. As far as dye conversations, you might want to check out this thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=41914

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
I finally managed to reasonably brush out my curls into waves. It's not perfect but it's my best attempt so far :)
Pre-brushing (hot sticks)
3850008102_4d168ee1a6.jpg

Post brushing
3849209983_b46461dfe4.jpg

pretty faythe

One Too Many
LisaFreemontSt said:
Hair Color woes:

I was gonna post a picture from my computer but couldnt figure that out??

Use a photosharing site like photobucket and post the images link on here, off hand I think the one that shows the pic is the one with the img code.

Usually when I wind up messing up my color I tend to start goring green or brassy. Last time I hated the color I got I used what I believe is called color oops...took out a lot of the ickyness so I could start fresh, and its s'posed to be non damaging.

pumori

New in Town
LisaFreemontSt said:
Hair Color woes:

I used to dye my hair with just about anything, when it was longer. It's been through a lot of natural shades and even bright pink; I also ended up with a peculiar purple-ish shade at some point from a questionable box of auburn dye. Recently I used henna (not pure henna exactly, but some stuff from Lush that has a very dark henna-based black) to get it back to its natural color. I LOVE it. Lush sells a lot of shades of henna, from the true bright red to dark chestnut through a dark brown and finally a black. It even repaired some of the damage to my hair, I just left the henna on overnight and it finally feels soft again! You just have to be careful of peroxide. Bleaching before or after henna can be disasterous, my friend's hair turned a moldy green-grey color...

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Audrey! The waves are gorgeous. Tell me about hot sticks. Are they good for 'middy' length or better for long? I need a new heated set but am torn about purchasing a standard hot roller set or a steam one...or maybe hot sticks would be a great options. What are the like? I have only a vague idea...

If they are better for long hair, perhaps I'd do better to buy a set for when I work on long hair...

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
pretty faythe said:
Use a photosharing site like photobucket and post the images link on here, off hand I think the one that shows the pic is the one with the img code.

Usually when I wind up messing up my color I tend to start goring green or brassy. Last time I hated the color I got I used what I believe is called color oops...took out a lot of the ickyness so I could start fresh, and its s'posed to be non damaging.

I'm uploading a video today that will show the color...purpleish red. I kinda like it now...though it doesnt really work for the Grace Kelly look I was attempting. lol

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Thanks for the compliments ladies!

Hailey: I usually use Biosilk after washing my hair to try to keep the frizzies away. When I curl it I use either mouse or hairspray but I've found it comes out much better when I use less product. I think the reason this time worked out is because I left the hotsticks in for an hour or two instead of my normal 30 minutes. It made a difference because the curls were stable enough to really brush well.

Lisa: I'm pretty sure hotsticks would work well for shortish hair too. A lot of ladies here are big fans because they get so hot and they're fairly easy to use. Check out Fleur's popular tutorial to see them in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwmqsRjm3lY

Emer

One of the Regulars
curls

I attempted to do curls with my flat iron today and I think the results turned out very nicely!

curls-1.jpg

Definitely not a vintage way to do it, but it didn't take much longer than had I straightened my hair. I haven't decided if I'm going to pull part of it back for the day or just leave it.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Thoughts on this book?

I recently came across the book Vintage Hairstyling: Retro Styles with Modern Techniques by Lauren Rennells, 2nd edition. It looks great and I am wondering if any of you ladies have used the book and what you thought of it.

I know there is a first edition for sale in the Classifieds here, so I am also wondering what is the difference between first and 2nd editions?

I am interested in getting this book, so I would appreciate your reviews.
Thanks!

Inky

One Too Many
SweetieStarr said:
I recently came across the book Vintage Hairstyling: Retro Styles with Modern Techniques by Lauren Rennells, 2nd edition. It looks great and I am wondering if any of you ladies have used the book and what you thought of it.

I know there is a first edition for sale in the Classifieds here, so I am also wondering what is the difference between first and 2nd editions?

I am interested in getting this book, so I would appreciate your reviews.
Thanks!

Lauren's book (1st and 2nd editions) are fantastic. I have both but haven't compared them yet. I know there are hairstyles in the 2nd edition that are not in the first (like the fabulous cover style!) and the manicure section is extended.

I will try to do a comparison for you this week, but I would say if you are eager, buy the 2nd edition - you won't be disappointed! I learned so much from the 1st edition - i was a total novice at curling my hair before!

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
I've been in touch w/ Lauren about reviewing her book on my channel and maybe demonstrating how well the book works by doing a couple of the styles. I'm anxious to try it too! She is so phenomenally talented!

Emer

One of the Regulars
Lily Amelia said:
Wow that looks great! I've tried that method before but get myself tied in knots trying to twist the straighteners round, guess maybe I'm not doing it right lol

I had this problem too, but I found that if I just took my time it seemed to work. I didn't section off my hair in any official manner, but I used hair clips and headbands to keep everything seperated.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Help with Pincurls - My first set

Hi ladies,

This is one of my favorite threads and I admire all your wonderful hair-do's. I have never posted in this thread before, but I did my first pin-curl set today. It was far from perfect, but hopefully not too bad for a first attempt. (Somewhat embarassing after seeing some of your 'do's.) The hardest part was getting it to look right after brushing it out.

My hair is long-ish (a bit past the shoulders) and layered, although somewhat grown out by this point.. Because of the length, I had to curl the hair twice around before pinning it. I curled the hair in the way the hair seemed to want to go (if that makes any sense). I do not have setting lotion and did not use any product except for some shine serum.

Sorry for the big heart over the face, but I did not wear any make-up today and am not ready to share that on the Internet!

After the set was dry, I took out the pins. This is unbrushed.
curlsunbrushedfront-s.jpg

Now here is brushed.
curlsbrushedback-s.jpg
curlsbrushedside-s.jpg
curlsbrushedside2-s.jpg

It did come out a bit frizzy, which I think is common. Should I use setting lotion or another product in lieu of lotion?

Also for comparison, this was my hair yesterday on a good day of its natural curl - no set here:
natural1.jpg
natural2.jpg

I would appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Thanks, ladies!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran