Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

lyburnum

Practically Family
I bought this as my 'wedding' dress (the one I posted previously will be my 'going away outfit'). It's gorgeous in person, the photos didn't really do it justice. It has an amazing dropped back and it fits like it was made for me. When I get time I'll post some pictures of it on. The shape in the back is definitely what made me fall in love with it.

satinwed02sz4.jpg
satinwed5eb8.jpg

It needs drycleaning, some simple repairs (split seam) and to have the straps replaced (too fragile to hold the dress up anymore), but once it's done it'll be perfect.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
lyburnum said:
:eusa_clap Well done Lyburnum, all your searching really paid off, what a beautiful dress and the fabric looks like it's really good quality satin. What a lucky find!

Fleur - I'm so glad your dress turned up, you must have pictures taken of you looking your usual gorgeous, ultra glamourous self in it so that we can all be envious!;)

MissHannah - If you do figure out how to get those wave clips to work you must let me know. I still haven't got round to trying anything like that, looks like fun!

Pigeontoe- Didn't you just love the What Katie Did Boutique, it's one of my favourite haunts.

PS

A-List Customer
PigeonToe, you lucky girl, a trip to WKD! Thats a great treat. Enjoy the new bra.
lyburnum, your dress is breathtaking. I can't wait for the gorgeous photos of you in it!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
MissHannah said:
I just one 2 lots of wave clips on ebay:
49a9_1.jpg

8f77_1.jpg

I'll be back asking for instructions on how to use them when they arrive!

Just a note in advance... wave clips are meant to help "set" a wave... NOT create it. So you will have to first form the wave with your fingers and a comb and them put the clip into place to help set or hold it while it dries. :)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Lyburnum, that dress is simply divine. I cannot wait to see you in it, I'm sure the effect is ethereal!

I just had an ebay spree. (yippee!) Here are a few of the goodies...

A compact/carry all by Maxfactor with some powder still in it.
DSC01180.jpg

DSC01183.jpg

DSC01181.jpg

These "waved" combs were pretty neat, I have about 8 of them.
DSC01186.jpg

This really cool, bobby pin and clip holder, and it's magnetic!
DSC01227.jpg

I bought this lipstick holder a year ago in a thrift shop, and I found the matching tissue box and powder case on ebay :D
DSC01229.jpg

And I had to get these deco salt and pepper shakers...they match my red and white kitchen
DSC01223.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Ladies, please note that due to the recent fee increases on Ebay that aggressively target smaller sellers and unfairly change the feedback process, there is an organized boycott of Ebay taking place from yesterday, 2/18 through 2/25, with both buyers and sellers taking part.

Ebay numbers started dropping prior to the boycott, as soon as they announced the scheduled changes, and many vintage sellers are in the process of deciding which alternate site they would like to move their business to.

Before making any futher Ebay purchases, please visit this thread and decide whether or not you would like to take part.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
deadpandiva said:
103100991_tp.jpg

103101081_tp.jpg

I just won this.
This dress is amazing in person. It fits like it was made for me and gives me the hourglass figure I have always wanted. All this without foundation garments. I swear i wish I had one in every color. And it looks good from the back

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
They're not vintage or even retro-looking, but they are my first pair of shoes in something other than black in years and my first pair of white shoes EVER!
2276901069_5d3fb380a7.jpg

2277692172_ca00b353c7.jpg

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
deadpandiva said:
This dress is amazing in person. It fits like it was made for me and gives me the hourglass figure I have always wanted. All this without foundation garments. I swear i wish I had one in every color. And it looks good from the back

Threads magazine has an online article on copying existing clothing without taking the garment apart (and the demo is on a 1940's jacket). Maybe you CAN have one in every color :)

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00220.asp

Great buy, Kamikat! Congratulations on breaking the cycle of only black shoes!

D

Deleted member 3716

kamikat said:
They're not vintage or even retro-looking, but they are my first pair of shoes in something other than black in years and my first pair of white shoes EVER!

i dunno...i think they are quite marilyn, or jayne mansfield perhaps?

MissHannah

One Too Many
swingtimegal said:
Threads magazine has an online article on copying existing clothing without taking the garment apart (and the demo is on a 1940's jacket).

This is way beyond me personally but is it something that most seamstresses/tailors can do? I have an amazing pair of vintage trousers that are beyond repair that I desperately want copies of.

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
deadpandiva said:
I may try this. If I leave off the pleeting and bow on the skirt it's really just five or six pattern peices. not nearly as hard as that jacket.

It's certainly worth a try to get a dress you LOVE (the jacket is a scary project, isn't it?)
And when I used to sew Renaissance costumes, I did a low-grade version of this method (no pleats, tucks or anything fancy, I mean), so I know it's not beyond reach. And muslin is a beautiful thing :)

Hannah, I have been told that a good seamstress/tailor should be able to create a pattern from an existing garment. After all, if they can make patterns from scratch, it seems to me that copying a pair of pants would be within their skill set. And if they're too destroyed to wear anymore, they can always dismantle them and make the pattern that way. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy