Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Marc Chevalier, Oct 2, 2007.

1. habberdasher

habberdasher A-List Customer

Nice mustache! Do you use mustache wax like from Pinaud?

2. The baroness has a 40s camelhair overcoat with exactly this treatment on the front. There was once a suit - made in Glasgow in 1938 - in a London vintage shop with this feature linking the top and bottom pockets of the waistcoat.

bk

3. Methuselah

Methuselah One of the Regulars

I saw that auction on Ebay, I seem to remember it was out of my price range, I'm glad it went to a good home!
    EDIT: I've got a similar one, in greyish blue with a reddy-brown window pane pattern.

4. Nick D

Nick D Call Me a Cab

I use Firehouse brand wax, which is beeswax based. Pinaud Clubman is water-soluable, so wouldn't hold up in British weather.

5. habberdasher

habberdasher A-List Customer

That's pretty cool! I'd like a pencil mustache...

6. Spitfire

Spitfire I'll Lock Up

Lots of fantastic coats here. But I could need some help.
    I like the RAF Great Coat a lot. The color, the cut - everything about it.
    But where do I find one big enough (52" chest)???
    Or a modern or vintage coat in a similar design.

7. Levallois

Levallois Practically Family

I just won this late last night - the photos are from the auction - the color is the darker blue. I've been wanting an older over coat for some time but they seem to go for alot, I got this one for less than alot, It's supposed to be 1940s - based on these superficial photos, is this about right in your estimation? Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. .

Based on those photos above, it is indeed a polo coat from the 1940s or very early '50s. Congratulations! :eusa_clap

9. Spitfire

Spitfire I'll Lock Up

Hey - that's the kind of coat I have been looking for!!!!!
    What's it called, if I shall chase it - Polo Coat?
    (I am a total novice on coats - so pardon me asking)

10. mike

mike Call Me a Cab

Da'winna!

[​IMG]

11. Yes, it's called a polo coat. Named after the game, not the Ralph Lauren clothing line.

12. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

I think that technically a polo coat is made from camel hair (or more recently a wool/camel blend or camel colored wool). A coat in any other color or fabric would make it a coat in the polo style. OMG, I sound like one of those rules people.:eusa_doh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've always fancied tweed polo coats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Yeah, it's tricky. I have a vintage dark blue overcoat that says "Genuine Camel Hair" on the label inside. The coat has all of the other traditional 'polo coat' details, too. So ... I call it a polo coat, even though it's not tan-colored.

14. Tomasso

Here's an old Boyer piece on the polo coat.

15. Thanks for that. If Boyer is to be believed, then it seems that polo coats don't need to be tan-colored in order to be, well, polo coats.

"... the requirements of the genre are explicit and strict: an authentic polo coat is double-breasted, full-length, and full-cut camelhair cloth; it has patch pockets, set-in sleeves, cuffs, and a half-belt."

16. Levallois

Levallois Practically Family

Based on that definition, this is not a polo coat as it is made of wool and cashmere. So then, what is it?

[​IMG]

17. Literally? It's a wool and cashmere overcoat whose cut and styling make it look just like a polo coat, only not made of camel hair. Long name, huh?

18. Tomasso

I would call it a blue cashmere/wool polo coat; just as I would call the PoW's coat a brown tweed polo coat.

[​IMG]