Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Handwriting - Vintage Penmanship!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
This is my handwriting. You have been warned...

writingsample101.jpg

The pen that I used is on the 7th slot from the left, top row:

24FountainPens.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The older I get and the more degraded my eyesight becomes, the worse my handwriting looks. This is very very depressing, especially since my grandmother had elegant handwriting her whole life, even after her hands were crippled by arthritis. By the time that happens to me, I'll have eroded to an illegible, chicken-scratched scrawl.

My handwriting isn't the best and I find that speed is the greatest enemy to being legible. Some of the tricks i use to improve my handwriting are:

1) Slow down trying to write fast makes the writer take short cuts in the form of the letters Slow and do the letters the way they should be.
2) Put a lined sheet underneath the plain paper. Unlined paper is a challenge for me -lines always helps.
3) Try to be consistent in lettering, spacing and tilt of the letters. (Hard for me.)
4) Using an Italic, stub, or music nib always helps my writing look a little better.

Happy writing!

Adcurium

A-List Customer
I suppose I DO write more than I first thought. I put post-in notes on files all day long. And my handwriting in ridiculous. In fact, sometimes I don't even finish writing the sentence, yet I send it off to my secretary or paralegal (who thankfully know exactly what I was trying to write). I think I'll make it a point to be a little more... 'civilized' when it comes to my post-its...

I am pulling a few files from my 'out' bin to rewrite my notes...

I suppose I DO write more than I first thought. I put post-in notes on files all day long. And my handwriting in ridiculous. In fact, sometimes I don't even finish writing the sentence, yet I send it off to my secretary or paralegal (who thankfully know exactly what I was trying to write). I think I'll make it a point to be a little more... 'civilized' when it comes to my post-its... I am pulling a few files from my 'out' bin to rewrite my notes...

IF you find that you have certain "action directives" that you do over and over for most files you could consider making a selection form with a check list of actions. Check the appropriate action and if needed add a note as to some specifics of special instructions.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
IF you find that you have certain "action directives" that you do over and over for most files you could consider making a selection form with a check list of actions. Check the appropriate action and if needed add a note as to some specifics of special instructions.

This is a great suggestion. I'm going to keep an eye-out for an opportunity to create a check list...

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The pen..

...is one designed to write in italics. I just use it as an ordinary pen as it suits my hand. But thanks for the lovely comments. I just totally adore your writing style. I wonder what ones' handwriting says about us all?
Pete Doherty is a musician, songwriter, actor, poet, writer, and artist. He is best known for being co-frontman of The Libertines. He also has a lot to say for himself. There's pages of his quotes on the web, one that I came across was:

"You can tell a lot about a person by their handwriting."

Graphologists and psychoanalysts might agree, but I don't. Like Paddy, I write with a broad italic nib, and I can write in Italic Script, Gothic, Copperplate and others, so pick the bones out of that, psychoanalysts. As for cursive, I do a lot of that when the ink blobs. My everyday handwriting is what's commonly known as Italic and there's a story behind it.

At school we had a very forward thinking English teacher. He taught us to write with a broad nib pen just by making vee shapes across the page. He also had an ingenious way of making us practice. If any of us transgressed our punishment would be to write out a passage of Shakespeare, in italic script, at least five times. Thanks to him I can write in Italic and I also have a love of Shakespeare. Here's my handwriting, along with a photo of my favourite pen.
Handwriting and witch 002.JPG Handwriting and witch 001.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
letter 001.JPG

When Tina is busy in her cabin and I am not engaging on this forum what I enjoy doing is to write letters. It's an art that has long disappeared but I know, from the reaction and comments that I get, receiving a handwritten letter still brings much pleasure.

Although I enjoy The Fedora Lounge, I'm not a member of any other forum, but I am a member of The Handwritten Letter Appreciation Society. https://thehandwrittenletterappreciationsociety.org/ Letter writing is just something I like to do and being trained in the art of Italic Script calligraphy makes it just that bit extra.

Last edited:
^^^^^
That’s great. My handwriting never was pretty and it’s only gotten less so with age. But at least it’s still legible, what with its straightforward lack of ornament.

But just as working with film cameras had most people much more deliberate in their picture-taking, so does longhand in their writing.

A resurrected thread such as this refamiliarizes me with one-time regular participants who are rarely if ever heard from anymore. I hope they’re well. Some, alas, are no longer with the living.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy