Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

satindoll

New in Town
I know this is a bit off topic, but can someone tell me how you all quote someone's previous post, including their image?

My apologies in advance if this is a dumb question. I just can't seem to figure it out:eek:

Thanks!

Josephine

One Too Many
satindoll said:
I know this is a bit off topic, but can someone tell me how you all quote someone's previous post, including their image?

My apologies in advance if this is a dumb question. I just can't seem to figure it out:eek:

Thanks!

If you look at a post, on the left is the name and avatar. On the right, at the bottom of the post, is a bluish button saying 'Quote'. Click on that and it will bring up a Reply window with the post you want in quote brackets.

To be honest, I try and take out the pictures and just quote the words unless the picture was small. :)

SarahLouise

Practically Family
satindoll said:
All the hats are so fabulous! I don't normally wear them, but they look so great I'm thinking I should get a couple.

My two most recent purchases that I'm very excited about, and can't wait to wear, is this adorable 40s peplum blouse and pair of 40s peeptoe slingback heels with cutouts on the vamp. They even have a little platform.
The big bow appliques on the blouse are just TDF, never mind the pink and aqua color combination. It's so darn cute, everytime I look at it, I can't help but smile!

blouse1.jpg

shoes3.jpg

The blouse was probably originally part of a skirt set, but I know I'll never find a skirt that matches that exact shade of aqua blue. Black will work, of course. Anyone have any good suggestions for other colors that would work too? What about a print, or would that be too much?

I absolutely love that blouse! It is stunning.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
lyburnum said:
How I wish English Charity Shops were as fruitful as American thrift stores :(

Where does a traveler find the English charity shops? I've been to England a couple times and never saw them. What type of things do you find?

VB

lyburnum

Practically Family
Well it varies. Mostly they're on the high-streets, and they're all over the place. They're very small in comparison to American thrift stores. Most charities now have websites for their stores, so you can locate them. What you get depends on the area you look in. In a particularly affluent area I found a gorgeous 1950s evening dress, however in less affluent areas I often find no clothes or jewelry, but more furniture.

http://www.faracharityshops.org
http://www.oxfam.org/
http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~glfb/shops.htm
http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConcern/charity_shops.asp

For a complete list:
http://www.britishcharities.com/shops.php

There's also specifically vintage charity shops, like retromania, run by Fara.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Betty said:
Where does a traveler find the English charity shops? I've been to England a couple times and never saw them. What type of things do you find?

VB

It might be that you saw them and didn't recognise them for what they are! There are 4 different charity shops in my small town, for instance. Shame they are all rubbish for anything good. :( Except books!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I get all my day to day clothes in charity shops! it's a rare, rare occurrence to find vintage stuff though.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
slow weekend

If I have extra $$$, I usually can't find anything to buy. This weekend was no exception.

I only found an acrylic sweater (it was free) that is missing the belt:
001-48e6bezp9.jpg

A vinyl bag that was $1.00--I think it is fairly new, it is marked only "Made in Hong Kong":
002-f8m8eexf.jpg

A newish silk sarong skirt that I bought for the fabric. It was fifty cents:
004-48e6cids6.jpg

The best find all weekend was a lot of 70+ pre-1930 photographs. I paid $6 for all of them:
003-48e6d3nib.jpg

satindoll

New in Town
Josephine said:
If you look at a post, on the left is the name and avatar. On the right, at the bottom of the post, is a bluish button saying 'Quote'. Click on that and it will bring up a Reply window with the post you want in quote brackets.

To be honest, I try and take out the pictures and just quote the words unless the picture was small. :)

Thanks so much! I knew it was going to be something simple that my feeble mind wasn't registering:eusa_doh:

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I went to Bath in the West Country this weekend to see a friend and got some nice red pigskin gloves to go with red shoes and handbag (pigskin is lovely and soft) and a hacking or riding jacket. It looks very English but is actually from Washington.

I got it cheap as it needs a good clean but it fits really well, so I was pleased!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
that aqua blouse is darling! You could wear it with khaki, maybe white or pink, if you could find something close to the bows. Because a pink skirt wouldn't be right next to the bows, the colors would have to match exactly.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Some recent eBay steals :p

abd0_1.JPG

One of these sweaters has tiny holes, but it was such a crazy deal I had to get them! I'm hoping it's not too bad...

dcab_1.JPG

d5e9_1.JPG

SarahLouise

Practically Family
lyburnum said:
What you get depends on the area you look in. In a particularly affluent area I found a gorgeous 1950s evening dress, however in less affluent areas I often find no clothes or jewelry, but more furniture.

Not necessarily. Charity shops are really just hit and miss and it takes a lot of rummaging to find decent stuff. I've found the prices differ vastly between different areas (for example, a skirt in East London might cost £2 as opposed to where I live it's sometimes £9) but the quality is still mainly the same, plus vintage is hard to come by in general I think. There's an RSPCA shop near me which I like because old ladies tend to hand in their stuff quite regularly so it's full of tea dresses, bags and some fantastic jewellery (particularly earrings). I don't come across a vast majority of vintage clothes in charity shops, certainly not as much as people tend to find in thrift stores in the US, but every now and then a gem will turn up!

Miss 1929

My fab new purse!!!

I have shoes that match already! Black suede with black kid pinstripes, yum. And for a change, the purse hardware isn't gold, thank God.

772f_1.JPG

zaika

One Too Many
killing the thread in three...two...one...

to console myself after seeing some really horrible pictures of me recently ::cries:: i spent some time on the 'Bay and got some neato stuff. behold!! retail therapy!!

t9a.jpg

HPIM0534a.jpg

a268_1.jpg

521c_1.jpg

all this for less than sixty bucks plus shipping...that makes me happy.

i really like the hat...a lot. but if it doesn't fit, i might put it up in the classifieds...maybe ask for a trade. :) supposedly it's made of fur felt...i like!! :D

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
creamhatwcrescentgordon2.jpg

I just won this hat. It was a buy it now auction but I am still thrilled. It has a few issues but I love it. I hope it looks good on me.

Zaika, Love the earrings, hat and glasses. I really, really love that hat.

Vintage Betty

Very nice! I'd love to see an interior picture and it on your head when it's received!

Vintage Betty

deadpandiva said:
creamhatwcrescentgordon2.jpg

I just won this hat. It was a buy it now auction but I am still thrilled. It has a few issues but I love it. I hope it looks good on me.

Zaika, Love the earrings, hat and glasses. I really, really love that hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters