Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Aurora

One of the Regulars
Love the dress Fleur

:eek:fftopic: Is persian lamb like fur or is it ok for a non-fur wearing person such as myself? This isn't a dig at anyone who wears fur etc, it is a genuine question as I am perplexed :eek:

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Aurora said:
Love the dress Fleur

:eek:fftopic: Is persian lamb like fur or is it ok for a non-fur wearing person such as myself? This isn't a dig at anyone who wears fur etc, it is a genuine question as I am perplexed :eek:

My understanding is that if it is real, it is indeed like wearing fur. I understand it to be a pelt, for lack of a better word, which would be treated/tanned animal skin with the hair attached.

Do correct me if I'm wrong on this one!!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I just won this dress on Ebay:

AMYsilkshirtwaist5.jpg

AMYsilkshirtwaist2.jpg

The pictures are pretty bad, but I think the dress will probably be nice!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are those umbrellas on that dress? They look maybe like hamburgers with my bad eyesight, but I think that would be silly...

And yes, Persian Lamb is a lamb skin. But I have seen a lot of fake Persian Lamb fabric over the years.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
Are those umbrellas on that dress? They look maybe like hamburgers with my bad eyesight, but I think that would be silly...

And yes, Persian Lamb is a lamb skin. But I have seen a lot of fake Persian Lamb fabric over the years.

Haha, yeah, they are umbrellas! Hamburgers would be cooler though!

mackenzie

Familiar Face
Aurora said:
Love the dress Fleur

I remember my mother explaining to me that persian lamb is the skin from aborted lambs, they take the lamb out before it is born to keep the tight curl. I don't know if this is true but she always told me this story when I was admiring her persian lamb coat.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
mackenzie said:
I remember my mother explaining to me that persian lamb is the skin from aborted lambs, they take the lamb out before it is born to keep the tight curl. I don't know if this is true but she always told me this story when I was admiring her persian lamb coat.

WOW :eek: :eek:

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Knitting woes=Ebay buying

I love to knit, however, my RSI has made it very painful over the past couple of years. Now that I'm pregnant with my first child--a girl--my desire to swaddle her in homemade knitted items is strong. Enter any vintage loving gal's savior--Ebay and voila lovely handknit items for babies. Such as this gorgeous frilly pink one:

vintpinkbsweater.jpg

And look at this one:

vintwhitebsweater.jpg

As a knitter, I appreciate every stitch that some mom/grandma/auntie to be or beloved family friend put into the garment and I want those garments to live and be loved and cherished as much as they did.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
mackenzie said:

Yes, that is right, so Fleur, I think you won't want to wear it if you are a non - fur wearer.

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss Dottie said:
I love to knit, however, my RSI has made it very painful over the past couple of years. Now that I'm pregnant with my first child--a girl--my desire to swaddle her in homemade knitted items is strong. Enter any vintage loving gal's savior--Ebay and voila lovely handknit items for babies. Such as this gorgeous frilly pink one:

vintpinkbsweater.jpg

And look at this one:

vintwhitebsweater.jpg

As a knitter, I appreciate every stitch that some mom/grandma/auntie to be or beloved family friend put into the garment and I want those garments to live and be loved and cherished as much as they did.
Aww, so cute! (And congratulations on your daughter! How exciting! :eusa_clap )

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I went to The Button Store in West Hollywood with a friend of mine today, and I spend all the time looking at the cards of vintage buttons the lady had in the display cases. MMmmmm:rolleyes:

I bought one button, bakelite inlay from 20s Italy. I thought it was so unusual! Id never seen bakelite inlay with bakelite. She said they had to be done by hand.

I love it and gotta think about what Im gonna use it for. Its my most expensive button.

IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg

Its about 1 1/8" x 7/8"

also that lot of buttons from Canada came. Man oh man, there are over 300+ buttons in there. Not bad for $9.

Here is a highlight.

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg
IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0122.jpg

There are dozens of matching sets, a lot of plain buttons for blouses and dresses and such. I now need a larger button box. I think I have an addiction ;)

Most of them can be seen here.

LD

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mackenzie said:

Online definition:

Each year, approximately 4,000,000 baby Karakul lambs are killed within a day or two of their birth to make Persian lamb fur coats and trim.

Source

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, by the length of the fur on that jacket it's not the aborted foetus stuff (which is less plush and more like a velvet or mole skin). It is from baby lambs though, I'm afraid. Not sure if killing a baby lamb is more or less ethical than a foetus, but it's certainly less squicky. (In my humble opinion)

I'm afraid I'm not a vegetarian and am one of those people who feel that if it's been dead longer than I'm alive, I don't mind wearing it. Sorry guys.

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
I went to The Button Store in West Hollywood with a friend of mine today, and I spend all the time looking at the cards of vintage buttons the lady had in the display cases. MMmmmm:rolleyes:

I bought one button, bakelite inlay from 20s Italy. I thought it was so unusual! Id never seen bakelite inlay with bakelite. She said they had to be done by hand.

I love it and gotta think about what Im gonna use it for. Its my most expensive button.

LD

Wow what a haul. The last vintage buttons I bought to make over a beautiful jacket cost me $70!! The jacket I picked up for $4, but it was still so worth it. They make all the difference to its appeal.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Miss Dottie said:

vintpinkbsweater.jpg

And look at this one:

vintwhitebsweater.jpg

Congrats on the pregnancy! I have recently purchased some vintage Lux knittig magazines and they have really cute baby patterns in them. I can scan some of them if you are interested.

Cricket

Practically Family
Miss Dottie said:

vintpinkbsweater.jpg

And look at this one:

vintwhitebsweater.jpg

Congrats on the baby girl! I just love babies!
My baby boy has a knit sweater that he wears when there is a chill in the air that looks so cute on him. I think there is just something about holding a baby with a soft knit sweater on. It kind of takes you away for a moment. Plus hand me downs are so special for those extra memories!

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Miss Dottie said:

vintpinkbsweater.jpg

And look at this one:

vintwhitebsweater.jpg

Indeed, some serious congratulations are in order. Yay for stylish vintage mamas! As for the beautiful hand knits, I had lots of these pretties for my daughters too. It is so important to remember to hand wash and care for them well, which can be hard when you just want to throw everything in the machine. My sister in law had matching sets made for her girls and of course took the lazy way out washing them in the machine, and they quickly became discoloured and ruined. :(
If you happen to have one of those super fancy new machines, you might be okay if washed on the right cycle in a wash bag. But of course, being a vintage lover, I'm sure you are all too aware of the care requirements. There is something so much more special about dressing your children in something made with love than the latest KMart special, although they have their place too!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy