Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Levallois

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Literally? It's a wool and cashmere overcoat whose cut and styling make it look just like a polo coat, only not made of camel hair. Long name, huh?

Marc - you're cracking me up - the longest name for a garment, ever.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
_1268175475384.jpg

_1268175485989.jpg

_1268175493745.jpg

_1268175504476.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I found this at the thrift shop. 1936 Union Label, so I suppose it's from between 1936 and 1939.

Single breasted, very heavy and thick. It feels like there may be some alpaca in it. Half lined, with lining backed with flannel. Fairly long coat, though it doesn't come across in the photos. I'm 6'2" and it goes a good 7" past my knee.

P1050205.jpg

Raglan Sleeves
P1050207.jpg

Half lined- bellows pockets
P1050204.jpg

ArmorKnit
P1050199.jpg

Club Clothes tailored for kennedy's
P1050200.jpg

P1050202.jpg

P1050174-1.jpg

Legion

New in Town
I've had this over coat for a couple of years, picked it up in a thrift shop. I knew it was military issue but I never knew what country or service.

P1050299.jpg

Well, with the help of a found Nato stock number and a fair bit of research, I know know that it is a British coldstream guards overcoat. Quite happy about that. ;)

s05848.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's an old one- yet another thrift shop find, rather similar to the last one.

Genuine Elysian British Fabric
P1060729.jpg

Fit Reform - by looking at google books, it seems the depression might have put them out of business. They were very active from the turn of the century through about '33.
P1060731.jpg

Raglan Shoulders
P1060734.jpg

Half Lined
P1060735.jpg

lapel and fabric detail
P1060736.jpg

Reinforcement buttons for buttons
P1060733.jpg

Excuse what I'm wearing- it got cold and started raining so I threw the coat over jeans and chucks, which it really doesn't go with.
P1060699.jpg

The back of the coat
P1060698.jpg

Annixter

Practically Family
First Camel Hair Overcoat

While driving home from the national military cemetery today, I felt the urge to drop in at my local Salvation Army. What would you know, I found what I've been looking for for months: a quality camel hair overcoat for $23! It is a Brooks Brothers double-breasted coat. It is a decent fit at the shoulders, chest, and arms, and it is in very nice condition. There are a few moth nibbles, but nothing I cannot fix by gluing in some fiber from the inside. The back belt fits too loosely, so I'll need to move the two buttons.

It is a long coat, coming down to about four inches above my shoe at the ankle. I tend to like longer overcoats, but I'm not sure what it will look like once I have a suit on. It will rise a little, but it may be too long. Nothing a tailor cannot alter.

That brings up a question for those overcoat connoisseurs out there: if a jacket fits a 36S in the shoulders, chest, and arms, isn't it likely that it was made to be ankle height? I find it odd that a person with 36S arms and shoulders would be much taller than I.

Any ideas on the vintage?

100_1360.jpg

100_1364.jpg

100_1363.jpg

100_1362.jpg

100_1361.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Annixter said:
While driving home from the national military cemetery today, I felt the urge to drop in at my local Salvation Army. What would you know, I found what I've been looking for for months: a quality camel hair overcoat for $23! It is a Brooks Brothers double-breasted coat. It is a decent fit at the shoulders, chest, and arms, and it is in very nice condition. There are a few moth nibbles, but nothing I cannot fix by gluing in some fiber from the inside. The back belt fits too loosely, so I'll need to move the two buttons.

It is a long coat, coming down to about four inches above my shoe at the ankle. I tend to like longer overcoats, but I'm not sure what it will look like once I have a suit on. It will rise a little, but it may be too long. Nothing a tailor cannot alter.

That brings up a question for those overcoat connoisseurs out there: if a jacket fits a 36S in the shoulders, chest, and arms, isn't it likely that it was made to be ankle height? I find it odd that a person with 36S arms and shoulders would be much taller than I.

Any ideas on the vintage?

100_1360.jpg

100_1364.jpg

100_1363.jpg

100_1362.jpg

100_1361.jpg

Annixter, not sure if you knew that this is a woman's overcoat. It buttons from right to left.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
This is a vintage overcoat that I got last winter. Its only about 25 years old, but fits great and is extreamly warm. I just took it out to get dry cleaned for the upcoming colder weather in about 2 months here in chicago. It reminded me that I never posted a pic.

DSC03153.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's yet another vintage overcoat score from the friendly local salvation army.You should see how many '50s and '60s ones there are all the time that I don't buy.

It's missing all but one of the buttons. You can see where the others were attached, though. No evidence that it had the two higher non-functional buttons, only the 2x4 at the bottom.
P1110221.jpg

Belted pleated back. Vent is a long pleat- no break or overlap. I think this is traditionally done on loden coats.
P1110222.jpg

Belt back detail.
P1110223.jpg

P1110218.jpg

Lapel button hole has string keeper on back if you were to put a flower in it.
P1110219.jpg

Steeply angled interior pocket. Halfway between standard pocket and gun pocket.
P1110224.jpg

Arrow finishing at top of pleat/vent in liner
P1110225.jpg

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok I need some help in dating two overcoats. I only have pictures of the first. The second arrived today. I hoped they would be 40s or 30s but then I was told overcoats where longer in this era. They look like brothers...both black,DB, flap pockets, almost same buttons but different lapels...oh and high armholes and a good waist. So maybe dating one of the would count for both.

Here is the first one. What do you think?
cropa3jldxptawnoywvsqdm.jpg

crophinten.jpg

caul

New in Town
jack henry overcoat

Hello!

I picked this coat up a thrift store for 12 dollars. No stains, tears, etc. I wish I new more about it. It originally (I'm guessing from the tag) came from Jack Henry on the Plaza in KC.

Brett

IMG_3733 by arcocelli, on Flickr

IMG_3732 by arcocelli, on Flickr

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points