Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
crazydaisy said:
And this is the navy db coat I first got for him, this was a lot cheaper, he likes it less (not because it was cheaper, but he felt that it looked somehow wrong at waist level and where the pockets are), I still think this one is nice too and fits him nicely.

Again, a perfect fit. That's the typical shape/style for a vintage overcoat, perhaps he just needs more time to get comfortable with it. Looks very sleek and elegant.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
thank you. these compliments mean a lot to me, especially coming from somebody like you (by that i mean someone so well dressed)!
i might not have such a bad eye for things after all!

Big_e

Practically Family
@Crazydaisy, the black one is nice but it does need a hat to really stand out. The ginger one is a good pick, the size is right on the money. It looks so good it can go with a hat or stand out on it's own. A great hat is always a good thing though.
Ernest

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Well done crazydaisy, you scored two great, well fitted coats for your man. You may have a career as a personal vintage shopper.;)

crazydaisy said:
But I will not get him anything else navy...
[bad] Don't you be hatin' on navy.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
lol Tomasso, you really made my day! Personal vintage shopper, wouldn't that be a dream ??...
As for navy, I'm far from hating it, but think that perhaps is not most flattering color on my man.

Big_E, I totally agree on the hat matter, I made that my next target, but will be a tough one to achieve and perhaps better suited to a fair type of shopping environment than on line, given my lack of confidence in the matter. I don't even buy hats for myself on line, let alone for others. There must be a start though...;)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Gabardine

4275284156_d938c39151_o.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250560038154#ht_4198wt_941

Feraud

Bartender
habberdasher said:
Are you making fun of the coat?
Not at all. I should have elaborated in my earlier comment.
Having seen this detail (and others) on random male and female garments made me realize that vintage details many of us like are not lost to history. They show up here and there on certain mass produced garments. The woman's overcoat I noticed is one example and the recent workshirts from The Gap, JCrew, Target, etc. are another.
The goal for some of us is to try to find the vintage details we like reproduced in modern garments. When I see chinstrap work shirts available from The Gap and the occasional perfectly shaped (imho) double breasted jacket that I have from RL, I know it can be affordably done.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I think that original one is so cool, but would be hard to pull off today on a male. I remember a friend of Forgotten Man was fortunate enough to win the coat, wish we could see pictures! (hint, hint :p )

Feraud

Bartender
Yes I see where too many vintage details can be hard to pull off.
I might get some grief walking into the office with that overcoat, fedora, and gold topped walking stick. ;)

mike

Call Me a Cab
mike said:
Not mine, but documenting it none the less...

Picture21.png

Picture22.png

Picture23.png

Picture24.png

Picture25.png

Picture26.png

Picture27.png

Picture28.png

I love this, even if it could belong to Wolverine!

As a whole, there is a lot going on. It would just take the right person to pull it off. I'm not surprised that elements of this could be referenced on a modern coat meant for women.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Plus, come to think of it, 99% of the time if there is a modern-made actionback center-pleated jacket, it's on a woman's jacket! :eusa_doh: I guess mainstream menswear designers think these sort of features are too flashy for the average dude. They're probably right. Le sigh...

Lokar

A-List Customer
I've only had one overcoat for so long, they (as with everything sartorial in Sweden) are hard to find, and when I do they're usually the wrong size, or damaged, or both. The one I had was a very modern lightweight cashmere blend thing I was given as a gift, weighed less than 2lbs and was okay, but not that warm.

Finally found a new one. Weighs just over 5lbs, fits pretty much perfectly, and is very warm (and, what with the cold weather we're all having, I really needed it!)

It seems quite modern, but it's pretty good quality, and very sturdy. The true colour is similar to the front photo, but less blue, more grey, and darker. It's the first double breasted coat I've ever owned to have a jigger button.

GWD

One Too Many
High Society Overcoat

I posted this somewhere quite awhile ago, but it's goes here. It's in pristine condition.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

IMG_0019edit_2.jpg

Moth repellant still works! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR