Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Handwriting - Vintage Penmanship!

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
HungaryTom said:
Another left handed, who was luckily not re-educated to write with the 'right hands'.

Drágán MagyarTamás! (Hope I'm close with that....)

I wonder whether you ever write with the older cursive (assuming there was one in Hungary, like Sütterlinschrift in Germany, or some of the Slavic languages that used roman letters, like Czech and Polish)?

I have tried, in my way (usually with pencil, because of the problem of wet ink mentioned in my last post) to use the typical scripts of the various periods I have reenacted. As you are interested in the "Golden Age," I wonder if you do the same?

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
The third dimension....

Lady Day said:
Im left handed as well and I leared to write calligraphy and Japanese brush writing as a south paw.

Besides being very talented (I've looked at your work in the appropriate thread)....am I wrong in believing that the Asian brush scripts are written with the hand well above the writing surface? (And, I expect, you also have the leisure to write in any direction, rather than our left-to-right requirement. Although Leonardo could get away with the obvious solution. In private....)

"Skeet"

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
Yes, I "re-taught" myself a few years back when I switched over to fountain pens. I address about a dozen envelopes daily and use them to practice my "best" on them at my desk. Ink color can vary from blues, maroons, browns to just about anything out there.

I always wonder if anyone takes notice of the nice colors and old school fountain pen writing. If you have used one, you can tell if something was written with a fountain pen by the way the ink looks.

Trust me, you don't wanna even think about the horror of my penmanship...

Left-handed, can do both but usually prefer to print when I absolutely must do "by hand" work. Notable quirk: I tend to use small-caps instead of lowercase, almost always with a pronounced rake to the right, and the only way I can do anything legibly without great effort in decryption is on graph-paper because I have to literally draw my letters as if I was preparing an engineering diagram.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I have pretty good, readable cursive, nothing fancy or calligraphy-type lovely but it is functional and not unpleasant (I think, anyway) and the people most likely to complain have only said I write "really too small" which is just a quirk I have in print as well.

I think the tininess probably says something gruesome about my personality to a good pseudo-scientific Victorian.

My typing speed is good but I am for one horrified by how many people I've met my age (25) who say they never learned how to write cursive. Let me wave my Professionally Curmudgeon walking stick around as I say that is AWFUL and a sign of a decadent age!

I taught my younger brother cursive when we were kids. He is glad I did, less glad that I taught him by being really mean and making him do it over and over and occasionally smacking him in the back of the head. Which is, alas, probably quite period. lol

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Not only did my brother learn cursive, he was complimented as a beginning martial arts student, not on striking, but on blocking. His words to the sensei were simple: "I have two older sisters." lol

miss_elise

Practically Family
i write in cursive... although sometimes i break in odd places...

we had to learn otherwise we weren't given our 'pen licence' and were thereby limited to pencil (oh the shame)

cecil

A-List Customer
I never got my pen license, Miss Elise! I just started using them in year 5 or whenever it was, after everyone else had already received theirs. Again, my cursive is really, really awful. Hahaha.

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
I can write in cursive, but it is absolutly horrific to anyone but me, so I write everything in bold square capitals, for anything other people will read - and even then no one can read it without me to translate!
But maybe if I had a nice stationary set, I'd cursive more often - spend some time on it so the recipient can actually read it!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i write in all caps, too...

a habit formed during sophmore year highschool, broken during junior year, and reformed during senior...going strong ever since...except for Ys and Gs...i loop those in lower case...

it's very legible unless i don't care or lecture notes...

cecil

A-List Customer
Thought I'd bump this after LaMedicine linked to it in the cursive thread, because I realised that I do have a photo of my handwriting.

I've grown to love my illegible chicken scratch. Others, not so much. lol

Here it is. the "bahahahaha" and "hard-hitting questions" are not mine.

n542939218_1462770_8200224.jpg

DerMann

Practically Family
For most of my school years, I wrote in awful, illegible print.

In my senior year of highschool, when I took up fountain pens, I forced myself to write in cursive (even practiced it again). Writing print with a fountain pen just feels wrong. The flowing nature of fountain pens makes cursive the natural hand for fountain pen users.

Writing at normal speed, I can maintain fairly well formed letters, but it's still not perfect.

I don't have a current scan of my handwriting, but I'll try and get something when it's light (we all should).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner