Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Munrospun, Braespun, Lochmarl etc. Ties!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
I am a big fan of the Munrospun style of woven tie - there's so much depth of colour, and even what appears to be the plainest weave at first glance shows a myriad of colours upon further inspection. So please show us what you've got!
Here are a couple of my favourites as examples to get the ball rolling!

This is an early Munrospun with the label in the small blade - and it's my absolute favourite. Plus a nice shop label to boot!

Here is a later Munrospun, probably from the sixties going by the longer length:

And here's a shot of it's label on the back:

Next is a 'Lochmarl', again a really old one. Notice how the thicker weaves like this have reinforced stitching around the neck:

This one I love. It's a 'Braespun Trias' - the mix of colour is great, and it changes depending on where you look at it from:

And a couple of shots at the labels:

I've shown you mine, now you show me yours!
Thanks for looking,
Eddie

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That first one is rather nice. But beware - you have strayed into what some of our American tie-loving friends call the 'Boring Tie' territory!!!!!

Hal

Practically Family
I am a big fan of the Munrospun style of woven tie - there's so much depth of colour, and even what appears to be the plainest weave at first glance shows a myriad of colours upon further inspection. So please show us what you've got!
The first two, in particular, are wonderful ties! That type of tie is what I have always bought for perhaps 50 years now (as a teacher whose daily workwear was sports-jacket-and-tie). And if their patterns are "boring" - so what? I much prefer them to the painted ties of the late 1940s and early 1950s which are so praised on these fora.

Papperskatt

Practically Family
I think that I have at least one tie that should fit this thread; will post it within the next few days.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Estaban - I'd love to see that one you wore at Belper again - not often you see them with blue on.
Hal - Thanks for the compliments! I completely agree - but really I find these type of ties incredibly vibrant but in an understated way. Especially those two-tone ones like the Braespun I posted.
Papperskatt - Please do - I love to see them. And any others too that are of a similar ilk and a bit interesting!

In general folks, what is the name for that type of weave on the tie? I always refer to them as Munrospun but obviously that is just the most famous brand. Anyone got some knowledge to drop?

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Lochmarl. Plain blue, reinforced stitching. My first ever vintage tie.

_MG_9314.jpg _MG_9316.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Ok here's the Munrospun you mentioned from the other day;
5b5fs.jpg
a5kdxi.jpg

3486qfb.jpg

Here's a Klipper I acquired recently on a trip up to North Yorkshire, we visited a ladies vintage attire shop and off-chance I asked if she sold gents stuff at first she said no then " I have some downstairs somewhere", anyway a trip downstairs brought this excellent Klipper and also A 1940's Harris tweed overcoat...more of that soon!
2im8g2q.jpg
25q4uip.jpg

mvrx9w.jpg

Colour in label pic above is just about spot on, it appears a little washed out in other two pics!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner