Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Munrospun, Braespun, Lochmarl etc. Ties!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Nice! Very unusual! It's the sixties label (with that Woolmark that we've discussed before) but of a less common width than most from that era. Looks like camo! Nice find!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
A nice red Munrospun. I've got loads of nice vintage red ties now. I'm thinking of starting up a business - 'The Well-Dressed Soviet'. It might take off. Irony is very popular.

This one with a nice little ram/sheep on it. I've got another with that on too.

Munrospun, Sammy, and Munrospun. I like the first two - nice and vibrant, but unfortunately the right-hand one is dropping to bits.

'Klipper Empire', which falls into the category of 'Perfect Tie' for me, and a 'Baratex', a brand that I haven't heard off, that just needs a little stitching at the blade.

A nice two-tone 'Vigorn' (never heard of it), a Welsh one, with the label in full Welsh:
'Gwlan I Gyd
A
Y Siop Wlan Gymrieg
Bermo' - Hal, perhaps you can translate this?
And a nice mustard-yellow Munrospun - perhaps TT is a fan of this colour?

Thanks for looking!

Hal

Practically Family
A nice two-tone 'Vigorn' (never heard of it), a Welsh one, with the label in full Welsh:
'Gwlan I Gyd
A
Y Siop Wlan Gymrieg
Bermo' - Hal, perhaps you can translate this?
"Vigorn" is not a Welsh word; it's Latin for Worcester.
"Gwlan i gyd" = (roughly) wool for all. "A" = and.
"Y Siop Wlan Gymreig, Bermo" - the Welsh wool shop, Barmouth.
"Bermo" is NOT a corruption of the English word Barmouth but an abbreviation of "Abermaw" (the estuary of the Mawddach) - Barmouth is at the mouth of the river Mawddach.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Thanks Hal! Sorry, I wrote it rather badly - the Vigorn is the two-tone, and the Welsh one is the middle one. It's nice that it's got that bit of history to it, as well as being written fully in Welsh! I remember going to Barmouth as a kid. Houses and Church mostly made of dark slate if I recall correctly?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
not sure of the date of this one (can't remember where i bought it either)... 'Welch, Margetson & Co Ltd':

_1030433_zpsd0kwwbut.jpg

_1030434_zps4avs4poj.jpg

_1030435_zpsouc1kzbh.jpg

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Wow. That tie is amazing. I've never seen one like it! An interesting weave for silk, and the colours are fantastic! A new dream tie!

Is there reinforced stitching around the neck? Either way, it seems pretty old to me.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Eddie, no there's no stitching. the dimensions are standard 30s-40s, but the label doesn't give a lot away in terms of dating.
(the label is on the back of the thick rather than thin end).

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Odd label position then really. The weave is similar to this deadstock rayon tie I got from Australia, alongside some other similar ones. I assume it's 1940s going by the length and fairly wide blade.

No labels other than 'All Rayon'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner