Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

CliffG

One of the Regulars
Orion made in Poland Overcoat by Stella Li Guido

Fresh from the bay, needs to be cleaned, and my wonderful wife has made a few minor repairs to torn pockets and a loose seam. I know this is not older than 1970 because it has the 3M Thinsulate emblem, it is made in Poland. When my wife was fixing a seam in the shell she had the inside lining pulled back and she said that she could tell it was hand made. It has the lining that is permanently attached to the shell and a zip in quilted lining.
It has one gun flap (I think that is what it is called, and I have no idea why it is called that) and the flaps over the shoulder like my duster has to shed water off.
The coat looks a lot nicer than it does in these pictures if I have my suite on under it so it hangs nicer.
I like it and would like to hear your open and candid comments.
CIMG0147.jpg

CIMG0146.jpg

CIMG0148.jpg

CIMG0151.jpg

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it looks bad-a$$ and that's not just because I'm a Polophile (my wife is Polish, our daughter is bilingual, I speak some Polish and I've been to Poland 4 times).

It's a nice coat.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Picked this up at the thrift shop today. I'm not used to seeing this herringbone fabric. It's missing two buttons on the front, the jigger button and the two buttons on the belt, but the originals should be fairly easy to match.

P1000546-1.jpg

P1000548-1.jpg

Giant flecked herringbone.
P1000518.jpg

The label's gone as well. No union tags.
P1000521.jpg

Half lined. Between lining and exterior is a layer of flannel.
P1000523.jpg

P1000515.jpg

carebear

Dinerman,

Don't take this the wrong way (read patronizing), but it's been interesting watching you, grow-up doesn't seem the right word, age/mature on the forum.

Gone from a "kid" (again wrong word) in the early pictures to a good-looking young man. Hair's much better now too. :D

Crap, I think I'm becoming aware of my own mortality. :eusa_doh:

Anyway, great coat. Your forum-related knowledge and ability to find deals remains amazing.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
carebear said:
Dinerman,
Don't take this the wrong way (read patronizing), but it's been interesting watching you, grow-up doesn't seem the right word, age/mature on the forum.
Gone from a "kid" (again wrong word) in the early pictures to a good-looking young man. Hair's much better now too. :D
Crap, I think I'm becoming aware of my own mortality. :eusa_doh:
Anyway, great coat. Your forum-related knowledge and ability to find deals remains amazing.

I know what you mean, and doesn't come across as patronizing at all. I've been here almost four years, and I've matured a lot in that time. Learned a lot too, and given some back, I hope.

As far as this particular coat goes, without any labels, how close can it be dated going by style alone? It's a pretty boxy cut.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nice goods.

I have a coat in this exact same tweed, made by Hickey Freeman in their Flight Coat model. It wears like steel.

P1000518.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Dinerman, yours is a wonderful overcoat! That cloth is a cross between Donegal tweed (those colored nubs!) and herringbone tweed. I'd say it's from the 1940s.

Thanks! I'm going to go try to find buttons for it tomorrow. Good stuff in the Halifax thrift shops.

CliffG

One of the Regulars
Dinerman, this place seems to have a very good selection of buttons, and any other notion a person could have, I believe they will ship world wide.
If you can not get your replacement buttons to mach you may be able to get a whole new set of buttons here, or replacements perhaps?

http://www.kleins.co.uk/
Cliff

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
wildliferocks said:
Wasnt the gentleman in the middle in the SATORALIST one year ??

Yes, at least once. That's our very own Mr. Rover, the same person you quoted. And one of the top 5 best dressed real men last year, according to Esquire.

Welcome to the FL!

AlanC

Great coats, DM. You always find great stuff, and have an excellent eye.

Tomasso said:
I have a coat in this exact same tweed, made by Hickey Freeman in their Flight Coat model. It wears like steel.

The Hickey Flight Coat is on my list of Must Have items. One of these days I'll get one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters