Show Us Your Purchases!

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by Lauren, Dec 1, 2005.

1. MissLaurieMarie

MissLaurieMarie One of the Regulars

Woohoo! Don't you just love it when that happens? My question is what is she? (besides adorable).

2. DonnaP

DonnaP Familiar Face

Last weekend was our city-wide garage sales and I found a number of lovely things:

The woman I bought this from said it was a little boy's suit from the 1930's, worn in Czechoslovakia. I think there might have been an undershirt, the shorts have buttonholes, but the top has no buttons, nor evidence of once having buttons. It fits my nine-year-old budding vintage wearing daughter. I paid 9.00. She had a smaller navy blue wool suit, and I regret not buying it.

[​IMG]

Each drawer has 8-10 wooden spools of thread, some unopened. Mostly polyester, but two spools of lovely, lovely silk thread.
    [​IMG]

One sale had fabric for 1.00 a yard. Mostly double knit and upholstery, but I found some treasures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll use the fabric to make some new dresses with my recent Ebay pattern purchases
    [​IMG]

3. lolly_loisides

lolly_loisides One Too Many

^^^^^^
    That sailor suit is darling DonnaP.

4. W-D Forties

W-D Forties Practically Family

You have a city-wide garage sale? Wow, why don't more places do that, what a great idea!

5. DonnaP

DonnaP Familiar Face

It seems to be fairly common around here, different suburbs will have city wide garage sales and sidewalk sales, local businesses will have maps of all the sales in the area. It's great, you just drive around until you are ready to drop :D

6. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Here is the link: http://www.rocketoriginals.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=LANA
    That should take you straight to the page. They are showing as out of stock,
    probably because they were so popular at the swingjive festival. It's worth sending
    them an email, to contact you when they have more stock. Note too, that the UK price
    is £75 that's about $112. But, £15/$22, of that is our tax, for which you are exempt.
    You will have to pay post & packaging, and I expect Uncle Sam might want to slap
    a bit of import duty on it, but all in all, I expect they will set you back about a hundred bucks.

7. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

[​IMG]

Found this for a song on eBay.

8. swinggal

swinggal One Too Many

THAT my friend, is very cool! Tiki Ti!!!

9. W-D Forties

W-D Forties Practically Family

Oohh, I wish we did that over here! Most of our suburbs arn't that big, but I bet it'd be popular. When I moved to this house 10 years ago I did a 'yard sale', still pretty unusual over here and was amazed how busy I was. I do live on a busy road though. The neighbours looked a bit horrified, it's not quite the 'done thing' in my area!

10. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

Shes a string holder. You'd tend to put them in your kitchen if you were wrapping meat or something else that needed to be tied or contained. Or on your sewing area as well.

11. wahine

wahine Practically Family

DonnaP, those fabrics are wonderful. I'd love to see some of the results when you sewed one of those patterns. I esp. like the pattern in the left, I'm a fifties girl.

I was lucky finding some magazines at my local thrift shop. The "Weltbild" are not ladies' magazines, but sort of general culture, lifestyle, science mags.
    [​IMG]
    The crafts magazines have mostly knitting patterns, but also some crocheting and sewing patterns.
    [​IMG]

At the same store, I found a new purse. Looks black in the picture but is very dark brown. I love the shape and the fact that it has a little extra department on the outside and an attachable long strap (so useful!).
    The other case in the pic is for my camera equipment, fits quite nicely to the old Leica.
    [​IMG]

Some nice turn-of-the-century books, not in the best condition but seem like made for my wannabe Art Nouveau bedroom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Katinka von K.

Katinka von K. A-List Customer

Congratulations on the knitting magazines. I have/had (sold the one on the far right) 3 of the Beyers and really like them. Esp. the boleros and cardigans shown.
    I also like the purses you bought.

13. wahine

wahine Practically Family

Thanks! It was very unusual that they had those at the thrift store. 3 of them were doubles, I got them anyway, to sell or to trade - so if you're interested... :D But, since you say you already have 3 of them (or did you mean 3 other Beyers?), it's unlikely that I got any that you don't have.

14. Katinka von K.

Katinka von K. A-List Customer

I have the Beyers shown except the one with the woman in the blue vest on the cover. I have others as well but most are pre-1955 as I prefer the clothes of that time :)

15. Vixen

Vixen New in Town

[​IMG]

I just recently got this gorgeous hat from a vintage store in Campbell River, British Columbia.
    It fits me perfectly and was a steal at $15.

16. Miss Golightly

Miss Golightly Call Me a Cab

Cute hat Vixen!

I got this Dynasty British Crown Colony of Hong Kong dress off Etsy - fell in love with the colours and pattern:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Louise Anne

Louise Anne Suspended

Oh spot on, the only thing is that it will look a lot better on you Miss G

18. Miss Golightly

Miss Golightly Call Me a Cab

Thank you Paul - you're very kind! :)

19. HannahJane

HannahJane Familiar Face

[​IMG]
    New sling back shoes I found in Sheffield at the weekend. I'm not sure how vintage they are but I love them!

20. lolly_loisides

lolly_loisides One Too Many

^^^^^^
    I think they are fab! Great find HannahJane :)