Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I know this one is a bit of a mess and is in desperate need of a clean up (it's been hung up out of the way since about 1986) but I have a question:

The label says 'Alexandre of Oxford Street' and it has a Milium lining. I have always thought this was a 1950s coat (I know milium was popular at that time) but the Alexandre label looks earlier. Also, it belonged to my grandfather who worked in London during the 1930s but was unlikely to have been shopping in London later. Does anyone know when Alexandre was operating out of Oxford Street? I have seen later Alexandre labels , but they give a Savile Row address. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

milium2.jpg

miliumlabel.jpg

milium.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
One of my very few Savile Row items. An overcoat made by Rogers, John Jones Ltd (taken over by Dege & Sons in 1967). The coat is from 1976 but is still labelled to both firms.

dege2.jpg

dege1.jpg

degelabel.jpg

degelabel2.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1950 Navy Blue Polo Coat

Thrift store find for $19.99. The dry cleaning cost me almost as much as the coat.

Its dated Nov 24th, 1950:

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Wonderful coat, Josh! Klee Bros were a mainstay of the Six Corners shopping district, which was surpassed only by Loop in sales.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Wonderful coat, Josh! Klee Bros were a mainstay of the Six Corners shopping district, which was surpassed only by Loop in sales.

Thank you very much, A.C. Lyles!! And thanks for the info. I had no idea that Klee Bros were located in the Six Corners. Whats funny, is that in over 60 years this coat was found less than 2-3 miles away from the Six Corners. It was bought in Logan Square. Its 100% Cashmere and by far superior to any modern Cashmere coat that I have handled.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The quality of the make/fabric of your coat compares favoribly to Oxxford's current Emperors Cashmere coat. So I think you did pretty good.;)

Here's a photo of where it was purchased, albeit from an earlier time.

addon.php

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I just bought this overcoat (don't have it in my possession yet), and I'd be interested in hearing the general reaction to it here.

Here's part of what the seller wrote about it (hard as it was to resist, I've left her punctuation untouched).

This coat has no damage,,,that is what is amazing--wear to the cuff, non existing! the lining points to 30s...typical rayon black satin of that era....the edges are bound in satin binding--only the upper shoulder inside are lined, and the sleeves, lined with satin fabric for non binding in wear. The bottom inside edges are bound to prevent unravel of fabric..beautiful tailoring and construction--raglan sleeve style fits many shoulder shapes nicely...(my fave sleeve style for overcoats).​

She listed it as a 1930s coat -- would you guys agree? It's deep navy, she says, much darker than the pics suggest. And I'd be interested in hearing anything you guys might know about the maker and store it came from, Foreman and Clark (an LA-based department store chain, no? Was their stuff of decent quality?)

overcoat1.jpg
overcoat3.jpg
overcoat2.jpg
overcoat4.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It's hard to accurately read the shoulder line in those pics but it looks like there might be some hanger damage. Hope it's not the case. Raglan sleeves require just the right size/shape hanger.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Very nice coat...though you're going to sweep off the steps with that length. ;)

yorkshirechap

Familiar Face
1958 bespoke overcoat.

I saw this in a charity shop in the north of England and nearly walked out without it, so glad I didn't! It was made by a London tailor for a ship owner who wanted something extra warm. I've worn it and it is very wind resistant. I've had to do a fair amount of repair to the lining and will one day have it adjusted slightly to fit better but as it's on the large side that is not too critical

The cuff buttons are workable and there is a strap under the button hole to keep a flower in place.

Bespokeovercoat.jpg

Overcoatsleeve.jpg

Overcoatlabel.jpg

Overcoatbuttonhole.jpg

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points