Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Nick D said:
Here's a better picture of the coat I won that I posted a couple pages back.

DSC04502.jpg
Nice mustache! Do you use mustache wax like from Pinaud?

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
crazydaisy said:
I won this coat as yet another surprise for my husband
BMJPPN5UNRSN.jpg

I saw that auction on Ebay, I seem to remember it was out of my price range, I'm glad it went to a good home!
EDIT: I've got a similar one, in greyish blue with a reddy-brown window pane pattern.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
habberdasher said:
Nice mustache! Do you use mustache wax like from Pinaud?

I use Firehouse brand wax, which is beeswax based. Pinaud Clubman is water-soluable, so wouldn't hold up in British weather.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Lots of fantastic coats here. But I could need some help.
I like the RAF Great Coat a lot. The color, the cut - everything about it.
But where do I find one big enough (52" chest)???
Or a modern or vintage coat in a similar design.

Levallois

Practically Family
I just won this late last night - the photos are from the auction - the color is the darker blue. I've been wanting an older over coat for some time but they seem to go for alot, I got this one for less than alot, It's supposed to be 1940s - based on these superficial photos, is this about right in your estimation? Thanks for looking!

349143643_o.jpg

349144342_o.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Hey - that's the kind of coat I have been looking for!!!!!
What's it called, if I shall chase it - Polo Coat?
(I am a total novice on coats - so pardon me asking)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
Yes, it's called a polo coat. Named after the game, not the Ralph Lauren clothing line.

I think that technically a polo coat is made from camel hair (or more recently a wool/camel blend or camel colored wool). A coat in any other color or fabric would make it a coat in the polo style. OMG, I sound like one of those rules people.:eusa_doh:

50442992tommyhitchcockjay0.jpg

504429941939oo3.jpg

I've always fancied tweed polo coats.

521967646jx.jpg

523011707pl.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Tomasso said:
I think that technically a polo coat is made from camel hair (or more recently a wool/camel blend or camel colored wool).

Yeah, it's tricky. I have a vintage dark blue overcoat that says "Genuine Camel Hair" on the label inside. The coat has all of the other traditional 'polo coat' details, too. So ... I call it a polo coat, even though it's not tan-colored.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Tomasso said:
Here's an old Boyer piece on the polo coat.

Thanks for that. If Boyer is to be believed, then it seems that polo coats don't need to be tan-colored in order to be, well, polo coats.

"... the requirements of the genre are explicit and strict: an authentic polo coat is double-breasted, full-length, and full-cut camelhair cloth; it has patch pockets, set-in sleeves, cuffs, and a half-belt."

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I would call it a blue cashmere/wool polo coat; just as I would call the PoW's coat a brown tweed polo coat.

521967646jx.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21