Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

thedanu

Familiar Face
Nothing too special, but today I finally bought myself this book:

51nolxXwVHL._SS500_.jpg

I have a friend who is a wizard with vintage hairstyles, and she recommended it a long time ago already... :)

Lusty Haze

New in Town
Went to a lady's house yesterday (I met her at a carboot sale as she was selling some of her mum's furs) and spent £210 on 7 pairs of 40's shoes, jewellery, gloves, perfume, compacts, furs and magazines!! I couldn't stop grinning all the way home. I'm also buying from her a 50's cocktail cabinet, which I'm going to pick up next week!

I'll have to take some photos of my gorgeous new things!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Nothing too special, but today I finally bought myself this book:

51nolxXwVHL._SS500_.jpg

I have a friend who is a wizard with vintage hairstyles, and she recommended it a long time ago already... :)

I just got her makeup book yesterday. I am looking forward to giving it a try as I have no clue when it comes to makeup.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
thank you Miss G! :)

Lots of smashing finds on this thread in the last few days! Well done all! :)

I went ahead with a purchase that I've been uhmming and aahhing over for months! I finally bought a pair of remix vintage Ritas! Yay! I'm going to wear them for my wedding day (that's how I justified it, you see).

re-mix_rita_red_back.jpg

thedanu

Familiar Face
thank you HepKitty! I'm really looking forward to learning some proper tricks and get to experimenting a bit with my hair, hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures with the outcome in a few weeks! :)

good look with the makeup book deadpandiva! Looking forward to pictures :)

that sounds like a really good excuse LinaSofia :-D
and congratulations!

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I received the U.S.N sweetheart compact I ordered from Etsy, and bought one at the antique mall. But I've got a problem with the brass one. The mirror was loose, but unbroken, so I glued it back in. The glue didn't hold. It appears that the mirror has come detached in such a way, that I can't open the compact! Any suggestions?

The Navy one is much prettier than the picture. It's made of some material that mimics mother of pearl.

2011-08-07224652.jpg

2011-08-07224956.jpg

thedanu

Familiar Face
I received the U.S.N sweetheart compact I ordered from Etsy, and bought one at the antique mall. But I've got a problem with the brass one. The mirror was loose, but unbroken, so I glued it back in. The glue didn't hold. It appears that the mirror has come detached in such a way, that I can't open the compact! Any suggestions?

You've probably already tried and I'm not very sure it would help, but how about placing the powder so that the mirror would be on the lower part, and gently moving/tapping it so that hopefully it will fall back into place again and you can open the compact? If that wouldn't help, you could maybe try to see if there's any screws you can unscrew, I guess there should be at least a couple on one side. You'll probably need a reallysmall screwdriver, but sometimes the really sharp kitchen knives also do the job. I really hope you'll get it fixed!
And whenever you manage to open it and glue the mirror back in, you could maybe bring the whole thing to some handcraft shop and ask them for a glue that will stay on those materials :)

wahine

Practically Family
very nice compacts! (since I'm of the barbarian type who 'repairs' old stuff with double-faced adhesive band, I got no good advice)

My latest flea market / thrift finds:

A few magazines (one of them with loads of knitting patterns) of 1956, '59 and '61
and a 'leg rocker', probably from the 60s - not in the best condition but still quite useful

A valet stand and trouser press,
I don't know when this was made, I guess also in the 50s or maybe early 60s

As it seems, the "Windsor Pressmaster / Pressomatic" (aka "Corby Trouser Press") is in production from the 30s till today. In the 60s they started to become electrified (which mine isn't). I tried to find more about it on the web (esp. hoping to find an old magazine advertisement or smth like that) but only found some scarce info on British websites; my model says "US patent" though.
If any of you knows more about it, please let me know.

http://youtu.be/7nsDAdtfcIM

ps: I got some stuff from my grandma's (she moved to a retirement home recently) - where do you put things like that? They're not exactly 'purchased'.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
thank you Miss G! :)

Lots of smashing finds on this thread in the last few days! Well done all! :)

I went ahead with a purchase that I've been uhmming and aahhing over for months! I finally bought a pair of remix vintage Ritas! Yay! I'm going to wear them for my wedding day (that's how I justified it, you see).

re-mix_rita_red_back.jpg

Gorgeous shoes - one of my favourite style of Remixs - and best of luck for your Big Day - when is it? :)

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Thank you Thedanu, hailey greenhat and Miss G! :) Can't wait for them to arrive. Miss G, the wedding will be in early October hopefully (still need to pull off a couple of details, but fingers crossed).

W-D Forties

Practically Family
You've probably already tried and I'm not very sure it would help, but how about placing the powder so that the mirror would be on the lower part, and gently moving/tapping it so that hopefully it will fall back into place again and you can open the compact? If that wouldn't help, you could maybe try to see if there's any screws you can unscrew, I guess there should be at least a couple on one side. You'll probably need a reallysmall screwdriver, but sometimes the really sharp kitchen knives also do the job. I really hope you'll get it fixed!
And whenever you manage to open it and glue the mirror back in, you could maybe bring the whole thing to some handcraft shop and ask them for a glue that will stay on those materials :)

Try Araldite. It's a 2 part epoxy resin that will glue just about anything.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Best of luck with your plans LinaSofia!

DPD - what a great hat - I love the little brooch on it!

I've been after an animal print swing coat for years:

il_570xN_221876557.jpg

This sweet (and what looks very soft) little swing coat was a steal:

il_570xN_260364028.jpg

This suit is NWT and a perfect fit - incredible really:

il_570xN_261793005.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran