Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Actually, I liked it (I couldn't see it while at work.) I'm starting to really like western-style clothing--I have a 1940s Lili Ann suit from Goldwater's (a no longer in business Phoenix store) with a lot of western detailing.

Vanessa

One Too Many
From a couple weeks back (but no more ebay for me for awhile - I swear!).

40sgown1.JPG

40sgown2.JPG

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Ooh, that is a LOVELY dress Vanessa!

I recently bought these:

42_1.JPG

4c_1.JPG

The red dress hasn't arrived yet, but this one came yesterday and fits like a glove:

76_1.JPG

bb_1.JPG

The blue one is in perfect condition...I'm hoping the red is in good shape too -- I needed some day dresses pretty badly! Ebay diet for me now, too.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RedShoesGirl said:
great new dresses and train case! nobody liked my new pink shirt. :(

oh well, i LOVE it! :)

rsg
Actually RedShoes, I said I liked it, the post is on the previous page to this one. But I'll say it again, it's cool. I dig the western look. We really don't find much of that style here on the east coast.

Vanessa that dress is really something. I'm sure it's going to look fantastic on you.

Daisy Buchanan

Queenie as always you find the cutest things! I really like both of those dresses. Still on my hungt of the perfect day dress. I seem to be finding lots of cocktail dresses in my "new" size, but no day dresses that really say "wow". You've got some luck on your side! They are super cute.

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
Actually RedShoes, I said I liked it, the post is on the previous page to this one. But I'll say it again, it's cool. I dig the western look. We really don't find much of that style here on the east coast..

thanks daisy! guess i didn't see it. this shirt reminds me of an old film that had ladies at a dude ranch in reno getting a divorce - was it the "women"?

that feeling anyway,

rsg

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
RedShoesGirl said:
thanks daisy! guess i didn't see it. this shirt reminds me of an old film that had ladies at a dude ranch in reno getting a divorce - was it the "women"?

that feeling anyway,

rsg
You're right, it was The Women, a great movie.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Donna Stewart said:
Here's my latest purchase, a gold leather clutch bag with black acetate lining. I'm so new to this that I couldn't begin to date it, I just saw it and knew I had to have it. It's a little loved and scuffed, but frankly I like them better that way. :D

goldjc1.jpg

Hi Donna. Without seeing it in detail, I'd guess at 50s myself, possibly early 60s. Lovely.
And Cherry Red - I'm so glad you got those shoes. I saw them the day they came up, and if they'd been a quarter inch bigger....
And in general to All - As always the FL ladies have taste surpassed by none!

MissQueenie said:
Ooh, that is a LOVELY dress Vanessa!

I recently bought these:

42_1.JPG

4c_1.JPG

The red dress hasn't arrived yet, but this one came yesterday and fits like a glove:

76_1.JPG

bb_1.JPG

The blue one is in perfect condition...I'm hoping the red is in good shape too -- I needed some day dresses pretty badly! Ebay diet for me now, too.
I love those dresses Miss Q.
My most recent dress I got is a bit small, but I'm not through dieting. I am determined to get into it.
It's such a good feeling when something fits!!

magneto

Practically Family
Saving money? What's that?

I recently won this (40s beaded suit, the beading is all intact):
C7ED1A4C-87E5-4173-8248-8F7405799CC5.jpg

I only lowball-bid on it as a whim, I really needed a "business" suit and earlier had missed the auction of the suit I originally wanted.
Whoops, I was the only bidder on the beaded one!

Then of course seller #1 relisted the suit I missed bidding on (it's just a boring black early 50s number) so... er, I have 2 suits en route :eek:

Caledonia

Practically Family
Magneto, that is almost exacty like a suit my mother-in-law bought from a charity shop a couple of months ago - colour, beading, length. Any details on yours? I have mine at anything from late 40s/early 50-s to :eek: 70s/80s. What makes yours 40s? Maybe I can compare and get mine closer to a date! Mine is unlined skirt, lined and reinforced at the waist jacket.

magneto

Practically Family
Caledonia said:
Magneto, that is almost exacty like a suit my mother-in-law bought from a charity shop a couple of months ago - colour, beading, length. Any details on yours? I have mine at anything from late 40s/early 50-s to :eek: 70s/80s. What makes yours 40s? Maybe I can compare and get mine closer to a date! Mine is unlined skirt, lined and reinforced at the waist jacket.

