Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
1947 pattern french army greatcoat from 1969. Very warm and heavy material:)

CIMG5253.jpg

Justdog

Practically Family
Gabardine Overcoat

Just recently aquired a 1940 Gabardine overcoat. Roger Douglas Bullocks Los Angeles. 42XL. Sleeves were 28 so I decided to bite the bullet and take it to a good tailor. I took it to Stavaros tailors in the Yorkville Cumberland area of Toronto. This is a pretty exclusive area:) but what the heck. The reception was amazing and the shop felt of real energy. The owner I showed the coat to was impressed with the condition for the age. He laid it out on the counter and told me it was all hand stiched. I was obviously pretty interested. The tailor arrived and pinned the sleeves. The tailor was genuine and just a great personable gentleman. They have custom tailored suits and Bespoke suits. Looking forward to getting it back. Quite a nice piece of vintage wear.
If any one knows anything about Roger Douglas or Bullocks the info would be great.

deco_darling

One of the Regulars
1940s Wool Coat with large padded shoulders, beaded buttons down the front, wrists, chest and pockets. Sleeves also bell out with fitted cuffs. Light and very comfortable. I love it!

DSCN1116.jpg

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Dixon Cannon said:
..but it is the one that Tom Hanks wore as Mike Sullivan in 'Road To Perdition'. Available on eBay as we speak!

MikeSullivanOvercoat.jpg

Which one of us will end up with this beauty?

-dixon cannon

Does anyone know who ended up with this beauty? Old thread, I know, but I'm trying to build a repo of this coat, and am need of some reference photos (besides the stock press release versions)....:)
Rob

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one, and this isn't too :eek:fftopic: .

Does anyone know which coat Kevin Costnar wears in "The Untouchables"? It's a grey trench coat with only a half belt at the back. I like this as it's vaguely similar to the one in my avatar (though that one is not DB) but more appropriate when it's not deepest winter. Where does one get these coats from, as I would prefer a half belt or no belt to a proper belt, as I already have a belted trench coat.

DonnieD

New in Town
Mr. Rover said:
Picture5984.jpg

Feraud, myself, and Mudinyereye after lunch at Asia de Cuba back in January
My coat happens to be an early 40s WWII overcoat- and it is HEAVY.

Wow, I love the overcoat in the middle. Now I'm kicking myself for ordering my first overcoat from Men's Wearhouse instead of hitting the consignment stores and eBay.

CaptainB

Familiar Face
This is my 'new' coat. I purchased it from a friend who got it from relatives who got it from someone who was a pastor or a pastor's friend...or something :) I don't know it's exact age but it is rather old - the narrow cut, small armholes and the backward positioned shoulder seams. Maybe someone would be willing to shed some light on this if I'd post some more detailed photos?

I should add that it's not completely true that this is my coat, at least not until my friend got the approval from his relatives that I can have it - which I hope will be the case very soon, as I already fell in love with it :eek:

mantel01s.JPG

mantel03s.JPG

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
I love all of your overcoats! Absolutely devastating.

Here's my winter coat:

CC4.jpg

Spring/Summer seems like an odd time to find the perfect winter coat, but I fell hard for this gem. The coat and large brooch were an early birthday present from my beau (Mr. Anonymous Face ;)), purchased at Hubba Hubba in Burbank, photos taken at Cicada Club. The gorgeous vintage auto belongs to a friend, who just might be the most dapper man alive today.

Shoes are modern, dress is '80s, necklace is vintage (Special Forces crossed arrows with a ship's wheel).

My best guess for the era of the coat is 1950s.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Marcus said:
Scored this Foreman & Clark Overcoat from the classifieds section. Apologies if this has shown up in this thread before. The computer I'm on doesn't see anything hosted on photobucket.

snip

I hope it fits well. It's a superb overcoat.

Will you have to let down the sleeves? They were waaaay too short for me.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What ravishing overcoats! I had not seen this thread before. I have at least three of vintage interest and I'll post soon.

Always good to remember: high summer is a fine time to buy vintage overcoats, especially from the smaller antique/vintage/thrift stores since they need the space for more summery items and want to blow out their overcoats.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
Always good to remember: high summer is a fine time to buy vintage overcoats, especially from the smaller antique/vintage/thrift stores since they need the space for more summery items and want to blow out their overcoats.

I agree. I get most of my best deals down here in Florida during the summer months....the folks at the stores think I'm nuts, but I buy them anyway!:D
Rob

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I saw Buckaroo Banzai on the big screen last night, I thought this was a great overcoat, very vintage-styled, with the patch pockets, turned back cuffs. Very similar to the Road To Perdition one.
BB05.jpg

murena

One of the Regulars
your German coat is from around 70-90´s. it´s a NVA coat. how much did you pay for it?

regards murena

Chrome said:
Here is my German coat...

IMG_2542-1.jpg

And here is my black civilian model, my lightning and camera cheats the color.

IMG_2547.jpg

I just love Peaked lapels
IMG_2546copy.jpg

And yes, first jacket is east german model.

murena

One of the Regulars
i can only say something to this swiss one when you have a picture from the front.

murena

Dinerman said:
The swiss one came in today. It's very thick, and very heavy.
The only other one I've been able to find online in this pattern said it was WWI, but it doesn't feel that old to me. Any experts out there who could shed some light?

IMG_4337.jpg
IMG_4352.jpg

It has a raw edge at the bottom, but finished corners, with buttonholes in the corners, same size as the front button holes. The back buttons up (shown unbuttoned) to above the waist.
10 button double breasted front. The coat does not have the lapels pressed down, it works best up , with the collar down, like I'm wearing it here, not like the auction photos show. The coat has wide cuffs, which are not stitched down, and are fully finished, so the sleeve length is adjustable.
IMG_4341.jpg

Collar up. Shows swiss buttons, made of metal, not the usual plastic ones.
IMG_4350.jpg

Metal throat latch
IMG_4348.jpg

collar stitching and construction
IMG_4349.jpg

The only markings on the coat

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
I saw Buckaroo Banzai on the big screen last night, I thought this was a great overcoat, very vintage-styled, with the patch pockets, turned back cuffs. Very similar to the Road To Perdition one.
BB05.jpg

Wow...that's uncanny...it's a nice one (Look how young John Lithgow is!).
Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot