Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I just got this at the thrift shop for a bit under 15 bucks. That place has some great stuff!
IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2901.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Great Coat!

OK, That does it! Dinerman, what does that shop have for a BIG Man? Anything around a 50 Reg. or XXL?

You should consider a career as a men's clothes finder! Seriously, you have a great eye and know what is vintage vs repro trash. It could be a part-time obsession...er..job.

I, for one, would be interested! :)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Yup, that was about a year ago, a particularly awkward shot.

This coat's incredibly heavy. I thought my '40s swiss one had heft, but it's got nothing on this.
The 1936 union tag dates it between '36 and '39, no?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
thunderw21 said:
Yes indeed. A very fine overcoat at a steal of a price.
Gotta love student discount day:D

Here it is next to my swiss coat. A lot higher button stance on the army one.
IMG_2913.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Excellent coats!

Is it better to wear an overcoat with the suit jacket buttoned or unbuttoned? When I put my greatcoat on, my jacket tends to bunch and twist across the shoulders, unbuttoning at least keeps it flat on my chest. The greatcoat isn't too small, there's plenty of room in the shoulders, chest, and arms, could it be a problem with wearing a '40s overcoat with a modern jacket? I didn't have the problem last winter, as I never wore the greatcoat with a suit, but I most likely will from this winter onwards.

Feraud

Bartender
Encounted a rather amazing black men's overcoat today at at thrift store. Dated 1912 with the owner's name and address on the inside pocket tailor's label. It felt like a snug 42. There is wear on the left cuff and a couple of moth bites out of the back of the body.
Such an amazing piece of sartorial history.
I am beginning to regret passing it up..

Feraud

Bartender
Yes, that is a bit steep. This place always does half off ticket prices. If I change my mind and am lucky enough to find it still there, I could get it for 25 in a week or so.
I wish I had my camera to snap photos. It is a cool looking overcoat.

ukali1066

Practically Family
Yep...she's checking you out dude :)

Here's my new French army 1947 wool Greatcoat....

Great unissued new condition, brass buttons, half lined in creme calico with French army stampings...
Very pleased with the cut of it....

1-4.jpg

Starius

Practically Family
That is a great greatcoat, Ukali. (And I really like the hat you wear with it too.)

It looks very similar in style to my 1955 Belgian great coat.

Starius-Jaxon-02.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
To continue a theme...

Posted these a while back. A 1940s British officer's greatcoat. The buttons have a sphinx and EGYPT on them. Only one small spot of moth damage, though I've had to resew several spots on lining seams, and repair some of the buttonholes. Other than that, outstanding condition. I wear this nearly every day in the winter. It fit well when I bought it a year ago, but it fits even better now I've lost some weight :) The cut on this is outstanding.

These pictures were taken straight out of the box when I got it, it doesn't have that crumpled look anymore.
DSC06096.jpg

DSC06098.jpg

DSC06101.jpg

Hal

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
Great coats :eusa_doh: for West Yorks weather.
Don't knock the weather when it enables - or even necessitates- the wearing of such a coat. It's much more difficult to be smart in the warmer seasons!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana