Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
The moment I saw this dress on Kitty Romano in Mad Men I fell in love! I've been collecting Cover Girl of Miami dresses since - think I have around ten or more now - to find the blue version and then the red one made my day!

I saw the yellow version for sale a couple of years ago and for some unknown reason didn't buy it (why?!!!!) so if I get a chance to add it to my collection I will.

lisa521

New in Town
My wedding dress
Link:http://www.inweddingdress.com/style-bc475.html

browse.php

wahine

Practically Family
20s- inspired beaded dress bought in San Francisco, CA at Decades of Fashion. Got the vintage earrings and choker, and peach 40s slip worn underneath there also.

full length shot:
555538_326399340795784_600343814_n.jpg

You look so splendid together! Wow!

I stumbled on a flea market the other day (thanks to our public transport system, they just removed a station without telling, so I got out on the wrong spot). There, I got a vinyl singles album (with several crappy singles in it), a wall clock, a pair of two-tone shoes, and a set of spirit glasses . Nothing spectacular, but at 1 Euro each, I think it's bunch of lucky finds.

The glasses fit nicely in my new display cabinet.

excuse the bad photo quality, my camera's batteries are down at the moment, so I took them with the mobile camera

Alice Blue

One of the Regulars
I got this hat from the Vermont Country Store. They call it a cloche for some reason, which I don´t think is quite right. It´s actually pretty flattering, and doesn´t make me look like I´m trying to ape the trilby style that younger people are wearing.

wmns-HatsGloves_63866.jpg

Last edited:

vintageTink

One Too Many
The moment I saw this dress on Kitty Romano in Mad Men I fell in love! I've been collecting Cover Girl of Miami dresses since - think I have around ten or more now - to find the blue version and then the red one made my day!

I saw the yellow version for sale a couple of years ago and for some unknown reason didn't buy it (why?!!!!) so if I get a chance to add it to my collection I will.
Very nice!

Flicka

One Too Many
A while back I scored some shoes in a thrift shop. I swear 3 out of the 4 pairs had never been properly worn at all!

These seemed virtually untouched:

I'm thinking these are maybe 1960s?

Extremely comfortable:

These had been worn but they were in excellent shape and so comfortable I can walk around for a whole day in them, no problem:

Alice Blue

One of the Regulars
I bought this vintage knitting pattern on Etsy. The seller thought it was from the forties, but I'm not entirely sure. It was affordable and I haven't seen anything else quite like it so I decided to add it to the ahem, collection.

il_570xN.392738180_otjm.jpg

wahine

Practically Family
I got a new handbag, not vintage but vintage-inspired. Although I'm usually not the impulsive sort of shopper, I totally unreasonably fell in love with it and just had to buy it! :D
It's not only pretty (in my opinion) but also very practical (many separate compartements, short handles + attachable long shoulder strap). yay!

(aside from a small scarf, this is my first leopard pattern thing)

wahine

Practically Family
BlackDahlia - now, that is a cute vase! I wonder how big is it?
---

After my latest purchases, I must face it now: I'm addicted to buying gloves and stockings. It wouldn't be as pathetic as it is if I'd wear them! But I don't really. Well, sometimes, on a special day, I wear vintage stockings, but that seldom occurs. And the gloves - I never really dare because I think it's so far from modern standards that I'd just draw too much attention wearing them. :eusa_doh:

Well, here are my latest finds:
a bunch of nice magazines from 1960 (the vendor told me "I had SO many from the fifties, but somebody else got them first" *sigh*)

A pair of blue gloves, apparently unused, and a Tommy Dorsey record

A pair of white gloves, unused, and three pairs of French "DD Sans Couture" nylons, also unused. I think the package is exquisite, they are wrapped in cellophane and golden firm paper (the shop wrote the price on the front, with a permanent marker, ugh!)

Any ideas on the age of these? They don't have seams besides at the soles.
Or does anyone know what that French note means? :confused:

I also got a weird German 1953 book on outer and inner beauty. "Auch Du bist schön" ("You are beautiful as well") is a collection of somehow incoherent hints, thoughts, photos (mainly of uncredited Hollywood stars), and information on the latest developments in the world of beauty.

(what you see in the bottom picture isn't the latest experiment of Dr. Frankenstein, but an electronic muscle stimulator that makes the musles "do gymnastics")

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hi wahine,
I haven’t measured her, but I will and let you know. I’d imagine she’s around 6 inches tall or so, but I’m bad at estimating length. I have a ton of lady head vases, you can see them all on my blog if you’re interested: http://theloveofvintage.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/ladyheadvases/
I’m with you on the stockings & gloves obsession. I’ve amassed quite a collection myself. Your new purchases are lovely! Adore the blue gloves.
X
BD

Flicka

One Too Many
Got a pair of earrings at an antiques store in Hampstead today. They're silver and Norwegian (evident from the stamps) and the seller claimed they are 30s-40s which seems right from the look of the clips. I suppose I could verify year from the stamps but haven't got round to it yet. Either way, I think they're they're very pretty and I rather regret not getting a similar brooch at the same shop.

Flicka

One Too Many
Got a pair of earrings at an antiques store in Hampstead today. They're silver and Norwegian (evident from the stamps) and the seller claimed they are 30s-40s which seems right from the look of the clips. I suppose I could verify year from the stamps but haven't got round to it yet. Either way, I think they're they're very pretty and I rather regret not getting a similar brooch at the same shop.

wahine

Practically Family
Black Dahlia, that's a nice blog you have there! And all the beautiful head vases! I don't think I ever saw one in Germany, maybe they didn't sell them over here at all. This board makes me learn of so many wonderful vintage things of which many can't (or hardly can) be found in my country; like dress clips.

Flicka, those ear clips are really pretty and they look like mint. Did the seller have that matching brooch? Couldn't you go back to get it then?

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
While these gloves aren't vintage, they look vintage "inspired" to me. I ordered them in black and loved them so much that I just ordered them in tan, burgundy, and grey also. I've started watching Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and fell in love with the burgundy-red gloves the character Phryne wears in the show and the ones I've bought are very close to the same color.
51vl-rhzxuL__AA160_.jpg

Dorota

New in Town
I just bought two books - one is in Polish 'Moda w przedwojennej Polsce' (Fashion in pre-war Poland) by Anna Sieradzka, interesting reading and good few photos of original garments like these late twenties summer dresses:

and another one is 'Pretty Things. The Last Generation of American Burlesque Queens' by Liz Goldwyn. I haven't read this one yet, but it looks promising - lots and lots of picturess, drawings of costumes etc.

wahine

Practically Family
Divinadoll, that looks splendid! Is it meant for outdoors or as a home garment? (just asking because it doesn't seem to have any kind of fastening)
The pleats on the shoulders are neat!

DivinaDoll

New in Town
Thank you Wahine. :)
I believe it's for outdoors as it's completely lined and made of wool. The built in tie is pretty nice.
It's a tad large for me so I may get it taken in 'cause I like the shoulders too. I hope the tailor does't mess it up. :/

Divinadoll, that looks splendid! Is it meant for outdoors or as a home garment? (just asking because it doesn't seem to have any kind of fastening)
The pleats on the shoulders are neat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana