Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Rosie

One Too Many
Katydid, that's a nice collection you have going there.

I'm trying not to buy much stuff, I shop way too much as it is but, couldn't pass this up, it's moonstone and lucite, late '30s:

lucgrap-br.jpg

also, bought a lot of vintage slips, all in my size. Some bigger sized woman must have sold off all of her things or passed awas sadly, but, there have been lots of big girl stuff around lately. Couldn't pass up the slips, got 12 of them for a nice price. I LOVE vintage slips.

533.jpg

Also bought two new vintage lane bryant catalogs, I will post pics soon like I've promised.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
As some of you may know, my obsession with dressing gowns only continues and I bought this beauty off of eBay from a lady in Australia. It will be perfect for wrapping myself in on a cold San Francisco morning.

2002376030730475850_rs.jpg

But after this I am officially taken a break from eBay. Must. Save. Money. For. Wedding!

Sunny

One Too Many
OK, OK, I'll jump in!

This dress is 1940s, saith the seller:

moss40s1.jpg

moss40s2.jpg

The green is a lot darker in person. It looks smashing with my snakeskin heels! The sleeves are actually dolman (cut in one with the bodice), but underarm darts make them fit very nicely.

And this one, I'm guessing postwar 1940s; perhaps closer to the early '50s, because of the absolute lack of shoulder shaping.

91_1.JPG

6d_1.JPG

It has some delightful construction features, much that can't even be seen because of the printed material. You can see the big inverted box pleat at the center front of the skirt; what you can't see are the pleats that are at the side seams, like half a box pleat. The skirt front is gathered gently over the pleats. The skirt back, on the other hand, is a standard two-piece gored skirt, with no gathers. It's fitted with very narrow darts - two on each side, for a total of four. I've never seen four darts on a skirt back, and they hardly even show. There are only two darts on the bodice back.

Of course I love the bust shirring. And the elbow sleeves - yum! There are two darts at the elbow, of course; but there are also three pin tucks inside the elbow, to give it that curved hang.

The fabric is lovely, too. If this is genuine vintage rayon, I'm liking it a lot. The only sad thing is that it's missing its belt. Neat thread belt loops, no belt. :( This dress is probably a size too small for me (meaning my hips), but I've been losing weight and it fits my upper body to a T. Plus, while on the original lady the skirt was probably mid- to lower-calf (longer than I like), I'm 5'9" and it's a nice length for me. Maybe just a tad high-waisted. :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh wow, CherryRed, those are all incredible purchases. The blue dress is amazing, and those red shoes are simply perfect. Once again, jealous:(
I haven't found anything on ebay in a while. I keep looking, but everything I like either isn't my size or goes for an astronomical price! But, I'll keep looking, hoping, and keeping my fingers crossed that I'll find as great finds as all you ladies have been getting.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh, you all have found some supercute things! *sigh* Im trying to stay on the narrow road of no spending. Well not TRYNG, more like have to :eek:

SO Ill like vicariously through your purchases. Ahhhh.

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
Wow Ladies :eusa_clap I'm drooling over here, give a girl some warning before posting such really cute things like that!

Sunny, if the dress is a little snug, can you release a few of the pleats, just a little to give yourself a bit more room? and if the skirt is a little long, you can cut off some of the bottom and make a belt from that.

I purchased a dress from the late '30s that was a wee bit snug in the hip area (always my problem) so, I chopped off a bit of the bottom adding that to the hip area. I have the room I need for my baum and it's still a really great length.

Sunny

One Too Many
Hehe, thanks for all the enthusiasm, ladies! Makes me feel good that I'm not "throwing" my money away! :eusa_clap

Rosie, it's theoretically possible to add maybe an inch, in the back. (There aren't any darts in the bodice front, and there aren't any pleats in the skirt back!) It would mean taking out two of four skirt darts and both bodice darts, and maybe angling the center back skirt seam. The darts are so small that their absence probably wouldn't affect the shape too much. But this is such lovely material and so well-constructed that I'd hate to take a seam-ripper to it. Frankly, I'd rather suck it in for now and keep exercising. (And maybe it's time to find a girdle! :eek: ) I do so hate alterations! I just did the repair job of a lifetime on one of my ACW dresses, and I think it's scarred me for life. :D

I have considered shortening it and using the extra for a belt. Great minds think alike! For now, I might just get a matching color (like a dull pink) in silk essence at Joann's and make a belt. Even with all this ebay-ing, I can afford an 1/8 yard and a buckle. ;)

How did you add extra in the hip area? (I'm having visions of gussets.. :eek: ) Those '30s skirts can be really long, though. Good thing!

Sunny

One Too Many
OK, I think I get it. Sounds like it'd fit right in with the '30s, with all that interesting and detailed seaming. :eusa_clap

decodoll

Practically Family
Everyone's purchases are so lovely! CherryRed, I'm lusting after your red shoes!

Here is my latest ebay purchase. It's been a whole month since I've purchased vintage on ebay!! Had been saving up for the Vintage Expo. I'm surprised that I was able to go so long! lol

MVC277S_002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot