Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your motorcycles!

swanky_frankie

New in Town
KilroyCD said:
I've already posted this on the Balloon Tire Bicycles thread, but it also belongs here (or so I think). Here's my 2005 Whizzer NE5. I'm still in the midst of making more retro touches to it, so it's not quite finished yet. I'll be getting it titled and tagged this week.
100_0946.jpg

this is awesome! may I ask how much this goes for?

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Here's one that I just finished recently,and just started earlier this week-a '67 Triumph T100R. This view shows what I like about the mid-'60s Triumphs-the slim, lean,uncluttered agile look of them. That's my Royal Enfield Bullet in the background.

S6000195.jpg

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
jeep44 said:
Here's one that I just finished recently,and just started earlier this week-a '67 Triumph T100R. This view shows what I like about the mid-'60s Triumphs-the slim, lean,uncluttered agile look of them. That's my Royal Enfield Bullet in the background.

S6000195.jpg

I really want one of these. My Honda 360 is similar in lines.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
It's not very practical, but it is a motorcycle in it's purest form-no luggage racks,no bags,no turnsignals. No fuel injection,or computer,either. Not much use for anything but going for a pleasant ride. This is the bike I should have had when I was 17.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Wow, a bike thread. Cool.

Here's two of what I still have.

The first is a '75 CB750 thats been, um, modified a bit. This is an older pic. There have been a couple of changes since.

10_0706_0155.jpg

The next is my FJ1200 which Ive owned for many years. I dont think Ill ever get rid of it.

fjmyRF091903.jpg

This is an '02 Drifter that I sold a few months ago. Not sure why I did.

a6fff88a.jpg

There have been others that I'll post later.

babs

A-List Customer
Old bike.. 1990 Heritage.. 2nd ebay purchase. How I miss her... My first "classic" anything:
SittingontheoldScoot.jpg

When I learned that "new" and "warranty" were cool things with H-D's.. A 2004 fatboy:
DSC03141Small.jpg

... both sold now sadly.

Next bike pic:
[ placeholder ]
hehe :)

mrfish

New in Town
oy. Not exactly a vintage theme for one of my first posts, but here are my current motorbikes:

The pick-up of the lot:

bikeridedec27001.jpg

The sport bike amidst the unholy mess that is my garage:

garageandbikes1-1-09001.jpg

The old, and forlorn, project:

garageandbikes1-1-09004.jpg

and the BMW that I've had for well over 20 years. It's currently up on the bench getting some much-needed attention:

garageandbikes1-1-09009.jpg

mrfish

mrfish

New in Town
Some lovely bikes here. I have to say, for years I was an anti-Harley snob. "Slow, heavy, overpriced. . . ", well you've all heard the drivel, but I really am appreciating them now. My favorites are the big twins, especially the Police versions. The solo saddles and saddlebags really make them stand out as good useful bikes with a lot of style. I think one is in my future. I hope so, anyway.

mrfish

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Mr Fish,

If you're talking about today's Harleys, I don't think you are far off base. They are slow, heavy and overpriced !!! Britsh and Japanese and German bikes are all better engineered and represent the natural "evolution" of the motorcycle- i.e. constantly improving.

However!!! If we're talking vintage harleys- of The Golden Era- they are tops. They were built for American road conditions which meant rugged, simple but with plenty of low end "umph". Especially the 61 and 74 OHV !!!(later to be called the Knucklehead).

mrfish

New in Town
Oh, I don't know about that C. Dangerous to compare motorcycles. One quickly lumbers into purely subjective areas.
I value simplicity in my bikes (see my post above). Pushrod aircooled motors are perfectly OK with me.
Modern HDs are very reliable machines capable of covering a lot of ground comfortably. Dealers everywhere and the best fit and finish in the business. The only drawback is the seeming compulsion of some owners to dress like Gay Pirates.
I also like the bikes that you mention from Britain and the Axis powers, but it's a matter of horses for courses. I now consider the Harley to be an imminent tenant of the unholy mess that is my garage.
I'm sorry for my laziness in not going back through this thread to find the answer, but what do you ride? Chances are, I'll like that, too.

mrfish

Peacoat

Bartender
A motorcycle thread, great! I've always thought motorcycles were meant to be ridden and not necessarily looked at, so here is a picture of me on my Police Road King demonstrating the proper way to make a U turn during a class I taught this summer.

Look, Lock and Lean.

Motorcop.jpg

babs

A-List Customer
Impressive!! When I first got the old blue and white Heritage above, I took the BRC (beg. Riders Course) and got a little intro to doing parking lot figure 8's etc and the strict rules of good behavior (looking into the turn, etc). A lot of fun throwing the big bike around in a small area. One thing about the big FL harleys.. Nice low center of gravity.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, the Harleys without the tour packs and, to a lesser extent, the fairings have a nice low center of gravity. Surprisingly the Gold Wings also have a low center of gravity. Now that is a fine motorcycle. I can do with a Goldwing what I can do with the Harley; just takes me time to get used to it.

I too, took the BRC as well as the ERC a few times when I started back riding as an adult. But it wasn't until I took the police certification course that I actually learned to ride a motorcycle. For example, the dreaded "box" in the BRC and the ERC (MSF courses) is 24' x 70' and most students have serious difficulty in making the figure 8s inside the box on a consistent basis.

For figure 8 and U turn training, I use a box that is 18' x 36' and work within those parameters. The standard police exercises are at 18'. Or if the instructor wants to be a jerk, he puts the cones on 18' centers, which knocks it down to 17' between the cones. Take away another foot or so for clearance for the crash bars and the saddle bags, and isn't much room to do the maneuvers.

In the class when the picture above was made, I was teaching the police technique of throttle, clutch and rear brake to civilian riders. Or maybe I should say that I was trying to teach the technique! It is best to learn on a department motor so that dropping it is not such a concern. It's a hard method to learn. When done properly, the sensation is one of having the front wheel collapse under the frame, and of falling over at the same time. Of course it takes a lot of practice to get to that level.

Your Heritage looks to be in mint condition; it's a nice motor. Several of my riding buddies have them and would have nothing else.

Look, Lock and Lean.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Peacoat said:
A motorcycle thread, great! I've always thought motorcycles were meant to be ridden and not necessarily looked at, so here is a picture of me on my Police Road King demonstrating the proper way to make a U turn during a class I taught this summer.

Look, Lock and Lean.

Motorcop.jpg

Great!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for posting Peacoat...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

babs

A-List Customer
Great info.. Ok now I've got the bug again

Fabulous!! The Mrs is gonna kill me... :) I've got to get a new scoot soon I'm pretty sure.. Like Brian Keith's line in the movie "The Mountain Men".. "If I don't get some whiskey soon I'm going to DIE!!!!!!" hehehe Except in my case it's single-pin Milwaukee v-twin I gotta have.

Peacoat you sould post up a vid sometime of that 18'x36' sometime. That'd be a jaw-dropper.

Yeah I wanted to take the ERC but never could get around to it. So I can hold one between the ditches, but don't consider myself by any means a solid rider.. I guess about like 90% of the riders on the road. But it was amazing after the BRC... I had been riding 2 years when I took it, but in 2 days I was 100% better rider.

The very next ride up 74 through the twisties to Lake Lure I left my buddy long behind on his 03 Heritage. His jaw dropped... All I was doing was getting my eyes into the turn, trusting the bike, throttling steady throuh and rolling on as I came out as I was taught. Just basic stuff, but all the sudden I was throwing that old '90 around like it was meant to be. Quite a few years ago now.. I can't even remember how it goes now. "look, push.... something else." Oh well.. That's what good refresher courses will be for once I get new wheels. :) Sooner rather than later I hope.

Sat on a Raider.. That could make me go to the dark side I think. Fit like a perfect pair of shoes. :) Supposedly for a raked out scoot, they handle really well also.

Scott

babs

A-List Customer
scottyrocks said:
Wow, a bike thread. Cool.

This is an '02 Drifter that I sold a few months ago. Not sure why I did.
a6fff88a.jpg

.... I'm not sure why you did either!! :) hehe Those drifters were cool. I'm shocked at what the 1500's are going for these days. I saw one blow out at $3k!!!! I really wish Kawa would come out with a new one with their new big-inch belt drive engines and seam-less tanks.. Maybe a version of the new Vulcan 1700. Lowered and stretched with Indian-esque fenders, white-walls and spokes. I'd be in line to salute that one I think if they sent it up the flag-pole.

Peacoat

Bartender
Carlisle Blue: Now I see where you have been hanging out. I seldom get out of the Outerwear section, but you are a man of many talents.

Babs: I don't know how to post a video. I could get someone to shoot me doing figure 8s transitioning quickly into circles to the left and then circles to the right. It would all be lock to lock, and might look good, especially if I could get the sound of the boards/frame scraping. But once I got it, I still wouldn't know how to post it. I'll look into it and see what I can come up with. Maybe U-Tube?

Knowing me I would try too hard and take spill. That happened to one of the motor sergeants who was doing a live broadcast for the local 6:00 news. At the time he was probably the best rider in the section. He warmed up and practiced for a few minutes before the live feed, and all was well. When the reporter signaled they were live, the Sergeant wanted to make it a little tighter and a little faster and promptly dropped it. Howls of laughter from the motor officer spectators, and a very embarrassed sergeant got up from the pavement. That happened ten years or so ago, and no one in our group has forgotten the incident. Neither has the Sergeant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112