Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
AllaboutEve said:
At last a hat that fulfills my Celia Johnson fantasy turned up!

DSCF1796-2.jpg

Had to stick a heart in the background to cover up my saucy Elvgren poster !!

WOW! What a stunner! I love hats. :D

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yay!! New vintage evening gown for only $29 with free shipping :D
I think it needs a full length blue slip and a big blue bow for my hair.
9002_1.JPG
95b3_1.JPG

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lauren said:
Yay!! New vintage evening gown for only $29 with free shipping :D
I think it needs a full length blue slip and a big blue bow for my hair.
9002_1.JPG
95b3_1.JPG

I have a slip for you!
I will send it with the belt, hopefully I will go to the PO today.

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Here are some things I got recently:

From Etsy:
1950's Secretary dress----should I wear a belt with this?
il_430xN.37388891.jpg

Another fun dress from the 50's from Etsy, thinking of shortening it or wearing a crinoline? What do you think?
il_430xN.47523647.jpg

And this Bettie Page dress, which is a tad too long, so taking it to my tailor! Click on link, pick not showing up for some reason!

index.bvi

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
vampygirl13 said:
Here are some things I got recently:

From Etsy:
1950's Secretary dress----should I wear a belt with this?
il_430xN.37388891.jpg

Another fun dress from the 50's from Etsy, thinking of shortening it or wearing a crinoline? What do you think?
il_430xN.47523647.jpg

And this Bettie Page dress, which is a tad too long, so taking it to my tailor! Click on link, pick not showing up for some reason!

index.bvi
I think wearing a belt with the first one would ruin its lines. If it's too big, take it in and make it fit, it will be sexy. As it is, the vertical rows of buttons are slimming. Putting a belt on will make the buttons visually become two squares, not flattering.

I can't really tell what is going on with the second one, how long is it? Floor length? I also wouldn't shorten it unless it's a really impractical length - nothing worse than finding a great vintage dress that someone cut 6 inches off of. And it doesn't look 50s to me, it looks 30s by the collar, but 40s by the sleeves. Is it huge? It seems to be very gathered in by the sash. I found a swell dress the other day like that, but once I got it home and tried it on I discovered it is a maternity dress (all the fullness was on the front side) so I gave it to a pregnant friend...

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Sara-

The first dress fits perfect and it handmade---just has belt loops. I'm not planning on a belt right now.

The 2nd dress is also handmade---it's just long on me because I'm only 5'3". I was thinking of putting a crinoline underneath or just taking up just past my knees.

Thanks for the advice and keep it coming!

Smuterella

One Too Many
I adore that second dress, if you do take it up at all - I'd say to keep it on the long side, or at least do it by keeping the fabric folded in hem so you could alter it back later.

I have a couple of dresses from the early 40's that are pretty long length and I'm 5'6'' so I'm not too tiny.

I always think its a shame to alter vintage items too much. Perhaps you can show us photos of you wearing them.

i love an action shot :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace