Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I seriously have a coat problem. I told myself last fall no more coats. I bought 3 since then. :( I have a problem with willpower.

wineguy- that outfit is to die for! Remind your wife how lucky she is. ;)

MissGolightly that dress is beautiful. Makes me think of summer, lying on the back deck with a nice summery drink in hand!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Sheeplady - Another coat addict! I think I love coats more than shoes (and that's saying something!) - you can get years and years out of a coat once you look after it so they are an investment.

Thank you for you lovely compliment on my dress (I think I now have seven Cover Girl of Miami dresses) - I agree, it's very Summery - if I don't get to wear it here I will at least get to wear it on holidays.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sheeplady - Another coat addict! I think I love coats more than shoes (and that's saying something!) - you can get years and years out of a coat once you look after it so they are an investment.

Thank you for you lovely compliment on my dress (I think I now have seven Cover Girl of Miami dresses) - I agree, it's very Summery - if I don't get to wear it here I will at least get to wear it on holidays.

You're welcome. :)

You know, if you get enough coats, that helps prevent wear too. Because then you can rotate them. ;) Needless to say, I have no concerns about wear. I also have more coats than shoes (some of that is finicky feet). The worse thing for my pocketbook and closet is the thrift store. I find so many vintage inspired coats that I can't help myself. I try to stay away from the coat rack, but occasionally they sneak a coat into the blazer rack. Then I can't help myself, I have to go to the coat rack. :)

Flicka

One Too Many
Just bought 2 pairs of shoes that the seller at least claimed were 30s.

One pair looks virtually unused:

142784871_4.jpg

The other was very much used but so elegant so how could I resist?

142785535_3.jpg

Oops, slipped and bought a 3rd pair from the same seller!

142786194_2.jpg

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
You're welcome. :)

You know, if you get enough coats, that helps prevent wear too. Because then you can rotate them. ;)

That's what I tell myself about shoes, bags, scarves, gloves, dresses.........;)

Take comfort that you are buying from the thrift store (so not spending too much - I tell myself this all the time) and that you are recycling clothing - that borders on virtue!

Flicka

One Too Many
Yes, Flicka, they are DEFINITELY 1930s! The first pair are amazing.

From the photo of the soles, they've barely been walked in. The seller told me all three pairs had been her mother's and that she never used the first pair (it's a size smaller than the others so I'm guessing it didn't fit). She said her mother had cherished and treated them with care so I assured her that so would I. I just hope they all fit. Otherwise, I'll pass them on to another good home!

So, tell me, vintage-savvy gals, how do I take care of these in the best way? Do I resole them etc? Anything else I should do for the more worn ones (except use shoe blocks, that is)? And should I have new, protective soles fitted to the unused pair or simply only wear them indoors? Because I have to wear them - if they fit, that is.

There's a really great, exclusive shoe workshop near where I work where they're great craftsmen - they did a beautiful job fixing the strap on an old alligator handbag for me a while back - should I ask them for advice?

W-D Forties

Practically Family
From the photo of the soles, they've barely been walked in. The seller told me all three pairs had been her mother's and that she never used the first pair (it's a size smaller than the others so I'm guessing it didn't fit). She said her mother had cherished and treated them with care so I assured her that so would I. I just hope they all fit. Otherwise, I'll pass them on to another good home!

So, tell me, vintage-savvy gals, how do I take care of these in the best way? Do I resole them etc? Anything else I should do for the more worn ones (except use shoe blocks, that is)? And should I have new, protective soles fitted to the unused pair or simply only wear them indoors? Because I have to wear them - if they fit, that is.

There's a really great, exclusive shoe workshop near where I work where they're great craftsmen - they did a beautiful job fixing the strap on an old alligator handbag for me a while back - should I ask them for advice?

Personally, I would never use rubber soles on leather soled shoes, especially vintage ones - that is the advice I was given years ago. They are too heavy, upset the balance of the shoe and can cause the uppers to pull away from the sole. Maybe your shoe repairer can put on a leather version?

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Miss Golightly, you have such a stunning wardrobe! When are you going to post pictures of you wearing all the lovely things you show us only on mannequins? I long to see them on a real person!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Personally, I would never use rubber soles on leather soled shoes, especially vintage ones - that is the advice I was given years ago. They are too heavy, upset the balance of the shoe and can cause the uppers to pull away from the sole. Maybe your shoe repairer can put on a leather version?

I didn't even know rubber could be put on leather soles till my cobbler (a man who knows women love their shoes) suggested it for extending the life on the leather soles of a pair of Remix shoes. That was several years ago and I've had him do it on vintage shoes and all my leather soled shoes. The best way to describe it would be if you stepped on a thin layer of strong rubber and that rubber stuck perfectly to the ball of your foot and up to the toes of your shoes. It's great and I haven't had any problems with it. Flicka's shoes are gorgeous (the 1st pair makes me quite green with envy :) - I would hope a cobbler would be honest and knowledgeable enough about how to preserve and condition them and not suggest anything that would ruin them.

swinggal

One Too Many
Bought these amazing 40s heels last weekend but they are too small. Selling them on if anyone is interested juts PM me. Size 5.5 with a very cool ankle strap. Sz 5.5 B

il_fullxfull.334124330.jpg

il_fullxfull.334124338.jpg

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
They are lovely.... well, more than lovely actually! My condolences, as I know how it feels when you find the most amazing shoes only to find they don’t fit :(

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer

I've always get rubber sticker soles put on all my vintage shoes when they need it- some even come with their original ye olde ones still on! Phillips seem to be the best of the old 'uns.... not sure if they are still made by them? Now, one thing I will say is that if the shoes leathers haven't been worn much it's bet to wear and ruff them up a bit beforehand, just to give the stickers something to stick on to- well, that’s advice given to me by my grannie, and in my opinion, grannie knows everything! ;)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I've always get rubber sticker soles put on all my vintage shoes when they need it- some even come with their original ye olde ones still on! Phillips seem to be the best of the old 'uns.... not sure if they are still made by them? Now, one thing I will say is that if the shoes leathers haven't been worn much it's bet to wear and ruff them up a bit beforehand, just to give the stickers something to stick on to- well, that’s advice given to me by my grannie, and in my opinion, grannie knows everything! ;)

I send all my vintage shoes to a most amazing bootmaker I discovered near me and I usually get rubber soles stuck on - it does depend on the type of shoe, obviously. Phillips Stick-A-Soles are no longer made, but I have asked him to keep an eye out incase he discovers any old stock hanging about!

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Flicka - those 30s shoes are fantastic!! The first pair is incredible!

The one pair of 40s shoes that I have been wearing regularly I've just been walking on the original leather soles, and they seem to be holding up really well, including the hard rubber tip on the heels. But I do try not to wear them in the rain.
I've been looking for a good cobbler because Timpson's just don't do a great job in my opinion and I don't want to trust them with my vintage shoes... independent cobblers seem very hard to find though!

On a different topic, here's a set I bought on ebay the other day. 50s silk scarf, bag and purse.
safe_image.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran