Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Hi chaps I've just scored an overcoat 1930's -50's??? fairly similar to the one above, black, double breasted flapped pockets( but not patch) plain cuffs, half lined in a very heavy wool, the rear vent buttons to and it's very well made sadly no makers mark except for the hanging 'strap' any ideas???
I'll post pics asap too dark now.
2q9mhsj.jpg

2mdoqdl.jpg
23rwbja.jpg

3008kdk.jpg

I think the middle line is 'TAILORS & OUTFITTERS'

The top line could be 'L B or O something AND SON'
and again something under neath that I cant make out, it was found in Matlock so could be a local tailor but so far I've drawn a blank!

joeyorav

New in Town
Heres mine - the D&G one hubby bought me on sale in Dublin and the second one I bought myself this year from Oli (an online website) for £75 (around $150) - its a wool coat and very cosy!!

P1010180.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
November 19, 1917

This coat is immaculate. The only issues are that a button was replaced, and there are a few tiny nicks to the fabric. Other than that, there is nothing more to say in the negative spectrum. I do apologize for the horrible photo quality... I am limited to my phone until I buy more batteries.

20131218.jpg

20131219.jpg

20131220.jpg

20131221.jpg

20131217.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
October 6, 1927

This coat is in pristine condition. No issues at all. The collar is velvet, and the wool fabric is very textured.

Very nice, Justin. The textured wool fabric you're referring to is wool bouclé, I believe. Bouclé is the name for both the twisted and knotted yarn used to make the fabric, and for the fabric itself. I have only seen it on pre-WWII men's overcoats.
One of the overcoats posted by thunderw a few pages back is made of the same type of wool fabric.

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
and a few more;
zumsle.jpg

9ir1wy.jpg
1iof4k.jpg

2lm88qp.jpg
f093sx.jpg

1zd11j7.jpg

Condition generally is very good indeed, only two minute unobtrusive moth nips, two very slight bits to restitch and some very slight rubbing to leading/wear edges that should come back up with a good brush and dry clean, lining is very good heavy weight silk/satin?.
The photos make it looked washed out a bit but thats the rub with photographing black clothing in my experience it actually is very dark, it's also quite waisted in style and not at all boxy, any ideas as to age?

Boinciel

New in Town
Here's the (late 30s, maybe early 40s?) overcoat I showed off in the What Are You Wearing thread, laid flat. Wool (!!!) corduroy. There are no tags inside.

IMG_0333.JPG

Hideous levels of contrast to show detail. Medium-dark grey diagonal wool corduroy, brown bakelite buttons. There's absolutely no shaping whatsoever so that it can fit over however many layers you've got on underneath. No back vent or kick pleat either. Hand-stitched buttonholes. Yes, the lining actually is purple.

IMG_0334.JPG

The colours are closest to reality in this one. There's no chest pocket, the boutonnière hole is not cut, and there is no darting underneath the lapel.

IMG_0335.JPG

Close-up of sleeve detail. The faux buttonholes for the cuffs are sewn with a couple lines of regular stitching. The flaps on the pockets tuck in handily and easily.

IMG_0336.JPG

Rear of coat, showing the absolute lack of pleats, belts, vents, or adornment. The shoulder seams are slightly sloped backwards, not that you can tell from this image. The fabric is incredibly hardy and no matter how many times I sit on it a light brushing brings it back to its fullness.

IMG_0337.JPG

Tons of rows of stitching going back and forth on the underside of the lapel, and detail of the fabric. That's a red thread from one of my sweaters on the right, not a stain.

IMG_0338.JPG

The coat is fully lined, and comes with two scalloped, flapped internal pockets in addition to the diagonal watch pocket above the heart. The underarm wear guards need to be sewn back on; I did it once but it didn't hold well. One of the internal buttons is a different colour (but same exact dimensions) for some unknown reason.

IMG_0340.JPG

Detail of left-hand pockets and underarm guards. Mysterious stains on the outside of the watch pocket.

IMG_0341.JPG

I got this coat last spring, and mysteriously, there was an old bus ticket stowed inside the pocketwatch pocket. The kicker? It was for 25 yen. This coat went to Japan before coming back to Canada, but the full story is something I can't imagine. It probably wasn't made in Japan because of world events at the time, unless it was made for a tourist who visited before the war.

Boinciel

New in Town
I didn't purchase this one, but I found it in a shop in Japan when I was there this summer and was really tempted to buy it before logic told me not to buy an extremely heavy winter coat while travelling light. An extremely heavy winter coat in summer, no less.

crosscoat1.JPG

This was a weird one. It was made of an INCREDIBLY heavy melton wool, with a 3-button shawl collar configuration and extreme hacking pockets. Adding to that, the buttons had a hidden placket and the coat was ankle-length. All the linings felt like cotton to me.

crosscoat2.JPG

It had amazingly large square kimono sleeves attached to the body almost all the way down. What a freaky hybrid.

crosscoat3.JPG

The pocket linings were torn to shreds. This thing was either worn into the ground or heavily abused. Tons of hand stitching was everywhere.

crosscoat4.JPG

The last picture I could take before the batteries in my camera ran out. Vertical pockets!? It looks like there was also a diagonal watch pocket much like the coat I posted earlier, but it looks so much larger. Maybe it was to accommodate the larger pocket watches of the late 1800s?

I don't even know how old this thing is, but the range I estimated at the time was somewhere between 1890 and 1930. Pretty wide range, and I wish I'd gotten pictures of the back and under the collar, or better pictures of the lining.

There was another overcoat right next to it that looked of a similar vintage with a one-button collar and large capelet. Didn't get any pictures of that one, but a similar one showed up in Carnation during the early weeks, when it was set in the 1920s and '30s.

Those are both very unique. The top one (which you were skiing in) looks very warm and solid. A classic cut.
The Japanese one with kimono sleeves is very interesting looking.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

cchgn

One of the Regulars
I found this gem at a thrift store, it was tailored by Barron-Anderson for A.Vitullo, in Uttica(NY)......price? $10

Attachments

• Picture 477.jpg
    Picture 477.jpg
    975.1 KB · Views: 463
  • Picture 484.jpg
    Picture 484.jpg
    845.8 KB · Views: 461
  • Picture 480.jpg
    Picture 480.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 467

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Those are both very unique. The top one (which you were skiing in) looks very warm and solid. A classic cut.
The Japanese one with kimono sleeves is very interesting looking.
Yes, both are a bit quirky. I bet FLounge member LaMedicine could shed some light on the second coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails