Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Munrospun, Braespun, Lochmarl etc. Ties!

Hal

Practically Family
The plaid ones were pretty much the everyday mainstay tie over here from the 20's into the 70's and you still see old guys wearing them today and us younger stylish sorts.
Also striped ties - Craigmill made a lot of these. I remember being told "plain tie with patterned shirt, patterned tie with plain shirt".
In my recollection, wool ties had an eclipse in the 1980s when the sports jacket was squeezed between more frequent suit-wearing (the "yuppie" "power suit" period) and the more frequent wearing of casual clothes. This led to the decline of the wool tie; when the sports jacket came back in the 1990s it was worn with open-necked shirts (ugh!). Some wool ties have appeared again in the shops - surely it's time for a
revival!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Pretty much all new ones I've bought recently. I'll let the labels speak for themselves. I've got shed-loads of these two-tone ties - I love them! Really subtle colouring - exactly what the Americans hate ;)

Let me know what you reckon gents! Please keep posting your own!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Just a few more - these are perhaps my absolute favourite ties of my collection - had them ages. A wool 'Linosair' is no.1 for me, it just ticks all the boxes, an 'Akco' necktie, which is something I haven't come across before or since (I understood they only made bowties), and the most pristine vintage tie I have ever come across, with amazing colours (whiter-than-white-whites!). I want to see your favourites too gents!

Thanks!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
You know you will really be upsetting the Americans with all those 'boring ties'.

I am expecting you to post a selection of close up shots just to illustrate all the various 'Klipper' labels in your collection. That's the first AKCO tie I've seen (only seen bow ties before), similarly the Damax and Prova are new to me.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Esteban68 - thanks! I'm always on the hunt!

TT - I have a couple apiece of Prova and Damax - a really old silk Damax in that really crinkly weave which I assume would be 1930s. As for different Klipper labels, there aren't many variations that I've found! For standard ties they seemed to use the same label (slightly varying sizes but smae info) right from the early period into the 60s. The only variation I have come across is the superb 'Empire' one you sent me with the black label, and then another 'Empire' with the normal white label. I'll post more tonight if people are interested?

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
As per TT's request, here are the full variants on Klipper's labels. I'd say the 'Empire' ones are the earliest, but really with Klippers their era is pretty obvious from their shape! They go from really wide kite to simple and narrow for the 60s.

Here are some more of my Klippers - I'm well into them as you might be able to tell!

Thanks for looking!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Here are the different labels of Munrospuns - from early to late. Let me know if you have any variants to these!

Not confident on the last two. I've found them interchangeably on modern and more traditional styles of tie.
Thanks!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
And now three that my Grandad has given me, all I assume from the 1950s. The middle one he gave me a while ago, the other two just recently when my Mamma made him clear out a load of his old ties :) Haha!
An unlabelled one on the left, the middle just states 'Guaranteed Scottish, Hand Woven, Homespun', and a Resiline two-tone, of the sort I love!

And here is my 'Grenville' collection:

All have this label:

Some shop labels in them though:

Thanks for looking gents! At least now I have *most* of my Klipper and Munrospun collection documented!

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
A recent 'Munrospun' find off fleabay;
2gwxbph.jpg
ezr2xl.jpg

rcrg8x.jpg

colour is halfway between the first and last picture shown, it has an unusual 'spongey' texture to the wool qwuire unlike any other woolen tie I've seen or handled.
3 1/2" x 52" so not too old I think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner