Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Chrome

One of the Regulars
I think that here in Finland our lack of stuff resulted more militaristic styling of clothes. After war there were articles in the magazines how to convert uniforms to civilian clothing. We didn't have CC41 program for soldiers and when the war broke we didin't have enough uniforms :)

Fortunately those are grey since to me Olive green is the military color, to others could be other way around.

High Pockets

Practically Family
I snagged this Cashmere double breasted at a local thrift shop,.....does it look too big on me? It's a 44R and I wear a 42R jacket,....when I bought my last sports jacket, (not a thrift store), the man that ran the place told my that I needed a 44R overcoat,.....says he;
"You buy your overcoats 2 inches larger than your jackets,"

I ain't too sure......what do y'all think?

*edit* Crud!! I just now noticed I forgot to button the interior button,......it won't hang right if I don't forget that!

100_2521.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I think that looks right! Anyway, you wanna have some room under there for a suit so, ya know, it should work just ducky!

The button placement is a little low (typical of the 80s and 90s) but, if you know a good tailor, he can make a button hole above the top one and make it close higher if you'd wish.

Other then that it Looks sharp!

High Pockets

Practically Family
Forgotten Man said:
I think that looks right! Anyway, you wanna have some room under there for a suit so, ya know, it should work just ducky!

The button placement is a little low (typical of the 80s and 90s) but, if you know a good tailor, he can make a button hole above the top one and make it close higher if you'd wish.

Other then that it Looks sharp!

Thanks,.....that's all I wanted to hear! I had a pair of scissors and black thread in my hand the other night!
I was going to add another button hole which would allow me to use that next button up in order to close up the chest a bit more. I could easily relocate all buttons neccesary adding one more interior button directly across from the new exterior button hole for the correct drape.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Looks pretty darn good to me. Maybe a little long in the body but that's something a tailor could change.

Nice find.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
High Pockets said:
Thanks,.....that's all I wanted to hear! I had a pair of scissors and black thread in my hand the other night!
I was going to add another button hole which would allow me to use that next button up in order to close up the chest a bit more. I could easily relocate all buttons neccesary adding one more interior button directly across from the new exterior button hole for the correct drape.

Ah, you really only need one inner button... Most double breasted top coats I've seen only have one or none at all!

Once you move the buttons around and make that new button hole, let's see some photos! ;)

High Pockets

Practically Family
High Pockets said:
I snagged this Cashmere double breasted at a local thrift shop,.....does it look too big on me? It's a 44R and I wear a 42R jacket,....when I bought my last sports jacket, (not a thrift store), the man that ran the place told my that I needed a 44R overcoat,.....says he;
"You buy your overcoats 2 inches larger than your jackets,"

I ain't too sure......what do y'all think?

*edit* Crud!! I just now noticed I forgot to button the interior button,......it won't hang right if I don't forget that!

100_2521.jpg

After adding another button hole and moving buttons.
I think I need to shorten the thing and raise the cuffs.

100_2534.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
High Pockets said:
After adding another button hole and moving buttons.
I think I need to shorten the thing and raise the cuffs.
I think it's perfect and you should stop now. You may be too handy.

Reminds me of my Donna Karan. I may have to make the same mod.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Alterations

I thought this was ok, but a few comments by members who have a more experienced eye caused me to realize it needed more work. :)

100_2534.jpg

So I'm hoping this is better. :)

100_2613-1.jpg

Thanks for the honest opinions, they were what I was looking for.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Luke 42 said:
1947 pattern french army greatcoat from 1969. Very warm and heavy material:)

CIMG5253.jpg

I've got exactly the same type of coat. Lovely and warm, and I found it for $15! I really need to get a better photo of it though.

522703345_Jb9gq-L.jpg

STW

Familiar Face
Looks great High Pockets. From your first photo I would have said the body can be taken in a little by a tailor, but I wouldn't want the sleeves any shorter--for an overcoat they were perfect. But cuff length feels like a pretty personal thing, and they must have bugged you where they were, so I get it.

Sometimes I haven't worn something because it didn't feel right, even when objectively it was right. Sometimes you have to make the change that'll let you wear the thing. That probably goes for shortening the overall length too. Since many on FL are hoping to find a very long overcoat like your was, it may surprise people for you to shorten it. But if that's what it takes for you to feel right in it and be able to wear it, then it makes sense.

Being on FL for a little while, I have begun to feel a little leery of altering vintage things that others would want to keep as is. It's an easy call with your thrift shop find dated to the 80s/90s where there is little value lost by altering it, and the only value you have to consider is whether it works for you. Glad you did what you did to make the coat work for you.

That's true all the time, of course in absolute terms--that the only important value is the value to the owner. But I wouldn't be willing to make changes to something rare or valuable, or important is some small way, just to make it fit me better. For example, I followed those two WWI era navy coats Marc C. sold on ebay recently. Rare enough and worth saving, I hope no one is re-hemming those or raising the cuffs. Or at least that anything done to them is fully reversible (doubtful). Since joining FL, I've reconsidered some changes I was going to make in stuff that I don't use, realizing in a few cases that those are items worth keeping as is, and selling along to someone they fit and will value them rather than making changes that may or may not result in me using them, but will certainly reduce their value to others.

A tiny bit like paying out to acquire Sterling Moss's 300 SLR racing Benz then installing a new air tube and K&N filter 'cause it's cool, and maybe some mag wheels or a colorful racing seat so I can drive it more comfortably. :eusa_doh: Don't laugh, it happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk