Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Excellent! Fully belted American overcoats (as opposed to trench coats) are rare!

Even better! I'm a big fan of the fully belted overcoats, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Was surprised I'd won it for so little!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
4173048173_7b2320bda6.jpg

Beautiful fabric. And on a pre-atomic fleck era overcoat, too!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Fully belted American overcoats (as opposed to trench coats) are rare!

What's the reasoning behind that? The belted overcoats weren't as popular in America or they didn't survive as well as their European counterparts?

I would assume the former, though I regularly see them in vintage American catalogs and fabric sample cases.

Hal

Practically Family
An early thread started by herringbonekid shows several fully-belted overcoats (he has called them "bullet-resistant"); they were popular in Britain from perhaps 1935 to 1955.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
It came, it came!

Wonderful overcoat. A little lighter weight than I was expecting but that's fine: medium weight wool material. Very flexible and drapey material.

Fits like a glove except for the arms which are about 1/2" short but easily fixed. I love the shape of the lapels, nice belly to them. Tagged as size 36 but fits my 38R frame fine.

Wore it for a short time today and it felt great.

Pardon the pic quality, it is so difficult to photograph.
001-11.jpg

Full length center gusset!
002-8.jpg

The gusset has this stitched line across it where the belt goes.
003-6.jpg

004-5.jpg

The only other tag, no union tag in sight. I'd say mid- to late 1930s on this one.
005-4.jpg

CliffG

One of the Regulars
Tartaglia Philadelphia

This was pulled from the bay, here are the pictures of it as it was posted, it arrived today, the material I believe is wool he inside has two lined pockets like in a blazer or sports coat. The only tag is the manufacturers label which reads Tartaglia Philadelphia and is hand stitched on.
Each of the out side pockets have flaps that cover the pocket and a loop made out of cord to button them closed. The back has two buckles/straps to adjust the waste.the belt on the front has two snaps that close it into position.
The patches on the sleeves appear to be machine sewn on.

shortcoat.jpg

shortcoatback.jpg

shortcoatbadge.jpg

shortcoatfront.jpg

shortcoatpatch.jpg

crazydaisy

Practically Family
I won this coat as yet another surprise for my husband, his Xmas gift to come late. Not long ago I got him a navy wool db coat that arrived somehow in less flawless condition that described - still fair for the money - but he wasn't totally convinced by the fit. I am still to post a pic with him in that one, as far as I can tell the fit is fine. He just needs a hat to balance the look.

But when I saw this one I fell in love. Yep, I'm that kind of girl to fall in love with various items of menswear :D . So I'm waiting for its arrival and praying for a good fit. And I hope is as good as the pics. While I spent on it a lot less than other people would be prepared to do for a nice coat, it was a lot for my tiny (actually non existent) budget. Will post pics.

BMJPPN5UNRSN.jpg

crazydaisy

Practically Family
By the way, it was described as vintage 40's / 50's Montague Burton Double Breasted Pure Wool Tan / Ginger Tweed Overcoat,top quality medium to heavy weight island tweed cloth ,full twill lining, original buttons, leather covered buckle with bar fastening, utility mark label.

I was just wondering about the dating of this. While I am still a newbie to vintage I seem to recall overcoats of this type linked to 30's designs rather than later. But then utility label places it between 1941 and 1952.

Big_e

Practically Family
Wore my 1960's Penny's charcoal grey overcoat and favorite Brixton cap today. I very rarely wear suits so I just wore it over jeans and windbreaker.
Ernest

Picture150.jpg

Hal

Practically Family
crazydaisy said:
...utility mark label...wondering about the dating of this...I seem to recall overcoats of this type linked to 30's designs rather than later. But then utility label places it between 1941 and 1952.
Overcoats like this were sold in the UK until the middle 1950s - great for weather like this current cold spell.
See Marc Chevalier's thread (not herringbonekid's, as I wrongly stated earlier in this thread) of 24th October 2006.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
It came, and fits I think rather nicely, was worried that it'd be too wide but seems ok. He loves it and the colour is great on him! My most expensive vintage buy so far, totally worth it.

Let me know what you think. Please ignore the urgent need for a haircut, and the lack of further vintage apparel in the rest of the outfit.

4254546504_cdd626374f.jpg

4254546510_06743c1bc2.jpg

4254546514_065d1fb566.jpg

4254546524_14cfa450e6.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
crazydaisy said:
It came, and fits I think rather nicely, was worried that it'd be too wide but seems ok. He loves it and the colour is great on him! My most expensive vintage buy so far, totally worth it.

Let me know what you think...

I love it. Perfect fit, too.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
And this is the navy db coat I first got for him, this was a lot cheaper, he likes it less (not because it was cheaper, but he felt that it looked somehow wrong at waist level and where the pockets are), I still think this one is nice too and fits him nicely.

We now need to broaden our horizons and set our ambitions on some fetching hats...:D
4253814061_dac3a7311b.jpg

4253814047_73a049396f.jpg

4254546542_4b1a212116.jpg

4254546534_12df4018fa.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda