Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases....GUYS !

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The Shooman said:
GeorgMaternaBrogue1.jpg

That's a lot of brogueing!

draws

Practically Family
I have always wanted a vintage pocket watch and finally, with the help of my significan other and daughters, bought one. It is an 1892 Hampden pocket watch, 18 size, 15 jewels, gold filled hunting case, single sunk porcelain Private Label dial marked J H Booth Special. roman numerals, blue moon hands, lever set, full plate nickel movement, screw down gold jewel settings, micrometric regulator. The case and movement are perfect.

2558399150104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

2633860220104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

2805072400104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

2225991660104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

2809599480104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
draws said:
I have always wanted a vintage pocket watch and finally, with the help of my significan other and daughters, bought one. It is an 1892 Hampden pocket watch, 18 size, 15 jewels, gold filled hunting case, single sunk porcelain Private Label dial marked J H Booth Special. roman numerals, blue moon hands, lever set, full plate nickel movement, screw down gold jewel settings, micrometric regulator. The case and movement are perfect.
That's a beauty! :eusa_clap
You now need an equally nice watch chain to go with it.

donCarlos

Practically Family
I just brought home this jacket (and that ascot, my first ever), for a perfect price of 3 USD:

DSCF8202.jpg
DSCF8199.jpg

DSCF8193.jpg
DSCF8203.jpg

The jacket was made by OP Prostejov, it´s wool-polyesther blend, well cut, so I guess it can be from half 60´s. The lapels look very vintagey though. The only problem is that the jacket may look a bit short, but it´s my size and it looks that way only if buttoned, so...

One question - we all know that the last button shall be left undone, but what if the jacket has only one button? More generally, how common it is to see a jacket with only one button?

Lokar

A-List Customer
donCarlos said:
One question - we all know that the last button shall be left undone, but what if the jacket has only one button? More generally, how common it is to see a jacket with only one button?

As far as I am aware, the rules are:

1 button - do up
2 buttons - do the top up
3 buttons - do the middle up
4 buttons (rare except very old vintage + modern fashion) - do all four up

I personally have not seen many single button jackets except for dinner jackets, and that's what I associate them with.

MarkL

One of the Regulars
What a deal!

Wow....that coat for three bucks! What a great deal. And the ascot..it looks great on you, Don.

Mark

donCarlos said:
I just brought home this jacket (and that ascot, my first ever), for a perfect price of 3 USD:

DSCF8202.jpg
DSCF8199.jpg

DSCF8193.jpg
DSCF8203.jpg

The jacket was made by OP Prostejov, it´s wool-polyesther blend, well cut, so I guess it can be from half 60´s. The lapels look very vintagey though. The only problem is that the jacket may look a bit short, but it´s my size and it looks that way only if buttoned, so...

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
When our now 12-1/2yo son got his first blazer he was told the following

for wearing a three button blazer- starting from the bottom button and going up. Always (bottom button), sometimes (middle button) never (top button).

) one
Lokar said:
As far as I am aware, the rules are:

1 button - do up
2 buttons - do the top up
3 buttons - do the middle up
4 buttons (rare except very old vintage + modern fashion) - do all four up

I personally have not seen many single button jackets except for dinner jackets, and that's what I associate them with.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
chanteuseCarey said:
for wearing a three button blazer- starting from the bottom button and going up. Always (bottom button), sometimes (middle button) never (top button).

sooo wrong :(
just the middle - fine
top 2 - fine
all 3 - no
just the bottom - no
bottom 2 - no

donCarlos

Practically Family
BUT if the jacket´s lapels roll naturally further than the last button (I don´t know how to describe that even in my own language), then you don´t button the the top button. People do this very rarely, but it looks nice. I have recently bought a grey three-piece with 4 buttons that has this roll - I leave the top and the bottom ones undone and it looks quite good. But that´s a bit offtopic.

As we are discussing this stuff again, I have one more question -
That jacket is totally disproportionate. The sleeve length is perfect, the same as on all my other jackets, but it´s short! All my jackets are about 33,5 inch long, but this one is only 30,7!
It seems to me that it was meant to be that way, because as far as I know all measurments of a jacket are basicaly derived from the circumference of ones breast, so this situation may hypothetically never happen...

Do you think it was meant that way according to some strange fashion, or is it just too short and shall be put to rest?

MarkL Thank you! That´s my first real ascot ever, I think I´m gonna get more.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Feraud said:
donCarlos, that jacket is probably a short.
I didn´t think of that! But wouldn´t it mean that the sleeves shall be shorter too? That´s strange.

I´ve also seen two full suits in that shop today, both of them late 60´s, beatiful fabric (half poly, but who cares...) Both of them had the same problem - the pants are too short. All of these czechoslovakian suits have the size and price stamp inside the left breast pocket, one of those suits was apparently in my size, but the pants were about five inches too short. I´m starting a theory that only short and fat people with long arms wore suits here at those times...

Feraud

Bartender
donCarlos said:
I didn´t think of that! But wouldn´t it mean that the sleeves shall be shorter too? That´s strange.
I don't think so. The Short designation (as well as the Long) I believe refers to the body of the jacket. The sleeves can be any length and easily adjusted for your arm length.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
donCarlos said:
BUT if the jacket´s lapels roll naturally further than the last button (I don´t know how to describe that even in my own language), then you don´t button the the top button.

I didn't want to get to that point for what is probably a simple jacket. What I think you're describing is a 3/2 roll - a jacket with 3 buttons, but with a lapel that rolls to the second button. In that case, you're absolutely right, just button the middle one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner