Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Flicka

One Too Many
Here at least gentlemen's wardrobes from the 20s-40s are among the more expensive things at auction houses - I've seen them go for between 8000 - 12000 SEK (which should be abt $1000-1600). I'd consider £500 to be pretty ordinary.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Old wardrobes just aren't that popular in England - they do tend to go cheap at auction, but sometimes they are also cheap on Ebay, and then you have to arrange to go get them or have them couriered to you! Our old one at the boy's parent's house we bought on Ebay and it turned out to be a Utility one. That has the little celluloid labels for items, and a tin box on the inside labelled 'camphor' for mothballs!

Miss T, you've seen the inside of our wardrobes. Glass fronted shelves.... :p

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I have 2 Utility wardrobes that cost a princely 99p each on ebay! Mind you, I had to hire a van, get help, drive a round trip of about 100 miles...

ariellah

New in Town
I bought these wonderful 1950s earrings and i can't wait for them to arrive! the colour fits perfectly to my new 60s dress, which is currently at a local tailoring shop for some changings. I will post some pictures of the dress when it is ready (and i will wear the earrings of course :) )

I don't own this picture, by the way

Last edited:

wahine

Practically Family
Welcome on board, Ariellah!

Those earrings are very pretty (at first sight, I thought the angel is the earring, not the green rhinestones :eusa_doh:)! Is the dress of a similar color?

ps. we don't care too much about picture copyright here, can't compare it to a regular German forum, so don't worry about it.

Last edited:

wahine

Practically Family
I got a "new" sewing machine.
Yay! :D

Actually I was hoping to find an earlier model, but I gave up searching after a year or so. Just couldn't find an affordable well working electrified model earlier than this mail order "Privileg", supposedly from the early 80s (although I think it looks a bit earlier, esp. the cabinet).

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars

Those earrings are very pretty (at first sight, I thought the angel is the earring, not the green rhinestones :eusa_doh:)! Is the dress of a similar color?

ps. we don't care too much about picture copyright here, can't compare it to a regular German forum, so don't worry about it.

I thought the exact same thing, hahaha. :)

Great earrings!

ariellah

New in Town

thank you :)
yes, the colour is similar (as far as i can see, because they still didn't arrive so i only know the photo)

Last edited:

swinggal

One Too Many
Same here in Oz. My art deco dresser set, which I had valued, is worth $2000+, but that one is amazing quality. I bought the set for $300 originally at a thrift store that had no idea of it's worth (2 huge wardrobes with curved doors and a dresser with glass tops and chair). The other set I have, which is a gentleman's wardrobe (which I use in my lounge room as a dvd cabinet) and the dresser (in the spare room) were only about $50 each. They are both very streamlined and amazing pieces. Depends on quality and where they came from. French art deco furniture tends to be a lot more expensive and ornate. Thrift stores sell they cheaply but antique stores do not.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Swinggal, that is very true. We have a set of two wardrobes, dressing table and bedside cabinets that we believe is by the London maker Epstein and that did cost more, but it is fabulous birds eye maple in a very Deco style.

I say we believe it's by Epstein as they didn't actually label any of their pieces! Nevertheless, it is very high quality.

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
A little off topic, but then again we are still on the subject of furniture, so I thought I may as well ask in here! I bought a rather lovely furniture catalogue for ‘The Times Furnishing Company’ toady and have tried to research the history but to no avail- does anybody know when the company was founded (?) as this info should be able to date my catalogue pretty well…. I shall keep on searching in the meantime though!

K.McG

New in Town
a few of my goodwill finds

IMG_7231.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg

wahine

Practically Family
K.McG, what wonderful finds! I love esp. the hat!
I've been looking for such a thing for ages, but never found one.

I even tried to make one myself, don't ask about the results :D

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
Oh, Lady! I envy you! Those shoes are real beauties!!! :D

I haven't had any thrifting luck lately (other than the dress I posted) :( Esp. with shoes. I'm hopeful though -- I'm going to a more suburban Savers this weekend, maybe I'll have more luck there... I'm soooo tired of only finding stuff from GAP and Forever 21 >.< Shoes are always esp. bad around here... boooo :(

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Off topic!

On the subject of furniture - is there a thread on restoring Utility furniture? I have several peices, including my bedroom suite and a side table that are laminated and varnished oak and over time the varnish has dried out and looks a but patchy and flakey. I'm wary of sanding or stripping it as I don;t know how thick or robust the veneer is and don't want to make things worse!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points