Hi Caledonia (I feel like I'm invoking the spirit of Scotland!)

I haven't received the suit yet, but the seller had closeup pictures of the garment showing tags which are definately pre-70s/80s. Late 40s jackets seem to have a more defined waist, a more natural shoulder, and often padding around the hips (I have some late 40s magazines and all the ladies suits shown in ads all fit this discription), hence the silhouette of this jacket make it look "transitional" to me (i.e. between the familiar wartime shape and late 40s).

I'll report more when I get it, but for yours... How heavy is the wool? Does it have any tags at all? Is there a metal zip in the skirt? I suppose you could snip a thread out of the seam and do a "burn test" to see if it is cotton rather than polyester thread... (cotton will burn to ash, polyester will form a melted bead.)
(The above is based on my personal knowledge or lack thereof and any corrections gratefully appreciated.)

Daisy Buchanan

Magneto, that suit is magnificent, really great looking.

DogHouse, I recently saw a purse similar to the one you have won. It was the same material with a giant lizard head that had emerald looking stone for eyes and red stones for nostrils. I really like bags that are different looking like that one. I really like the dress too. Is that what is called a "cheongsam" dress? I don't have any like that, but have always wanted one. Congrats on the great purchases, and again welcome to The Lounge.

doghouse

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
DogHouse, I recently saw a purse similar to the one you have won. It was the same material with a giant lizard head that had emerald looking stone for eyes and red stones for nostrils. I really like bags that are different looking like that one. I really like the dress too. Is that what is called a "cheongsam" dress? I don't have any like that, but have always wanted one. Congrats on the great purchases, and again welcome to The Lounge.

Thanks! That's crazy about the purse. I'm not sure if the one I won will creep me out, or if I'll fall in love. My husband INSISTED I buy it, he thought it was the greatest thing ever.

As far as the dress.. Apparently it is a "cheongsam" dress. Here's what I found by googling:

"

The cheongsam is a female dress with distinctive Chinese features and enjoys a growing popularity in the international world of high fashion.
The name "cheongsam," meaning simply "long dress," entered the English vocabulary from the dialect of China's Guangdong Province (Cantonese). In other parts of the country including Beijing, however, it is known as "qipao", which has a history behind it.

When the early Manchu rulers came to China proper, they organized certain people, mainly Manchus, into "banners" (qi) and called them "banner people" (qiren), which then became loosely the name of all Manchus. The Manchu women wore normally a one-piece dress which, likewise, came to be called "qipao" or "banner dress." Although the 1911 Revolution toppled the rule of the Qing (Manchu) Dynasty, the female dress survived the political change and, with later improvements, has become the traditional dress for Chinese women.

Easy to slip on and comfortable to wear, the cheongsam fits well the female Chinese figure. Its neck is high, collar closed, and its sleeves may be either short, medium or full length, depending on season and taste. The dress is buttoned on the right side, with a loose chest, a fitting waist, and slits up from the sides, all of which combine to set off the beauty of the female shape.

The cheongsam is not too complicated to make. Nor does it call for too much material, for there are no accessories like belts, scarves, sashes or frills to go with it.

Another beauty of the cheongsam is that, made of different materials and to varying lengths, they can be worn either on casual or formal occasions. In either case, it creates an impression of simple and quiet charm, elegance and neatness. No wonder it is so much liked by women not only of China but of foreign countries as well. "
http://www.chinavista.com/experience/qipao/qipao.html

- Eva

Daisy Buchanan

Eva,
Thanks so much for all of the information on Cheongsam. I've always wondered about them, for they are a very different dress in comparison to the other styles of that era.
They really are beautiful. I have seen a few repros, I might just have to get one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred