Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Wow okay.... open mouth.... insert foot:eek: lol :eek:
My appologies Lady Stardust, I hope you won't mind my horrible slip.
It's a lovely dress, and if it looks that good on the model, it'll look fabulous on you!:)

And thanks for the comment on my av.:)

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
Thanks Grace:)

I'm sorry LadyStardust!! I wish we could start a thread listing the items we are planning on buying on ebay. Whoever lists them first is the one who gets to bid. That way we wouldn't be bidding against one another! But, I think such a list might interfere with the harmony of the Powder Room:(
I've seen that other bidder as well. She has bought some high priced items, and I was very surprised that I won this, for my max bid was only $1 more than what I won the dress for. You ladies are always talking about these dresses that you get for great low prices. Where are you finding them?? I won this dress for $44 and I thought that was a pretty good deal. It's only on the very rare occasions that I find something in the $30 range. I think at the next QM we should have a class on bargain hunting!!
Aw hah, don't be sorry, nothing to be done about paycheck differences. :) I wish I had pockets as deep as yours so I could afford dresses like the ones you get, but ah well. Everyone manages on their own. And I was going to mention that as the reason, why I, at least manage to scrape by a share of bargain dresses. What's that old saying "Necessity is the mother of invention"? :p But I don't know, I guess it's mainly luck of the draw. Just never know.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
I totally forgot that I bought this a few nights ago at the Port Halcyon store. I've never bought anything from them. Just dropped by to check out the issues of Atomic magazine that they were selling. They have some nice stuff, but it is all really over priced. I actually don't get this. They are a big site in the vintage community, they know what there things would sell for at other online vintage shoppes. I really didn't want to buy anything from them because of this, but I couldn't pass up this two piece knit outfit, it was just too pretty. I'm such a fool, I hope I don't regret it:eek:
VO555865-01.jpg

VO555865-03.jpg

VO555865-04.jpg

Love the knit dresses, Daisy!

As for Port Halcyon, I believe their store has connections with a New York shop. I know the girl who was helping with it works with a posh store there; the prices are supposed to be higher in that area (just like in CA). I'd say there are a number of online stores that sell clothing at very high prices compared to what others sell their wares for; I guess it’s just the name of the game.[huh]

Amy Jeanne, I adore Alice Faye and The Boswell Sisters. Great finds!

Kimberly

Practically Family
Daisy, all of your dresses are fabulous, but I absolutely adore the first one!! :eek:

Amy, those are fantastic. I have to get my record player fixed so I can start buying some albums myself.

On another note, the dress I won on Sunday was recived by me today. I have never had shipping that quickly. I left the seller excellent feedback because it was well deserved. :eusa_clap

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LadyStardust said:
Aw hah, don't be sorry, nothing to be done about paycheck differences. :) I wish I had pockets as deep as yours so I could afford dresses like the ones you get, but ah well. Everyone manages on their own. And I was going to mention that as the reason, why I, at least manage to scrape by a share of bargain dresses. What's that old saying "Necessity is the mother of invention"? :p But I don't know, I guess it's mainly luck of the draw. Just never know.

My pockets may be deep, but they certainly aren't stuffed with money!!:D I just lack a major component called self control:eek: Also, I used to be very frugal, save every penny. But then I got sick, I realized life is short and I never know when it'll be over. I decided from that point on that if I enjoyed something, I would try to do it. If I liked something I would try to get it. I know, this isn't the most responsible thing. But I spent years being cautious about everything. One day I woke up, my world was changed forever. I spent a lot of time worrying about something happening, and something did, and the worrying didn't do me any good. Again, not the most responsible thing, and one day I'll straighten out. But for now I'm taking advantage of the time I have, while I'm somewhat healthy again. Another major thing is I don't have kids yet. I probably should be saving my money for them, and I will start doing that soon. I just hope I do it before my pockets are completely empty. Or I'm gonna have to take the savings I have left to the Poker tables!!! Anyone wanna back me, I'm really good!!:D

Thanks for the compliments ladies:)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Daisy, fab finds as always. That yellow cardy is so sweet! Looks like that knit burgandy dress came from the seller Froufrou? I always enjoyed her auctions, but she hasn't had as much for sale as she did years ago. BTW, did you get pics of your edwardian dress, did I miss them?

I wouldn't worry about outbidding other friends. I think we all know that we would never intentionally step on anyone's toes. But it's first come, first serve, and who ever can and wants to bid the mostest. If I worried about everyone here, plus the other groups I'm in.. shoot, I'd never bid on anything at all then, ha! Afterall, we're all pretty much interested in the same things.

Goldwyn that rickrack frock is darling. Would be so fun to twirl in, eh?

Amy those records look great! I really need to get out and go flea marketing and yard saling. Hopefully this Sunday we'll go to the flea market~ sounds like a good Mother's Day for me, lol!

Here are my recent buys,
Had to have her to add to my doll collection, I have the yellow school outfit for her along with the straight wig,
hairshow046.jpg

This little yellow dress was at my local vintage shop. I've eyed it forever but she wanted $25 for it. I finally gave. It's a bit snug and I need to let out the hem, (yikes it's short!), but it should be good after I lose a few pounds. Pardon my undone hair, no slip, dark undies showing, ect. I was just trying it on real quick! Oh.. the belt was missing and I got lucky to find blanket binding ribbon that matches perfectly!
hairshow049.jpg

hairshow048.jpg

I broke down and bought these shoes.. which came today and they fit great but they are way to dark of a navy for my dress! WAHHHH!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110120386282&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=001

Here are the shoes I got at Charlotte Russe for only $23 total! The white ones are just like the tortoise and you can see them above with the yellow dress.
hairshow037.jpg

And a HUGE score one these babies! Ceiling medalions for my house for ONLY $5 each at Lowe's! Those big ones were regularly almost $40! Woohoo!
hairshow022.jpg

Nikki

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Oh Daisy, I'm not judging you, and you don't have to explain your reasons. :) I'm genuinely glad for you when you win these items, because I know you'll treasure them enormously, not to mention you'll give them wonderful new lives. :) And like I said, there's nothing to be done about outbidding, I'm sure we've all done it unconsciously.

Back on the actual purchasing front, the other two dresses you've gotten are wonderful, very beautiful. : And Nikki, I'm so in love with buttery yellows right now, and the dress you got showcases it so well, and it looks absolutely darling on you.

My poor excuse for going on a buying binge lately is I have leftover birthday money, and well...:) Here's the latest for me, was listed in Edwardian/teens, and it looks genuine,and the description of the materials and details meshes with that time period, so I'm hoping for the best. It'll definitely need a bit of work, trip to the cleaners, and possibly tailor/seamstress, but it doesn't seem too bad.
IMG_6650.jpg

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
Hi,
I see so many things that I like, the grey plaid suit, the yellow sweater, the yellow dresses, the knit set (from a great seller too) and I'm tempted to run down to my Lowes to see if they have any of those markdown medalions!

I got very lucky on ebay with these 2 pairs of shoes. I have a small foot at sz6, but my feet are very wide and flat, so I have a hard time squeezing into older shoes. But this seller listed very good meaurements, and I took a chance and won. I love the green pair, since green is my favorite color. I had bought a great green pair of 40s shoes on ebay several years ago, but they were too narrow. I held on to them for a few years before I resold them, because I couldn't bare to let them go. I'm so happy to have a pair to replace them, that actually fit me!

492475705_c81c22bdd9_o.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Gee thanks ladies!! *blush*You really think that is a good length on me?? [huh]
I just feel it's too tight and I look like I'm trying to wear a little girl's dress, ha! Perhaps with the proper slip I'll like it better?

Ladystardust that black dress is really nice. I hope you're happy with it when it comes as well.

Dandelion those shoes are great! I wish they'd make more repros so we wouldn't have to hunt so much for a good fit.

Nikki

Daisy Buchanan

Nikki, that dress looks great on you!! And what a deal on those cute shoes:eusa_clap Yes, I did get the burgundy outfit from FrouFrou. You're right. She used to have a lot of stuff. She has always had really great things, and very reasonable prices. I don't think I've ever seen her auction something that had a starting price higher than $9.99. She's also really fast with her shipping and leaves the sweetest feedback.
I also thought that I would just sneak in the seller Swingtime55 or Vintage Lucy. She gets incredible stuff in, is really sweet, ships really fast. She is pricier than other sellers, but if you're looking for something for a special occasion, check her out. I've bought a lot of things from her and they are all in Like New condition. Some things are worth the money, others aren't. But, she also has a great selection of outfits in mint condition that are in larger sizes. I know these can be difficult to find.

LadyStardust, Edwardian is my favorite era. I only wish I had more of an occasion to wear it. That is a lovely dress. It's really hard, at least for me and my size, to find an Edwardian dress that's suitable for day wear. You lucked out finding one, even if it does need a little work. Let us know how it is when you get it, it really is stunning (Daisy walks away with a tear in her eye, shaking fists because she got too chubby to fit into her Edwardian dresses:()

Dandelion, I love both of those shoes. You're so lucky to have found vintage shoes in good widths. I know what you go through. I have really flat feet, which means I need a wider shoe, and rheumatoid arthritis which makes my feet swell. So finding vintage shoes that fit can be tough. I think I'm just gonna put out the money for a couple of pairs from Re-mix... But, congrats on finding such great shoes. I really like the green ones too:)

Daisy Buchanan

I bid on this dress last night but the reserve wasn't met. The seller sent me a second chance offer this morning, and I couldn't pass it up. I've bought from this seller before and she is great, her stuff is always exactly as described and usually in excellent condition. I love the bead work on the jacket and the gathers and neckline of the dress. I figured on my more casual days I could wear the jacket with trousers, or even jeans for a more modern look. So, I know I'll get a lot of use out of it. Sorry for the big pictures, I resized them on my desktop but for some reason imageshack made them big again. Never had that happen before:eusa_doh:

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Ooooooooh Daisy, STUNNING dress. I love that seller's items so much, she gets such amazing stock, and quite alot of it, but her minimum prices are a bit over my head. lol The dress you got is an absolute knockout, it will look so pretty on you! :)

Daisy Buchanan

ohairas said:
And a HUGE score one these babies! Ceiling medalions for my house for ONLY $5 each at Lowe's! Those big ones were regularly almost $40! Woohoo!
hairshow022.jpg

Nikki

If you like ceiling medallions do a google search for "decorative foam" or "foam molding". It's incredible stuff! They make all sorts of things, like ceiling medallions, crown molding, columns, all from a very sturdy yet lightweight foam. It's really reasonably priced. You can do an entire average size room of crown molding for about $99. You can buy all sorts of pieces including the cut corners, and it's really easily installed, just tack it on with liquid nails. Once painted it looks like the real thing. I've been thinking about doing it for a while now, I just can't decide which molding to buy, they have so many different sizes and styles.

By the way that house in the pictures I posted is not my house:( I wish it was, it is really cool with that great fire pit!!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Ceiling medallions are a lifesaver. They can cover up fairly large holes in the ceiling after painful knob & tube wiring debacles. I know from personal experience after the Great Light Fixture Change of '06. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner