Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Frenchy56 - thank you to you too! Yes, the dress is gold with gold piping detail - if you were looking for something similar there are a few dresses on Etsy along these lines (one very similar to the one I bought, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same maker). I was thinking it could be nice for my wedding anniversary next month or I might keep it for Christmas (very flashy and festive!), eitherway it will be
worn! Congrats on your finds on Ebay - 99p for both is incredible!

Thanks, Miss G! And I am, sadly, well aware that there are plenty of gorgeous gold vintage dresses on Etsy! :p I think I'll end up making one, eventually. But thanks for the tip! And by the way, I've also been leaning towards early 60s styles, though I'm a 50s gal at heart- those bateau necklines! Those bracelet sleeves! so neat, so elegant. A bit OT but I got this pattern a while back and I can't wait to make the left version in slinky red double knit jersey for smart daytime:

il_570xN.350344588.jpg

Okay, back on topic now! :D

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Wow that pattern is fabulous! If that dress was currently for sale on Etsy I would be instantly adding it to my wardrobe! Best of luck with creating it and please do post some photos when it's finished - I would love to see it!

Flicka

One Too Many
Like I said earlier I bought a stack of rationing coupons from WWI. A few of them:

d8495ff0.jpg

da13665b.jpg

af68d649.jpg

And a special pattern edition of Allers from 1912 (my mother actually subscribes to Allers so it's still around):

77ce4b63.jpg

There are patterns for everything in it:

620e1f2a.jpg

But, as you can see, to use the actual real sized pattern chart, you need to focus:

008a1246.jpg

wahine

Practically Family
tricky marketing

This weekend, I found two Golden Rule books plus one supplement on the "Golden Oldies" flea market. I got them at a pretty good price, the lady who sold them didn't seem to know the usual prices.

The 1941 Austrian edition isn't in a very good condition but it has many additional patterns, compared to the 1940/41 German edition that I already have.

The 1955/56 German edition (which is in an almost perfect condition) seemed to have a lot additional patterns, compared to the 1956 edition I already have, but at home I found that I was fooled: almost all of the patterns are the same - they just made new drawings! :eeek:
The patterns of the fabrics differ in many cases, but the dresses are definitely the same (top: 1956 ed., bottom: 1955/56 ed.)

Now, there we have a case of tricky marketing in the fifties... :D
I was fooled, but I'm not disappointed since it's still so much fun to look at the pictures. I might sell this one anyway.

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
This weekend, I found two Golden Rule books plus one supplement on the "Golden Oldies" flea market. I got them at a pretty good price, the lady who sold them didn't seem to know the usual prices.

The 1941 Austrian edition isn't in a very good condition but it has many additional patterns, compared to the 1940/41 German edition that I already have.

The 1955/56 German edition (which is in an almost perfect condition) seemed to have a lot additional patterns, compared to the 1956 edition I already have, but at home I found that I was fooled: almost all of the patterns are the same - they just made new drawings! :eeek:
The patterns of the fabrics differ in many cases, but the dresses are definitely the same (top: 1956 ed., bottom: 1955/56 ed.)

Now, there we have a case of tricky marketing in the fifties... :D
I was fooled, but I'm not disappointed since it's still so much fun to look at the pictures. I might sell this one anyway.

So you are now starting to collect "Goldene Schnitt"-books? ;) How much do you own, four? I´m jealous!

wahine

Practically Family
Yes, it's four now. I had to stop myself from jumping when that lady on the flea market told her price - it was already below the usual and she was still willing to bargain! :bounce: yay!
I'll very likely sell the one with all those double patterns (1955/56 edition, so probably not interesting for you). I searched the new 41 edition for pants for you, but I didn't find any. :( Only two or three play suits for little girls.
Love the black dress you posted on the show us what you made thread, btw. It looks pretty and so very wearable. You're clever to make things that you can wear on an every day basis. I tend to choose patterns that are suitable for a photo shooting or a festival but not to wear in the streets.

Last edited:

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
Yes, it's four now. I had to stop myself from jumping when that lady on the flea market told her price - it was already below the usual and she was still willing to bargain! :bounce: yay!
I'll very likely sell the one with all those double patterns (1955/56 edition, so probably not interesting for you). I searched the new 41 edition for pants for you, but I didn't find any. :( Only two or three play suits for little girls.
Love the black dress you posted on the show us what you made thread, btw. It looks pretty and so very wearable. You're clever to make things that you can wear on an every day basis. I tend to choose patterns that are suitable for a photo shooting or a festival but not to wear in the streets.

You´re so lucky to find them! I´ve been digging through dozens of boxes full of books on flea markets without any hope :D

Don´t worry about the pants. I´m waiting for a huge amount (2.5kg!) of vintage patterns/magazines to arrive at my home, chances are that there´s a pants pattern among it.
Also don´be fooled by what I´m sewing. The clothes may be wearable for all days, but I have a shoe problem. "Oh, these would look great on pictures, I need them!" Yes, that´s me.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Just got this cute rhinestone-tipped starburst pin (prong-set!):

$(KGrHqJHJCIE-pUw2Uf8BP2epQvQm!~~60_57.JPG

I was hesitatingly debating whether one can wear red, white and blue together without it immediately looking like a patriotic gesture :)D), but the rhinestone tips won me over... I have a thing for starbursts and all three colours are mainstays of my wardrobe.

I'm thinking 50s, maybe 60s at latest? It has a 'V' shaped bar on the back and the colours make me wonder if it's even older (i.e. a wartime thing), but regardless, it's lovely!

Last edited:

Flicka

One Too Many
Bought a vintage slip for practically nothing. The seller swore it was genuine '20s and by the look of it, she may well be right. Displayed on my mannequin:

2e180299.jpg

It has some nice whitework embroidery in front that doesn't show in the pic and there's a little lace around the neck/arms.

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
paket2.png

nearly one kg of patterns/magazines

and something my Mr. won me on ebay:
paket3.png

2.5kg of mostly pattern sheets and some magazines (also incl. patterns).

Alltogether I paid a bit more than 20€ incl. shipping :)

DonnaP

Familiar Face
This isn't exactly a purchase, more of an acquisition. The facebook page for the Costumer's Guide had a post a few weeks ago--a theater in Kalamazoo didn't have the space to store all of their costumes, so they were giving away some of the more damaged pieces. They went so quickly--I saw the post four hours after it was made, and managed to get one dress. It arrived last week and it's actually in pretty good shape.

The theater said it was a 1930's day dress. I'm not sure if it's silk or rayon, I didn't do a fiber test but I feel it handles more like rayon.
dressshoes001.jpg

dressshoes002.jpg

Most of the damage is the fabric splitting along the neckline (and I know having it on the hanger isn't helping, I removed it after the pictures).
dressshoes003.jpg

Selfishly I wish I had seen the post earlier, they had some amazing things that would have been great just to have for pattern purposes. But at least I got something--I wasn't able to sleep, so about 3AM got online and saw the post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points