Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Darhling, I am obsessed with day dresses latley. I forgot about this hat. I can't tell if it's 30's or 50's and it's hatrd to see with my dark hair.
IMAG0091_edited.jpg

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Darhling said:
^ have you ever posted your amazing hat collection?! And you make some hats yourself right? is it hard, what tools is required?

I have posted a few of them. Vintage Betty is the one with the fabulous hat collection though. Making hat's with a block is pretty easy but blocks can be expensive and you may need a varity of sizes and styles. I am saving up for a doll hat block that cost $275.00. Sewn fabric hats are pretty easy also you just need buckram or crinoline to stiffen them. Making hat's that require frames is hard for me and time consuming. I have only ever blocked two hats and made one frame thoug so I am not an expert.

Adele

One of the Regulars
I seriously love your dress, gingermore.

Latest purchase:
740.JPG

It's from the Edwardian era, and it's currently the oldest thing I own - unless you count the grammar book from 1912. I have to clean it, as it is a little dirty, but I'm not so certain on how to go about it.

The Shirt

Practically Family
DPD - Way too cute in that hat. This fall you are going to have to teach me how to wear them. We can brave the blustery winters downtown in our fabulous hats - setting the new(old) standard!

gingermore

Familiar Face
:eek:fftopic:
goldwyn girl said:
gingermore, beautiful, I love the hip detail. Are you in Sydney, where do you sing ?

goldwyn girl, I'm in Victoria. If you were thinking of coming to the Melbourne get-together on the weekend of August 30, I'm singing in Ballarat on both days of that weekend (it's about 75 mins drive from Melbourne).

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Girls, my Trashy Diva Dress came and I was very pleased with fabric and construction. Oh and the price! I've always wanted to buy a dress from there but the price and not knowing what I was gonna get for my money stopped me. I would definitely buy from again. Now I'm gonna have to look around for a bolero or shrug to make it a little different from everyone else. lol

2702428722_24d1b442f1.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Adele said:

Latest purchase:
740.JPG

It's from the Edwardian era, and it's currently the oldest thing I own - unless you count the grammar book from 1912. I have to clean it, as it is a little dirty, but I'm not so certain on how to go about it.
What a gorgeous early macrame bag!

If it is all fabric, with no metal anywhere (and it probably is all fabric) you can clean it with this same method I used for my white embroidered Spanish shawl:

Take a jar big enough to put the item in loosely
Fill halfway with warm water and a bunch of Ivory snow, shake to mix
Add the item, and add more water to cover if necessary, shake
Let it sit overnight
Rinse thoroughly and dry flat away from the sun

It works really well and doesn't stress embroidery, stitching etc.

Another one of my bits of cleaning info, I don't know why but my brain seems to remember every cleaning tip I ever read.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Ooh, wonderful! I'm thrilled to see this, because I once made a crochet bag from instructions c. 1915, and it turned out almost exactly like this. Rest assured that the maker of that bag did a lot of work. :)

Adele said:

Latest purchase:
740.JPG

Kim_B

Practically Family
I bought the following from Amazon this afternoon...they've been on my wishlist for at least a year, hoping some family members would get a hint, but alas I ended up buying a few for myself!

"Fifties Sourcebook: A Visual Guide to the Style of the Decade"
386d793509a02dc43c771110_L.jpg

"Highballs High Heels: A Girls Guide to the Art of Cocktails"
51JF1GP4T9L__SL500_BO2204203200_PIs.jpg

"1940's Christmas" (It's never too early for Christmas in my house!!)
61qgNdW75kL__SS500_.jpg

"Atomic Cocktails: Mixed Drinks for Modern Times"
51D03SB5EPL__SL500_BO2204203200_PIs.jpg

"Hostess with the Mostess: A Galaxy of Retro Recipes"
51CHF5TB0YL__SS500_.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am a bad, bad girl...

I shouldn't be shopping at all! As I have no job yet. But, with the Queen Mary coming up, I am putting together an outfit around a multicolor scarf I have (that has all the 1930s ocean liners on it), also a multicolor button and buckle set. I am making a white pique dress to wear it all with (the muslin is cut out!), and when I saw this purse, I had to Buy It Now...
98e5_1.JPG

Wish I had a pair of those multicolored 30s shoes to wear it with...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Miss 1929 said:
What a gorgeous early macrame bag!

If it is all fabric, with no metal anywhere (and it probably is all fabric) you can clean it with this same method I used for my white embroidered Spanish shawl:

Take a jar big enough to put the item in loosely
Fill halfway with warm water and a bunch of Ivory snow, shake to mix
Add the item, and add more water to cover if necessary, shake
Let it sit overnight
Rinse thoroughly and dry flat away from the sun

It works really well and doesn't stress embroidery, stitching etc.

Another one of my bits of cleaning info, I don't know why but my brain seems to remember every cleaning tip I ever read.

I use oxy clean on all my vintage laces and Edwardian whites and leave it to soak overnight. Rise it out thoroughly, and they usually come out a shade brighter. Of course, you'd need to remove the silk lining first.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
I shouldn't be shopping at all! As I have no job yet. But, with the Queen Mary coming up, I am putting together an outfit around a multicolor scarf I have (that has all the 1930s ocean liners on it), also a multicolor button and buckle set. I am making a white pique dress to wear it all with (the muslin is cut out!), and when I saw this purse, I had to Buy It Now...
98e5_1.JPG

Wish I had a pair of those multicolored 30s shoes to wear it with...

What a great outfit that will be, Miss 1929. The bag is lovely and the scarf sounds fab! Can't wait to see it all together.

And I feel your longing for multi-coloured shoes. I'd love some as well.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I'm way behind on my posts in this thread, so some of this stuff I actually got months ago.

4 bangles for $8. I'm pretty sure the black ones are all bakelite, although a couple of them only let off a slight scent when doing the rub test. The white one lets off no scent, but it could be as well.
bangles.jpg

Got this turquoise skirt awhile back. It's a 50s linen-look pencil skirt, although it's not so pencil on me anymore, unfortunately. The color is a very vibrant turquoise - unfortunately the photo just doesn't do it justice. Also got this great 50s shirt not too long ago. I'm absolutely in love with the color scheme! It has all of my favorites - baby blue, mint green, coral, pink...
pastelskirtop.jpg

pasteltopclose.jpg

Not vintage, but I love the pink pedal pushers! high waisted, side zip. Love em!
pinkpetalpushers.jpg

Got these jeans a couple days ago. Not vintage, but I love that the waist is higher. Also, the selvage in the cuffs has binding on it to make it stand out, which gives it a bit more of a vintage look.
cropjeans.jpg

I also got these vintage deadstock Wrangler jeans a couple days ago and I am totally in love with them. They're a tad big in the waist, but otherwise they fit me like a glove. I feel like a million bucks in them. I don't know when they date from, but they have a little stretch, so they can't be *that* old. They are a very, very dark blue - pic has been lightened a bit to show detail.
wranglerjeans.jpg

Picked up this knockout Izaac Mizrahi bikini at Target last week. The booty coverage is delightfully full for this type of suit, and the strap on the top is removable. Love the color scheme. This suit is still in Target stores and available in a variety of top and bottom styles. There's no photo of this on the Target website, so sorry, you'll have to deal with my modeling job.
bikini.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR